Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Your round 1 line up

River

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
While I don’t totally disagree with your thoughts, I do think that you have to consider the impact the floods have had on the club. I work with a number of people who have lost everything and it has hit us all hard, still.

It’s hard to explain but there is a heavy malaise over the town and the club will be in that. This event will impact the club whether they want it to or not.
I think you'll find I'm mostly saying the same thing Ian. The city and the region have been smashed and a lot of people are deeply affected and will be for a long time.
I'm saying the club needs to use it as inspiration not an excuse.
Bad things happen to cities around the world and their sporting teams can become beacons of hope.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think you'll find I'm mostly saying the same thing Ian. The city and the region have been smashed and a lot of people are deeply affected and will be for a long time.
Bad things happen to cities around the world and their sporting teams can become beacons of hope.

It's definitely a legitimate concern. Hopefully Green has re-instilled the mental fortitude that we seemed to possess in the first few seasons under him. If there's an excuse the weak minded tend to take it.

It would seem the playing group collectively relaxed last year with the return of JT and Thumper. In hindsight, making that grand final in '17 was probably the worst thing that could've happened in regards to how we performed in 2018. Some guys probably thought everything would just fall into place.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
After yesterday's trials I'll submit this final prediction

1. Kahu
2. Feldt
3. O'Neill
4. Opacic
5. MacDonald
6. Martin
7. Morgan
8. Scott
9. Granville
10. McLean
11. Lolo
12. Hess
13. McGuire

14. Dunn
15. Coops
16. Asiata
17. Jensen

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
i still think Thumper needs to start from the bench.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Agree with thumper to the bench. Also I don’t really understand why we’d have a 33 year old coming off the bench as an impact player (coops). He has to start IMO.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
especially with Coops’s motor, he can play the full 80. It’s a waste of an interchange for a more explosive style player by carrying him on the bench. Until Hess shows more imo, he needs to start from the bench.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He may end up going with Cooper in the 11 but I think Green is going to try and get more creative with interchange strategy this year.

Don't see Scott getting benched to be honest

Tunza

Junior
Reaction score
When Taumalolo played 20 mins on the edge in the second trial he lined up on the right side with Hess shifting across to the left. I'd be very surprised to see Cooper on the bench with Scott a more likely option. I wouldn't be surprised if Hess is the bench forward to make way for Taumalolo in the second row rather than Cooper.

I'm guessing it's Scott on the bench and a more predictable forward pack in Round 1. Only two more sleeps until Teamlist Tuesday, four more sleeps until the season starts and six more sleeps until we send the Dragons back to Sydney with a big fat "L".

Tatedog

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I have posted this before but I think Asiata would be great for that role we saw Taumalolo in, starting on the edge and moving into the middle. He does a great job creating space for the halves but he can be so much more than just a link man in the middle. On top of his current role, a little more of this would be great.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure I have posted this before but I think Asiata would be great for that role we saw Taumalolo in, starting on the edge and moving into the middle. He does a great job creating space for the halves but he can be so much more than just a link man in the middle. On top of his current role, a little more of this would be great.

most under rated player in our team. It’s about time he started in the 13.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I may just read it the wrong way. I wouldn't be surprised if the boys start a bit behind the pace. Time to get the Jenga.

I hope I'm wrong.

Blow by Blow

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I have been thinking that maybe Frances Molo has a lot more upside than I had given him credit for. I used to really rate him before the unfortunate events with James Ackerman. I had written him off when he signed for us as nothing more than a bit player but he has shown a lot of mental fortitude to come back from adversity. It would be great if this could be a break-out year for him.

In other observations seeing Cam Smith control the game when we played Melbourne really clarified for me what Granville has been lacking . The second we had less than two markers or any of the middle forwards were delayed in setting the defensive line Cam would immediately pounce and expose us and we would be on the back foot for the rest of the set. I have been focussing on Granville's poor service and wanting him to run more but we need him to read the defence and take advantage of marker defence and tired forwards so much more than he has been,

Last edited:

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking that maybe Frances Molo has a lot more upside than I had given him credit for. I used to really rate him before the unfortunate events with James Ackerman. I had written him off when he signed for us as nothing more than a bit player but he has shown a lot of mental fortitude to come back from adversity. It would be great if this could be a break-out year for him.

In other observations seeing Cam Smith control the game when we played Melbourne really clarified for me what Granville has been lacking . The second we had less than two markers or any of the middle forwards were delayed in setting the defensive line Cam would immediately pounce and expose us and we would be on the back for the rest of the set. I have been focussing on Granville's poor service and wanting him to run more but we need him to read the defence and take advantage of marker defence and tired forwards so much more than he has been,
When Dunn came on and took advantage of the markers, it really highlighted what we've been missing.

Agreed on Molo, he's been through a lot and is still young for a forward. I thought he looked significantly improved in the trials.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It looks like we have a lot of back up options and our side for Round 1 is not set in stone.

Can't help thinking the same a few years back and we went to chit. Hoping a better outcome this season based on the Trials and how the feeder clubs are going. I have a good feeling about the Pride and Blackhawks but full of apprehension about the COWBOYS even though all signs are extremely positive,