Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match Trial Match vs Melbourne in Mackay

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
the rightful 9th immortal needs to just play footy and stop trying to jaw off at the refs when he feels he’s been wronged.......Every team is acutely aware that they need only to ruffle his feathers just a smidge and he’ll explode like a fat kid in a candy store. Javid on the other hand, looked a lot more composed and got himself in the game nicely when needed. If he keeps that up, Nene or the 9th may find themself playing on Jack Manski oval every 2nd weekend. Would like to know what has happened with Nene.....

I’ll still be banging on the Fat JT for 13 drum come lead into rd1 though. I know a few of us on here have been singing his praises for 3-4 years, last night showed quite bluntly that until Kahu gets a bit more familiar and or comfortable with his new team, we’re gonna need something else in the attack department to not be vanilla and easily picked off. He can play the forwards role serviceably but it’s his ball playing that gives us that x-factor. We looked so more polished when he came on the field, probably the most under rated played on our team.

If it were me picking the forwards for rd1

13. Asiata
12. Cooper
11. Lolo
10. Mclean
8. Moose

to be quite frank, jersey numbers aside, just have these 5 big boys out there doing their ‘thing’

Scott, Hess, Bolts on the bench. bolts obviously gets replaced by either Deeragun (Jensen) or Molo until his suspension is served.

you’d have to just balance out the interchanges.

Thumper comes on for Mclean at the 20-22 min mark

Lolo and Hess swapping for one another (unless Drago starts showing more when he enters the game and needs to start, that is an argument for another day)

Asiata comes off, drop Moose back to 13, Bolts comes on.

And then the reverse to get them back on the field.

If Dunny Bill shows as much promise as he has shown the last 2 weeks, you can throw him onto the bench for Thirsty Mercs hooker cover and or in the backs if needed. Relying on Coops moving back there is thwart with danger imo at his age.

Last edited:

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Unlucky for Baptiste but if Dunn can cover hooker that well consistently, his versatility is a huge advantage.

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Feldt knew exactly what he was doing. Knew the focus needed to be on defence, so threw the ball away and gave the chat penalty away to get more defence in the legs of the boys, and they killed it.

He's busy playing 3019 trials

Grassfed

Junior
Reaction score
Although a scrappy game I thought the pack contest from both sides was terrific. We came out on top mostly due to the moose additive.
Best thing for me was Melb couldn't suck our defence into the middle third and kill us on the quick spread. If we have gone a fair way to fixing that ,ie not a one off, then our prospects for 2019 have improved. We will miss Jt 's mongrel and Organisation but not as much as storm miss Billy's input

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Although a scrappy game I thought the pack contest from both sides was terrific. We came out on top mostly due to the moose additive.
Best thing for me was Melb couldn't suck our defence into the middle third and kill us on the quick spread. If we have gone a fair way to fixing that ,ie not a one off, then our prospects for 2019 have improved. We will miss Jt 's mongrel and Organisation but not as much as storm miss Billy's input
I think Scott looks much more mobile in defence this year than last too, was impressed with him in both trials.

Last edited:

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Being a trial game, the result means very little, but Molo, Opacic & Dunny put some added pressure on Greenie's selection headache, Pity its the last trial game would have liked to see Macdonald and Baptiste have a run.

donuts

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
How were we between 40-60 mins, our weakness over the last few years...

Green must have a plan to avert this this year??

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
How were we between 40-60 mins, our weakness over the last few years...

Green must have a plan to avert this this year??
That was our best period, Dunn was at hooker and we were playing up beat with a lot of offloads and forwards passing the ball.

Replay is up here:

Last edited:

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
That was our best period of the game IMO
Dunn and Asiata coming on just changed the game for mine. We looked pretty flat until then and I was honestly wondering where our points were going to come from. The couple of occasions where we did quick hands to the left was just pretty to watch.

Not to harp on, our most successful periods as a club where were when Coote and before him Mango, were very much ball playing alongside the halves. I don’t think we’re gonna get this with Kahu, we’ll at least not for a while. Having both Asiata and Dunn in the team (hopefully asiata starting but i’m not holding my breath) gives another dimension to our attack with a more running style of fullback in the mix. Dunny-Bill just looks like a first grader for mine, will be interesting to see him develop.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I reckon Opacic might have taken Hampton's centre spot (if it isn't already going to Tuala). He put himself in the game with some good energy, looks like a whole hearted player.

O'Neill looks in decent form and has probably locked in the other spot to start the year.

Last edited:

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Dunn and Asiata coming on just changed the game for mine. We looked pretty flat until then and I was honestly wondering where our points were going to come from. The couple of occasions where we did quick hands to the left was just pretty to watch.

Not to harp on, our most successful periods as a club where were when Coote and before him Mango, were very much ball playing alongside the halves. I don’t think we’re gonna get this with Kahu, we’ll at least not for a while. Having both Asiata and Dunn in the team (hopefully asiata starting but i’m not holding my breath) gives another dimension to our attack with a more running style of fullback in the mix. Dunny-Bill just looks like a first grader for mine, will be interesting to see him develop.
Kahu just isn't that kind of player, I'd prefer they didn't try to force him into that kind of role. I do like Asiata from the bench though, not starting. Freshens up the attack at an important time of the game and gives us a point of difference against a tiring defensive line.

This trial has made me really curious about how our bench is going to shape up in round 1, it does look like Baptiste may not be in the immediate picture. Maybe something like

14. Dunn
15. Asiata
16. Scott
17. Jensen

With Dunn and Asiata's versatility we could forego a back on the bench and run 4 forwards which frees us up a lot in terms of forward rotation. This is extra important if they're gonna put Lolo wider for periods of the game.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is Scott available to play in round 1????

TowtruckTronc

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like nene was dropped for being late to training. Source: DT

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Green tight-lipped over Martin v Clifford tussle to partner Morgan
Author Jason Wolfgram NRL.com reporter

North Queensland coach Paul Green was keeping his cards close to his chest when asked who would partner Michael Morgan in the halves for round one after their 14-6 win against the Storm in Mackay on Saturday night.

The main talking point for the Cowboys after wrapping up their pre-season campaign with a 14-6 triumph over the Storm was who would play alongside Morgan in the wake of Johnathan Thurston's retirement.

They kick off their Telstra Premiership campaign against St George Illawarra in Townsville on March 16.

Te Maire Martin and Jake Clifford are locked in a two-horse race for the five-eighth's role but Green said he would consider his options over the next week before announcing who would get the gig.

“Jake Clifford and Ta Maire shared a game, they're pretty neck and neck. I thought they both had some good touches,” Green said.
Green was impressed with former Broncos star Jordan Kahu's first game for the club at fullback after his recent switch while Mitch Dunn caught the coach's eye.

“[Kahu] has played the majority of his footy recently in the centres but he has played fullback so I thought he had some nice touches," Green said.

“[Dunn] has played an unfamiliar roll there at hooker so he’s an option for us off the bench. He can play in a number of positions for us."

Cowboys five-eighth Te Maire Martin.
Cowboys five-eighth Te Maire Martin.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos

Green experimented in the trial against the Storm with the option of playing Tongan international lock Jason Taumalolo in the second row but was again coy on whether he would keep his star forward on the edge for round one.

“To get the first half out is a pretty good effort. He was pretty good,” Green said.
With less than two weeks left until round one of the competition, Green said he got what he wanted out of the Mackay trial.

"I was mainly focusing on our defensive effort tonight. Whilst we're happy with tonight's performance we understand we have still got a bit of work to do,” Green said.

"It was probably a typical trial but in saying that I was reasonably pleased with how we played. The tougher parts of the game, in particular defending our try line, I thought we were pretty good.

"We put ourselves under pressure with some simple errors but we defended it off the back it which was good to see."

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I reckon Opacic might have taken Hampton's centre spot (if it isn't already going to Tuala). He put himself in the game with some good energy, looks like a whole hearted player.
Yeah, I agree. Had a bit of a rewatch of the trial and I like the look of Opacic. I’d have him over Hampton in the centres for Round 1 too going off his trial form. He looked good in both games.

O’Neill is probably locked in for a spot but I’d love to see Opacic and Tuala.

Reactions: CC