Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Your 2019 QLD side

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Granville would likely rise to the occasion in Origin. He has big game experience which is why he’d be in contention.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The problem with Jake is that he would put so much more pressure on whoever is halfback. Someone like Cameron Smith can control a game from hooker but Jake's strengths have always lied elsewhere (being quick around the ruck). Even today it's obvious he's a manufacturered hooker and not a natural. Would either need Morgan to really step up and control the team at halfback or DCE to be at his organising best for Granville to be a success. God help us all if they put Hunt at 7.

Could definitely see Jake having a wholehearted game though and someone like Fatty raving on about how courageous he is. No-one can ever fault Jake for not trying.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The problem with Jake is that he would put so much more pressure on whoever is halfback. Someone like Cameron Smith can control a game from hooker but Jake's strengths have always lied elsewhere (being quick around the ruck). Even today it's obvious he's a manufacturered hooker and not a natural. Would either need Morgan to really step up and control the team at halfback or DCE to be at his organising best for Granville to be a success. God help us all if they put Hunt at 7.

Could definitely see Jake having a wholehearted game though and someone like Fatty raving on about how courageous he is. No-one can ever fault Jake for not trying.
You're dreaming!

Chemicalspill

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
There was some buzz in the media about bringing Milford off the bench. God I hope not, he looked out of his depth the last time he played. Surely it is a NSW ploy.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
My updated side under the impression DCE is fit for game 1. If he isn’t we’re really f****d. Think Morgan would have to come into the halves so that Hunt can stay at 9. Moga might be named for Newcastle this week, so if he fires he could be a welcome option at centre. We need to at all costs avoid naming Gagai at centre. Opacic running over the top of him on the weekend just about summed up his credentials in that position.

01. Ponga
02. Gagai
03. Morgan
04. Chambers
05. Oates
06. Munster
07. DCE
08. Arrow
09. Hunt
10. Papalii
11. Gillett
12. Kafusi
13. McGuire

14. Mahoney
15. Napa
16. Lowe
17. Welch

Lowe has impressed me at Souths. Has been very reliable coming off the bench. Would much prefer a power forward for maximum impact coming off the bench, but in his current patchy form I can’t pick Hess over Lowe. Would love to blood David Fifita, but he’s hardly getting a look in at Brisbane so don’t think he can be seriously considered until he gets more minutes there.

Unsure if Hunt can play the full 80, so have Mahoney named. Have really liked the look of him and has a high defensive workload. Kid is made for origin. Would name a more versatile utility at 14 if we had one but at the moment apart from maybe Brimson nobody really springs to mind. As mentioned above, if Moga is named this week for Newcastle and looks the goods, than he could possibly come into the centres for Morgo who for the betterment of the team, would shift to 14 for a better balanced side.

Despite all the talk saying NSW are a lock to retain the shield, I think we’re a big sniff provided first we get it right with the selection panel. I think the above side are more than capable of causing a bit of an ambush at Suncorp for game 1. The best thing that could happen to this side is for the media to write us off and talk up NSW.

Reactions: CC

Metro

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Lowe would get smashed in Origin. I think he’d be quite ineffectual.

Moga is 1000/1 to play Origin.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Lowe would get smashed in Origin. I think he’d be quite ineffectual.

Moga is 1000/1 to play Origin.
Not sure why you have a vendetta against Lowe, or why you think he’d get smashed in origin considering he’s been on the big stage and more than held his own. Currently playing real good footy for one of the top sides in the comp. Hard to look past that given the lack of options we have.

Moga was apart of the emerging squad a year ago so is obviously rated by selectors. Given our lack of depth at centre I think he’s a chance if he gets selected this week for newy and puts in some eye catching performances before the game 1 squad is named.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ofahengaue will get selected before someone like Lowe. As he should, he's having a better year. I still think they'll pick Fifita over Lowe as well.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Ofahengaue will get selected before someone like Lowe. As he should, he's having a better year. I still think they'll pick Fifita over Lowe as well.
Ofa started the year poorly but has been good coming off the bench for Brisbane. Fifita would 100% be in my side if he was getting minutes at Brisbane, but seibold is a muppet and hasn’t been bringing him on until the second half.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
f*** it, pick Chicko for Qld

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Qld's only hope is if nsw pick Pearce as Clearys replacement

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
They really have 3 options imo

Walker and Reynolds,
Keary and Reynolds
Or
Walker and Keary

Freddy is big on combinations and the first two are the current and premiership winning Rabbitohs halves combos.

Cronk has been great for Keary since he has been at the Roosters. He'd handle halfback at Origin and Walker is the form five eighth of the competition.

They can't possibly go with the incumbents with how they've been playing.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
They really have 3 options imo

Walker and Reynolds,
Keary and Reynolds
Or
Walker and Keary

Freddy is big on combinations and the first two are the current and premiership winning Rabbitohs halves combos.

Cronk has been great for Keary since he has been at the Roosters. He'd handle halfback at Origin and Walker is the form five eighth of the competition.

They can't possibly go with the incumbents with how they've been playing.
Has to be Keary/Walker surely. I get the sneaky suspicion that Freddy stays loyal to Cleary and picks Keary at 6 with him which is great for QLD.

Here’s my final qld side heading into the weekend. A shame about Welch’s injury, reckon he was in strong contention for a spot on the bench. Reckon Ofahengaue is a lock to make his debut now. Has been really good for the donkeys coming off the bench.

01. Ponga
02. Gagai
03. Morgan
04. Chambers
05. Oates
06. Munster
07. DCE
08. Napa
09. McGuire
10. Papalii
11. Gillett
12. Kafusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Wallace
16. Lowe
17. Ofahengaue

This is probably the most reliable side we can field IMO without handing debuts to guys who have Steven Bradbury’d their way into contention (Granville I’m looking at you). McGuire might not wear 9 on his back, but I think he will start there. Hunt to come on for Napa after the opening 20 when the intensity dies down a little, with McGuire reverting back to lock, Arrow shifting to the front row and Hunt to hooker. After Thumpers performance on the weekend, I think it’s more likely than not that he is picked due to his experience, though it’s not what I’d do if were selector.

If we can find someone to play centre, and Hunt is able to play 80 in the middle, than that’ll do wonders for the balance of the side with Morgo reverting back to 14. If DCE is ruled out than god help us. Will completely change the make up of our side.

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Has to be Keary/Walker surely. I get the sneaky suspicion that Freddy stays loyal to Cleary and picks Keary at 6 with him which is great for QLD.

Here’s my final qld side heading into the weekend. A shame about Welch’s injury, reckon he was in strong contention for a spot on the bench. Reckon Ofahengaue is a lock to make his debut now. Has been really good for the donkeys coming off the bench.

01. Ponga
02. Gagai
03. Morgan
04. Chambers
05. Oates
06. Munster
07. DCE
08. Napa
09. McGuire
10. Papalii
11. Gillett
12. Kafusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Wallace
16. Lowe
17. Ofahengaue

This is probably the most reliable side we can field IMO without handing debuts to guys who have Steven Bradbury’d their way into contention (Granville I’m looking at you). McGuire might not wear 9 on his back, but I think he will start there. Hunt to come on for Napa after the opening 20 when the intensity dies down a little, with McGuire reverting back to lock, Arrow shifting to the front row and Hunt to hooker. After Thumpers performance on the weekend, I think it’s more likely than not that he is picked due to his experience, though it’s not what I’d do if were selector.

If we can find someone to play centre, and Hunt is able to play 80 in the middle, than that’ll do wonders for the balance of the side with Morgo reverting back to 14. If DCE is ruled out than god help us. Will completely change the make up of our side.
Would swap Lowe with David Fifita otherwise should be pretty close to what they pick imo.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Great news for us in terms of injuries to key NSW players. With Keary, Pearce and Reynolds they might be spooked and not play the Cleary/Walker combo. Might opt with Maloney to partner Cleary which’ll be great for our chances.

I’ll be shocked if Lowe isn’t named tomorrow night. Has been fantastic for Souths, especially filling in at centre. Regardless if he is/isn’t, it’s tough watching him produce quality footy in another jersey. Add it to the list of ripper list management decisions we’ve made the last few years.

Hope to see Gillett named captain. His toughness and ability to never let his state down epitomises what the jersey stands for. Not sure if DCE is the right call given it was only a couple of years ago he was exiled from the side for being a shit bloke, or Munster who in the same period broke curfew on an emerging origin camp. Both I feel can grow into the role with future good performances but for now I think Gillett is perfect for the role. Been endorsed by JT too which tells you how much respect he has amongst the players.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
James Hooper alert but here's who he thinks is in the squad:

Maroons coach Kevin Walters is expected to name a 21-man Queensland squad including an injured Daly Cherry-Evans and Origin rookies David Fifita, Moses Mbye and Joe Ofahengaue on Monday.

The Maroons announcement at QRL headquarters in Brisbane will include two star players under an injury cloud.

Halfback Daly Cherry-Evans has been out of NRL action for the past month after undergoing ankle surgery, while Mbye missed round 11 with a groin strain sustained at training last week.

The Maroons will assemble a lethal backline with Cherry-Evans to be named at halfback, Cameron Munster at five-eighth, Michael Morgan in the centres and Kalyn Ponga at fullback.

Broncos young gun forwards David Fifita and Joe Ofahengaue are both tipped to make the squad.

MAROONS LIKELY LINE-UP
Kalyn Ponga
Corey Oates
Michael Morgan
Will Chambers
Dane Gagai
Cameron Munster
Daly Cherry-Evans
Jai Arrow
Ben Hunt
Josh Papalii
Felise Kaufusi
Matt Gillett
Josh McGuire

Interchange:
Moses Mbye
Dylan Napa
David Fifita
Joe Ofahengaue
Jarrod Wallace
Jake Granville
Anthony Milford
Tim Glasby

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/daly-cherryevans-four-origin-rookies-to-be-named-in-21man-maroons-squad-for-game-i/news-story/f55a2ff2cd66b93c6abed9baaa5b5b39

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Thank f*** Mbye is injured. He has no right to be anywhere near a QLD jersey. Only thing bad about that is Milford is one step closer to some how weasling his way into the team. Suprised Fifita is getting a look in. Has been getting 20 minutes off the bench and often doesn’t come on until late in the second half.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
That is such an average looking team. Would've liked to have seen Morgan get off to a better start to the year and get selected at halfback, but DCE seemingly has that locked in even with a bung ankle. He'll be captain as well so Morgan probably has to settle for the centre's or bench utility for the rest of his Origin career now.