Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Your 2019 QLD side

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Thought it would be nice to have something distract us that is the shit show of our season. A month into the season, what’s your origin 1 side look like if you had to pick it today?

01. Ponga
02. Gagai
03. Morgan
04. Chambers
05. Oates
06. Munster
07. DCE
08. Arrow
09. Friend
10. Papalii
11. Gillett
12. Kafusi
13. McGuire

14. Hunt
15. Wallace
16. Glasby
17. Lowe

Was genuinely difficult picking that side and not because blokes are in form putting their hands up. Not comfortable with that centre pairing, but it’s the best we’ve got. Could have Gagai at centre and Feldt on the wing if he comes back from injury in good form and Morgo back to the bench. Halves pick themselves and are the standouts. If friend is fit he has to be picked in the 9. Captained and led his side to a premiership last year. Defensive beast, and offers a little more in attack than what the incumbent in Macca does. With Gillett back, I can’t find a spot for Coops. Lowe has been impressive for Souths and I think has his nose in front. Really makes a mockery of our decision to release him. Not too many forwards putting their hands up for selection that weren’t apart of last year’s series.

Last edited:

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
They are not going to pick Ethan Lowe for Origin.

Lowe obviously needed a change to bring the best out of himself. He’d been poor for ages at the Cowboys.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
They are not going to pick Ethan Lowe for Origin.

Lowe obviously needed a change to bring the best out of himself. He’d been poor for ages at the Cowboys.
He’s been in the QLD emerging origin side in the past. Obviously rated amongst QLD officials. Have been watching Lowe closely this season and he’s looked great.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I thought Lowe was really good in the Titans game two weeks ago. Apart from that he hasn't looked too different to how he played last year. His defence is awful. Probably worse than last season.

I feel like they'd pick someone like David Fifita over Lowe.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I can see NSW making up for our decade of dominance over the next few years. A lot of these young Blues players will have grown up watching QLD win time after time again and will be out for blood.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Kevie Walters has said Granville has firmed into the selection frame off the back of McCullough injuring his knee at training today.

God help us all.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If McCullough is gone (and even if he's not) I think we should play Hunt at 9. I still pray Smith makes a comeback but I think it's highly unlikely

QLD might as well forfeit if we're seriously going to play Granville.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
If McCullough is gone (and even if he's not) I think we should play Hunt at 9. I still pray Smith makes a comeback but I think it's highly unlikely

QLD might as well forfeit if we're seriously going to play Granville.
Yeah I reckon Granville is only in the conversation if DCE isn’t fit for game 1, and Hunt has to play halfback.

Absolutely spewing about Friend. He had well and truly earned his jersey and would have complimented our spine really well.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah I reckon Granville is only in the conversation if DCE isn’t fit for game 1, and Hunt has to play halfback.

Absolutely spewing about Friend. He had well and truly earned his jersey and would have complimented our spine really well.
If DCE isn't fit I would have Morgan/Munster as the halves

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
If DCE isn't fit I would have Morgan/Munster as the halves
But then we’ve got to find another outside back. If DCE isn’t fit our side is going to be all kinds of f****d up which ever way we go. I sniff a backs to the wall 95-esque series win!

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm actually all for Granny to SOO. I didn't expect us to win in any case, and you never know, he might be one of those guys that responds well to the maroon shirt. More of the same ol same ol hasn't helped him much for the Cows, might as well try something different

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
My team assuming McCullough and DCE are out. I think either start if fit.

1. Ponga
2. Feldt
3. Chambers
4. Gagai
5. Oates
6. Munster
7. Morgan
8. Papalii
9. Hunt
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Mahoney (obligatory bolter)
15. Welch
16. Wallace
17. Cooper

Couple others in the mix in the forwards but yeah, we're in trouble.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'd pick Mahoney. We're probably f****d either way, so give the kid some experience. He hasn't been in an emerging squad yet so I doubt he'll even be considered but I think he'd handle it. Especially if he shared the duties with someone like Hunt. McCullough was bad last year and his form is even worse now. If he's fit I'd still rather Mahoney than him.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Yeah I’d prefer Mahoney at 9 if it meant Gagai out of the centres and Morgan in there. I have been impressed with him at parra. Defensive beast and seems to be developing a handy kicking game.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I didn't think McCullough was going to play anyway. I got the vibe Hunt would be at 9 but I guess with DCE possibly out that'll probably change. There's talk of DCE not playing a game until Origin. They seem to want to avoid Morgan at halfback at all costs.. I guess that's probably not a bad thing for him as whoever is there will be the face of the series loss like Hunt was last year.

We are absolute shot ducks this series. NSW are better than us everywhere. A lot of these guys were growing up watching the blues lose and will be out for blood. You can just tell Latrell is starting to wind up for Origin.

Back in the old days you could rattle the opposition by starting an all in brawl. These days the better footy team will usually win. It's more like just another game of NRL than ever before.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Walters said the race to the No.9 jersey is likely down to two men.

“Jake Granville is certainly an option for us,” Walters said.

“Ben Hunt played some football there last year for us.

“Those two are the prime candidates at the moment to come in and fill that role.”

Yikes

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Granville is so far below Origin standard. As I said previously QLD might as well forfeit. Walters has lost his f***ing marbles if he is seriously considering this, even with all the injuries.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Not much mention of Mahoney. Can only hope it’s to take the pressure and media spotlight away from him. We’re seriously f****d if he picks Granville.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I honestly see no downside for QLD or Cows if Granville is picked. QLD are on a hiding to nothing anyway, and we get to change up something which for the large majority of the time, hasn't been working. Theres only potential upside should something click in Jake as a result of selection.