Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Your round 1 line up

Tunza

Junior
Reaction score
1. Hampton
2. Feldt
3. Kahu
4. O'Neill
5. MacDonald
6. Clifford
7. Morgan
8. McGuire
9. Granville
10. McLean
11. Cooper
12. Hess
13. Taumalolo

14. TMM
15. Asiata
16. Scott
17. Dunn

Assumed that Bolton is suspended (swap with Asiata otherwise) and Jensen's ankle isn't 100% (swap with Asiata / Dunn)

ausmojo

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Apparently Nene struggling for Rnd 1 selection on the back of being late to training

Tunza

Junior
Reaction score
Clifford , N Mac , ET , GGM named in q cup so the field is narrowed a bit
All could play the following week for the Cowboys but it looks like they're on the outside looking in. Interesting that Jango, Opacic and Hampton weren't named in any team this weekend. Seems to indicate that Jango has Nene's wing spot for at least round 1 and that Opacic might have sewn up the centre spot across from O'Neill with Hampton on the bench. Asiata, Molo and Dunn haven't been named either, but 5 into 4 doesn't fit.

Based on those assumptions:

1. Kahu
2. Feldt
3. Opacic
4. O'Neill
5. Bowen
6. TMM
7. Morgan
8. McGuire
9. Granville
10. McLean
11. Cooper
12. Hess
13. Taumalolo

14. Hampton
15. Asiata
16. Scott
17. Dunn / Molo

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the players named in QLD Cup could just be there to get a game as they missed last week and some of the players not named could just be having a break.

Clifford is the only one who played last week who's playing this week and he only got half a game last week.

It does look likely that those not named will probably make up the round 1 team but I still reckon if one of the players named this week does everything asked of them they're a good shot at forcing their way in.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think Nene is the only one who will play in Round 1. Green probably wants him to get some game time seeing how he hasn't played in almost 5 months. Clifford will be on the extended bench but won't play.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
After hearing a few interviews my favourite Cowboy for 2019 looks to be John Asiata. He seems to be one of the genuine good guys. I was impressed with his last game and I hope this year he is recognised for his true potential.

I would hate to see him move on from the Cowboys because I think he has so much to offer. He would be perfect for the Titans and I think he and Coach Brennan would link up particularly well.

And I say that in a non sexual way.

Last edited:

Bass Player

Junior
Reaction score
Asiata looks slimmer in that interview, too. If he has a breakout season, look out!

After my initial worries about Clifford seeming terrified to be in an NRL game, I'm convinced he's ready, albeit on trial form alone. I hope that Green has seen a lot more in training to decide on TMM and leave Clifford out and he's not just sticking to his loyalty, all-the-time-they're-winning, etc. I mean, there's sticking to your values and there's being bloodyminded.

I'm most worried about the centres. I like Hampton, but as a utility, not a centre. Isn't there room for TMM and Clifford? Kahu went great at fullback in the trial and I know Green has recruited him as such; but he plays at centre, yeah?

Hampton to the bench, Kahu to Centre, TMM to fullback, Clifford to the halves, O'Neill to Souths.

Last edited:

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I predict that once the team is announced the game day thread will be littered with posts expressing how much Green has "lost it", 'will be sacked in 5 weeks", "too loyal", "Not loyal enough" and "boring"

Spiral

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I predict that once the team is announced the game day thread will be littered with posts expressing how much Green has "lost it", 'will be sacked in 5 weeks", "too loyal", "Not loyal enough" and "boring"
Surely the season will also be over too?

ausmojo

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Rubbish. Always found this forum balanced and full of common sense..... :rolleyes:

River

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I just hope the club doesn't use the Barba situation or the floods (devastating as they might have been) as an excuse for our performances if we struggle. I've heard it drifting into the narrative already and think its poor sports psychology and also just a weak excuse.

1. Barba was always a risk and they knew it when they signed him.
2. Players always get injured and you have to replace them. At least we have had a few weeks and a trial game to get Jordan settled and adjust our game plan.
3. We have had the longest pre-season in about 5 years, with the added advantage of very few rep players joining late.
4. We live in the tropics, where cyclones threaten most years. Surely we plan for some sort of disruption every off-season?

If anything the flooding should bind the team, connect them to each other and the community they represent.

Lets make 2019 a year of overcoming adversity, not a year of excuse. When far too many across our proud region are staring at the loss of everything they have, lets give them a tiny bit of hope, maybe a distraction, a smile. 80 minutes of not thinking about burying stock, or where the next loan repayment is coming from. Let them be proud to be part of the Cowboys family, let them know they matter and that we are in it together.

River

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
After watching the Pride game tonight (they beat last years Premiers), I would table the following observations.
1. Cliff played well, but not amazing, which is to be expected so early in the season. Set up a try with a short kick, almost got a 2nd the same way. Got caught with the ball a couple of times and had one poor restart kick go out on the full, which allowed Redcliffe position to score soon after.
I'd pick him, but I reckon Green will start the season with TMM.
2. Nene Mac was outstanding. If he's not in the Rd1 Cows team then he's REALLY pissed off Greeny. He caught challenging high balls, defended solidly, he carried it back like a bullocking forward and then used his genuine pace to score a 70 meter try. He had another disallowed. Dude has to be a lock for Rd 1.
3. Tuala and GGM were solid without being special.
4. Hola was very impressive and showed real potential. Will watch him with great interest. A season in the QLD Cup will do him real good, but if he keeps developing this season he could push for a bench spot for the Cows.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I just hope the club doesn't use the Barba situation or the floods (devastating as they might have been) as an excuse for our performances if we struggle. I've heard it drifting into the narrative already and think its poor sports psychology and also just a weak excuse.

1. Barba was always a risk and they knew it when they signed him.
2. Players always get injured and you have to replace them. At least we have had a few weeks and a trial game to get Jordan settled and adjust our game plan.
3. We have had the longest pre-season in about 5 years, with the added advantage of very few rep players joining late.
4. We live in the tropics, where cyclones threaten most years. Surely we plan for some sort of disruption every off-season?

If anything the flooding should bind the team, connect them to each other and the community they represent.

Lets make 2019 a year of overcoming adversity, not a year of excuse. When far too many across our proud region are staring at the loss of everything they have, lets give them a tiny bit of hope, maybe a distraction, a smile. 80 minutes of not thinking about burying stock, or where the next loan repayment is coming from. Let them be proud to be part of the Cowboys family, let them know they matter and that we are in it together.
While I don’t totally disagree with your thoughts, I do think that you have to consider the impact the floods have had on the club. I work with a number of people who have lost everything and it has hit us all hard, still.

It’s hard to explain but there is a heavy malaise over the town and the club will be in that. This event will impact the club whether they want it to or not.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I thought Clifford looked to be drifting in and out of the game a bit in defence. One try went straight through him and on another he didn't push across in cover defense when a break was made and the support player who Jake might have covered got the ball and scored.

If I remember right, that was one area he was told to work on so I'm not sure Green will be happy with his game tonight from that perspective. I think he could use a little bit of time to learn how to keep that effort up in defense. He might just need some match fitness because he improved a lot in this area in his last couple of NRL games.

Last edited: