Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Your round 1 line up

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this line-up pretty much focuses on established first graders.

Does not allow our younger talent to come through. Just waiting for injuries to occur to established first graders before giving the younger guys a go is one of the reasons we are in the position we are now. Goodness knows how much talent we have lost due to 'remaining loyal' to the established first graders.
I'd rather we choose the players who will perform the best for the team rather than choose youth just for the sake of it.

Tuala is the only player I'd add to that backline over O'Neill. Spot is totally up for grabs though if Tuala show progress.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I'd rather we choose the players who will perform the best for the team rather than choose youth just for the sake of it.

Tuala is the only player I'd add to that backline over O'Neill. Spot is totally up for grabs though if Tuala show progress.
Some things never change. "Let's wait for an injury". "They will get a go at Origin time". All conservative, maintain the status quo strategies.

Focusing on the present game without considering the future. How many wonderful players have we lost in the last five years because we didn't give the younger guys a go? Someone could write a book about it. Below are some young backs that should be being considered for first grade. In addition to Clifford and new recruits.

• Anderson
  • Russell
  • Tuala
  • Wiltshire
  • Taulagi

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Some things never change. "Let's wait for an injury". "They will get a go at Origin time". All conservative, maintain the status quo strategies.

Focusing on the present game without considering the future. How many wonderful players have we lost in the last five years because we didn't give the younger guys a go? Someone could write a book about it. Below are some young backs that should be being considered for first grade. In addition to Clifford and new recruits.

• Anderson
  • Russell
  • Tuala
  • Wiltshire
  • Taulagi
How many of those players have you seen play? It's the same stuff you've been doing for years, not actually watching the games and just calling for young players to come in who you see listed in the extended squad on the internet without ever seeing them play. Dan Russell has been transitioning to the 2nd row, he's not the exciting young back you think he is. Anderson was dropped from the QLD Cup last year. You were touting Opacic as a speedster yesterday FFS.

You were whinging about losing Curtis Rona while we were winning a premiership, not a skerrick of praise from you when we won the comp.

Last edited:

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
You were touting Opacic as a speedster yesterday FFS.

You were whinging about losing Curtis Rona while we were winning a premiership, not a skerrick of praise from you when we won the comp.
Most of the above two comments are fabricated. Yes, Rona was a big loss. Probably would have represented Australia if he had stayed with us.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
They'll never reach the heights of Round 16, 2008:

View attachment 1245

Leading 28-4 after 50 mins at home and got run down by the Bunnies. Glory years!
I remember that game. John Williams had a chance, after the full time siren, to take the game to golden point with a penalty goal from 40m out - and hit the upright. Wild game.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I would like to see Hampton given a shot at hooker in place of Granville. I just think he deserves a spot somewhere and Jake really hasn't been the same for a couple of years anyway. If that doesn't work out then maybe give Baptiste a go.

I'd also have Jensen over Bolton in the 17. Bolton was that bad last year. I think he should have to prove himself before he comes anywhere near first grade again.

1. Kahu
  2. Feldt
  3. O'Neill
  4. Tuala
  5. MacDonald
  6. Martin
  7. Morgan
  8. Scott
  9. Hampton
  10. McGuire
  11. Cooper
  12. Hess
  13. Taumalolo
  14. Clifford
  15. Asiata
  16. McLean
  17. Jensen
Granville
Baptiste
Lowe
Bolton

Bass Player

Junior
Reaction score
I think the club will be sticking by Bolton for a few games, before gently easing the young gun in.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Jensen is 25 years old. He's already played 35 games including a grand final. After last season I don't believe anyone's selection should be a given. I hope Green watches these trials with an open mind and makes the final selections on their own merit rather than on reputations.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
Jensen is 25 years old. He's already played 35 games including a grand final. After last season I don't believe anyone's selection should be a given. I hope Green watches these trials with an open mind and makes the final selections on their own merit rather than on reputations.
Green always sticks with reputation. He doesn’t take risks, or what would be perceived to be a risk, 99 times out of 100.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think this year could be a bit of a clean slate for everyone as the incumbents didn't do a great job last year. I think if someone puts their hand up in the trials and has had a good off season they might get the nod ahead of an incumbent.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
I think this year could be a bit of a clean slate for everyone as the incumbents didn't do a great job last year. I think if someone puts their hand up in the trials and has had a good off season they might get the nod ahead of an incumbent.
I hope you are right. I’d like to see GGM in the team. Watching someone with elite pace on the wing was a breath of fresh air in the final games of last season. Hope it’s not going to be all bash and barge field position footy this season. A bit of variety would be nice. What Gideon doesn’t give you in carries out of your own end he gives you potential 50-60 m tries if he gets some space. Something we sorely lacked last season.

We were the worst team at scoring long range tries last season IIRC.

The kick over the top becomes another option if Gideon is in the team.

I can only pray he scores 3 or 4 tomorrow night and makes a strong case for himself.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't see a world where our starting wing pair is not Feldt and Macdonald
Only way I can see it (other than injury) is if one is at centre or fullback, but with Kahu on board that seems even less likely.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
I don't see a world where our starting wing pair is not Feldt and Macdonald
Yes of course. We all know what Green is going to do. He’s going to play high percentage, low errors, conservative, field position footy that he always plays. Macdonald will replace Winterstein’s carries on the wing.

All for this style of play if we win a lot games but it’s such a depressing style it it doesn’t work. Think us last year or the Bulldogs under Des Hasler.

It did work 2015-2017 though so we can only hope it works again.

I guess I am just imagining a theoretical world where our backs are more than just battering rams and where they can score a try from more than just inside the attacking 20m.

Last edited:

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I th
Yes of course. We all know what Green is going to do. He’s going to play high percentage, low errors, conservative, field position footy that he always plays. Macdonald will replace Winterstein’s carries on the wing.

All for this style of play if we win a lot games but it’s such a depressing style it it doesn’t work. Think us last year or the Bulldogs under Des Hasler.

I guess I am just imagining a theoretical world where our backs are more than just battering rams and where they can score a try from more than just inside the attacking 20m.
I thought I read a report a few months ago that the team was going to play a different style of footy in the future. Chance their arm a bit. I thought Green was interviewed on this point. I can't remember though.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

IMO those two players are a level above GGM as wingers at this stage no matter what style of footy we play.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

I'm not sure whether to be excited or depressed by this

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Jax

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
GGM, in my opinion, did himself no favours with his poor attitude in first grade last season.

His not finished, but must be on thin ice

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
GGM, in my opinion, did himself no favours with his poor attitude in first grade last season.

His not finished, but must be on thin ice
Yeah.....Millennials, just need to be taken out the back & given a flogging sometimes

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe Ben Barba can hook him up with a job at the metal factory if it doesn't work out 1249