Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Who will be captain of the Cowboys in 2019?

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score

Recently we had Thurston and Scott as co-captains. With Thurston's retirement this will obviously not be possible next year. What are the likely captaincy options in 2019?

Option one -Scott
Option two - Scott and a back.
Option three - A new captain.

What about beyond 2019?

Donelec

Junior
Donor
Reaction score

Recently we had Thurston and Scott as co-captains. With Thurston's retirement this will obviously not be possible next year. What are the likely captaincy options in 2019?

Option one -Scott

What about beyond 2019?
I feel the Kangaroos were missing the cool head they needed against the Kiwis. With Smith Cronk Billy and of course JT missing there is no heir apparent to fill that gap. A lot of talent in that team but as Cronk proved in the gf, organisation is everything.

Scott is a great co-captain and leads by example but we need someone at the back to organise. The only player that has proved he can do this imo is Morgs as he did in 2017. It would be unfair to Scotts confidence to demote him, so for me its Scott and Morgan co-captains

Charlie124

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Cooper & Scott named as co-captians for 2019 and until such time as they retire.

Moving forward, assuming 2019 is Scott's last season and potentially (but hopefully not) Cooper's too, i would name Morgan and Taumalolo co-captains from 2020 onwards.

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/scott-endorses-morgan-as-captain-cowboy/news-story/6acf39890512640449bac8d1fa9a6040

Interesting article from earlier in the year. Scott willing to stand down and let Morgs run the show solo. I don't know how much Thumper has in the tank and just letting him play footy and focus on staying fit and healthy for one last year could have it's benefits. There will probably be games here and there that he misses and someone will have to step into the role anyway.

It's just a C next to a name in reality and Morgan has the most to gain from it, the keys to the club are now his. The senior playing group always display leadership around the club regardless of who's got the captaincy.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/scott-endorses-morgan-as-captain-cowboy/news-story/6acf39890512640449bac8d1fa9a6040

Interesting article from earlier in the year. Scott willing to stand down and let Morgs run the show solo. I don't know how much Thumper has in the tank and just letting him play footy and focus on staying fit and healthy for one last year could have it's benefits. There will probably be games here and there that he misses and someone will have to step into the role anyway.

It's just a C next to a name in reality and Morgan has the most to gain from it, the keys to the club are now his. The senior playing group always display leadership around the club regardless of who's got the captaincy.
Thanks for sharing gunsup. I haven't read the article as it is behind a paywall.

That said, I thought that Scott may choose to stand aside to hand over to someone younger. Just a hunch. If he remains injury free I am hoping that he can remain some of his old form.

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Option one -Scott

What about beyond 2019?
I would like to see Jase be captain I like what I saw when he captained Tonga he lifted and all the players followed.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I just always assumed it’d got from JT/Scott to Morgan/JT

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Kyle Feldt
Captain for Feldty would be a demotion. He transcends labels.

I'd be betting Morg/Lolo as well. Prob leaves Capt Coops with an unfortunate end of a stick, but I think he would still be Mr Reliable, whereas I think it would be a huge boost to Morgs and Lolo to be recongnised as the superstars they are. Morgo in particular, he goes to another level when ever given a new challenge/responsibility (2014 - FB, 2015 - 5/8, 2017 - JTless side). Not sure where we go to in 2020 to keep him up tho??? Capt/coach?

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Scott was quoted as saying something along the lines of Taumalolo not needing the captaincy, the less he has on his plate the better. Just running hard and concentrating on footy rather than the media burden (press conferences etc) and the weight of the team on his shoulders might be a factor worth considering. It really is a personality assessment situation and the club are the only ones who would truly know those details, so I'm not leaning one way or the other.

The way Jase has led Tonga has been inspirational but there is a difference between getting up for a one off test every now and then with an entire nation behind you and the grind of the NRL week in and week out. Jase strikes me as the kind of guy who thrives when things are simple and he can get his confidence up after executing his job, maybe the captaincy could have an added effect on all of that. I don't know the guy so I could be completely off the mark, wouldn't be the first time haha.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I've just had another great idea. A tri-captaincy. Benny B, Kyle and Taumalolo. What could possibly go wrong?

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Could always do a Tigers and name a few dozen players as captain. Maybe we could have a wingers capt, centres capt, capt of the 2nd row, front row capt, halves capt, captain's capt, hookers capt, running fullbacks capt, and a "3rd half" type fullback capt, bench capt, assign a Thur games capt, fri, sat etc, and then a vice capt for each appointment above.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Captain for Feldty would be a demotion. He transcends labels.

I'd be betting Morg/Lolo as well. Prob leaves Capt Coops with an unfortunate end of a stick, but I think he would still be Mr Reliable, whereas I think it would be a huge boost to Morgs and Lolo to be recongnised as the superstars they are. Morgo in particular, he goes to another level when ever given a new challenge/responsibility (2014 - FB, 2015 - 5/8, 2017 - JTless side). Not sure where we go to in 2020 to keep him up tho??? Capt/coach?
Chief of Medicine at TGH.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Could always do a Tigers and name a few dozen players as captain. Maybe we could have a wingers capt, centres capt, capt of the 2nd row, front row capt, halves capt, captain's capt, hookers capt, running fullbacks capt, and a "3rd half" type fullback capt, bench capt, assign a Thur games capt, fri, sat etc, and then a vice capt for each appointment above.
All rudder. No ship. I like it.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately that guy got shot by snipers. For a pirate, I thought he seemed like a nice chap.
Yeah he was OK, couldve been more "parrotty" though. I always thought the little birdies gave a good overall balance to a pirate... really offsets the rapey-rapey-stabby-stabby vibe they throw off

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to see a ‘centre-threequarter’ captain.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Triple M Townsville radio reporting this morning that Matt Scott is happy for a new captain to be appointed. Probably one captain only.