Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match Trial Match vs Melbourne in Mackay

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I'd forgotten just how slow tackles in storm games are. It's making the game boring as hell.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Good finish from Hampton

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Great kick Morgo.

donuts

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
What’s the score and how long left?

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Much better 2nd half, good to see us get through injury free and hopefully knock a bit of the rust off. Ball handling killed both teams but I suppose you expect that to some extent this time of year.

Morgo looked ominous at times especially with the boot. Dunn's work from hooker was a pleasant surprise, he could be our X factor this year

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
So, is there one more trial before season starts?

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Only trial games, but for the slop we dished up last season, it's good to get a win over the Storm

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Well that was as scrappy game as you’ll ever see. TMM surely can’t start round 1 at 6. Javid looked good and may come into calculation. Was happy with our goal line defence. Kahu being out of position for the one try we did concede was annoying, hopefully he can learn from that and put it behind him. Think if Cliffo gets a start he should assume the goal kicking duties too. Overall happy to get the win and match it with a quality side.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Well that was as scrappy game as you’ll ever see. TMM surely can’t start round 1 at 6. Javid looked good and may come into calculation. Was happy with our goal line defence. Kahu being out of position for the one try we did concede was annoying, hopefully he can learn from that and put it behind him. Think if Cliffo gets a start he should assume the goal kicking duties too. Overall happy to get the win and match it with a quality side.
I didn't think he did anything wrong in his stint, looked a bit more natural than Clifford as Morgo's sidekick IMO and did a great job in defence, he got a lot of 1 on 1 traffic. Everyone was dropping the ball in that first half too so we couldn't really build much attacking momentum to see what the halves could do. Jake had a couple of errors and a couple of shaky moments in defense, he'll get better the more he plays though.

For mine TMM has looked more comfortable at 6 as the support player in both trials. Clifford did his best work as the dominant 7 last week. He took a few weeks to figure out how to pick his moments playing beside JT, I expect he'll have the same growing pains with Morgo.

I think either way Green goes, both players will offer good support to Morgo. They play different styles and have unique strengths.

If we needed a dominant halfback, i'd go with Clifford every day of the week but Morgo is going to be doing the bulk of what Clifford usually does so he has to figure out how he can support him best.

I reckon if Green goes with TMM to start the year, Kahu could be the one under pressure to perform, with TMM slotting in at 1 and Jake at 6 if both of those guys are putting their hand up. Kahu was mostly solid tonight but was out of position a couple of times and didn't show much attacking spark, though with limited chances. TMM was really good with his positioning last year and had some of his best attacking performances back there.

Last edited:

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I didn't think he did anything wrong in his stint, looked a bit more natural than Clifford as Morgo's sidekick IMO and did a great job in defence. Jake had a few errors and a few shaky moments in defense. He'll get better the more he plays though.
I thought Cliffo look more comfortable tbh but it might have been more so the team was more comfortable overall in the 2nd half and he had Dunny bill out there giving clean and crisp service for a fair part of it too.....

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I didn't think he did anything wrong in his stint, looked a bit more natural than Clifford as Morgo's sidekick IMO and did a great job in defence, he got a lot of 1 on 1 traffic. Jake had a couple of errors and a couple of shaky moments in defense, he'll get better the more he plays though.

For mine TMM has looked more comfortable at 6 as the support player in both trials. Clifford did his best work as the dominant 7 last week. He took a few weeks to figure out how to pick his moments playing beside JT, I expect he'll have the same growing pains with Morgo.

I think either way Green goes, both players will offer good support to Morgo. They are different styles of players and have unique strengths.

If we needed a dominant halfback, i'd go with Clifford every day of the week but Morgo is going to be doing the bulk of what Clifford usually does so he has to figure out how he can support him best.

I reckon if Green goes with TMM to star the year, Kahu could be the one under pressure to perform, with TMM slotting in at 1 and Jake at 6 if both of those guys are putting their hand up. Kahu was mostly solid tonight but was out of position a couple of times and didn't show much attacking spark, though with limited chances. TMM was really good with his positioning last year and had some of his best attacking performances back there.
I thought we looked a lot better and smoother in attack with cliff partnering Morgo. It sounds like you want TMM in our side cause he’s great at doing nothing and being a passenger while Morgo runs the show. We can’t just rely on Morgan, and need a playmaker out there that can step up when Morgan is quiet (which he tends to be throughout some games), especially given we have a brand new fullback who’s been at the club for a couple of weeks that’ll take some time before he’s comfortable in slotting into our attack.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The attack was much better in the second half. That's down to a number of different factors but I still think Clifford played well. Both he and Te Maire were fine, neither really stood out or did much wrong. I still think you got to go with Clifford. To me, he's more dangerous with ball in hand and a better passer. I think his kicking game will be much needed as well, especially with Kahu at fullback.

He's done his time in Cup and shown he's above it. Let him play first grade and develop.

In saying all that, I think Green will go with Te Maire for Round 1.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I saw it as a wash between the two tonight, Clifford should get the nod based on the first trial IMO.

I can't shake the impression that TMM has his nose in front but I didn't see much inspiring from him over the last 2 weeks.

Spiral

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Liked the work McGuire did in defence on the line tonight. Defence around the ruck's been a bit of a weak point recently but hopefully he goes a long way to fixing that up for us. Good hitout for him.

Was great to see Morgo looking confident. He looks ready to make this year his bitch.

Bring on Rd 1!

Bass Player

Junior
Reaction score
Very impressed with Kahu's first few touches. He has a nose for the ball. A priceless quality.

The Kyle Feldt of old, having a mare and getting gobby. The two are not unrelated, they always come as a pair. This is why Kyle cannot be captain. Kyle Feldt should shut up and play like Kyle Feldt.

Great sweeping try in the 2nd half. Nice hands McGuire.