Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Time for a strike centre?

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Have been thinking about this the past few seasons.
I can't recall having too much strike in our 3/4 line ever. Don't get me wrong we've had some strong defensive centres, like Bowman, Tate, Linnett. Hannay held his own, Willie Tonga is the only bloke who was a weapon on his day. Yet compared to the likes of Dugan, GI (few years ago), Hopoate, Bird, Roberts, Jennings, even E Masters today, he may have been a touch below. Tate, as strong as he was, was in the back end of his career and cut down by injury.
The way the game has gone wingers may seem even more important with finishing and bringing the ball back. But legitimately break the line or create half chances is something our bland backline has lacked for quite a while. Am I wrong? Just sick of seeing bog average, slow, small backs

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Enari Tuala could develop into one given time.

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Willie Tonga was the only center we've ever had that could create from nothing. Tate if given a gap could always finish it off but wasn't the same kind of player. We've never really gone for anything but defensive centers. Probably due to Mango doing it all from the back for so long we never needed it. We always relied on the halves and fb to do it all. It's costing us big now that only Morgan is on that level.

Barba truly f****d us. Obviously Green was relying on his Mango like abilities to fix our problems. Now we're stuck with plodders / solid players in the backline that can't create shit.

Losing Lolo really exposed how much effort he was doing to cover the rest of the packs lack of form. Without his dominance we lack the creativity to crack open nrl defences. Sad year ahead :(

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He's got 6 days, will that be enough time.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
We play Melbourne in 12 days. Let that sink in.

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Enari is probably the only center we have with that bit of an x-factor about him. I still think Nene, Tuala, Opacic and Feldt would be reasonable enough as a backline. That gives us one solid workhorse and 3 players who can excite a little and score tries. Fullback is the biggest issue imo. Not convinced about TMM there. Kahu is probably a little more reliable as a fullback but probably not quite as good in attack.

Bongohead667

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Fullback will remain a shit show until the Valentine Holmes issue is resolved one way or another. We have no chance of attracting a good fb up here while everyone thinks Val is a lock for next year. Probably why we only got Kahu cause everyone else told us to f*** off lol.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I've been happy with Javid so far this season. I think he's pretty much been our best back. I don't really see what Opacic would offer over him even in the centres. I think we should look at switching either Bowen, Feldt or Nene to the centres (with the other 2 to line up on the wings) and give Tuala a shot in the 4.

Last edited:

Billythefish

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I've been happy with Javid so far this season. I think he's pretty much been our best back. I don't really see what Opacic would offer over him even in the centres. I think we should look at switching either Bowen, Feldt or Nene to the centres (which the other 2 to line up on the wings) and give Tuala a shot in the 4.
Bowen has been good on the wing, and i'd agree he has been our best back so far. Not convinced about him in the centres. I think Opacic has been harshly singled out tbh. Not saying i think he has been great either because i dont think he has, but he is new to us, and i think he did some decent stuff against the donkeys when he started to inject himself a little more and take on a bit more responsibility. Its not like he was the only poor performer. I'd have said our forwards should have been at more risk of being dropped than any of the backs. Some of the defence lately from them has been embarrassing.

I'd just have liked to see Green give some of these blokes a run of games before they get written off. Statistically, i dont think last weeks centres would have done any worse ( if at all ) than Hampton and Kahu. Its not going to do us any good chopping and changing the side. This is certainly going to be a transition year for us so we might as well give some players like Clifford and Tuala some game time and stick with them.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Has Feldt played FB? Big body, strong returns, can catch, only issue I see is its more work & requires some brains & we know he's subject to the odd brain fart.

Not a big fan of kahu, he maybe a safe option, but he's never gonna win us a game

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Feldt would do a decent job at FB imo, but it won’t happen so it’s a moot point.

Javid has been fine on the wing, looked decent yesterday.

When Feldt is fit, bring him in straight away to the wing and move Nene into the centres.

Done.

We’ll still suck at FB though.

Last edited:

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
A decent centre is hard to come by this day and age.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
A decent centre is hard to come by this day and age.
Pigs arse

Broncos have 2, Titans have Peachey, Dragon have Lafai, Raiders have Joey L, Knights Ramien,
Eels Jennings, Roosters Mitchell, Manly Suli, Warriors Kata, Sharks Dugan, Penriff W Blake
Storm Chambers, Tigers Marsters, Dogs Hoppa, Souths GI/ Gagai,

We have Oniel. Everyone of these opposition players shits on our guys

Eaglestreetcowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Bowen was pretty ordinary in the centres last year, wouldn't be rushing to put him back there

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Pigs arse

Broncos have 2, Titans have Peachey, Dragon have Lafai, Raiders have Joey L, Knights Ramien,
Eels Jennings, Roosters Mitchell, Manly Suli, Warriors Kata, Sharks Dugan, Penriff W Blake
Storm Chambers, Tigers Marsters, Dogs Hoppa, Souths GI/ Gagai,

We have Oniel. Everyone of these opposition players shits on our guys
Of those guys you've mentioned only Mitchell, Inglis and Chambers are considered elite centres in the competition. Peachey is a reserve grader atm. Dugan... do I even need to say more? Suli is a downgrade on O'Neil... Gagai plays three good games a year and is currently on the wing... Hoppa *insert face palm here*... Marsters is promising I will give you that but still has a lot to prove... Kata would never leave NZ and again is inconsistent... Blake is promising but inconsistent and has been rubbish so far this year. Ramien has been rubbish this year. Joey L is one of the better ones but hot and cold - still dont know how he won Centre of the Year last year - also I don't rate James Roberts and Jack Bird is coming back from a lacklustre 2018

Of all mentioned. You forgot the best centre in the world. Euan Aitken.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Of those guys you've mentioned only Mitchell, Inglis and Chambers are considered elite centres in the competition. Peachey is a reserve grader atm. Dugan... do I even need to say more? Suli is a downgrade on O'Neil... Gagai plays three good games a year and is currently on the wing... Hoppa *insert face palm here*... Marsters is promising I will give you that but still has a lot to prove... Kata would never leave NZ and again is inconsistent... Blake is promising but inconsistent and has been rubbish so far this year. Ramien has been rubbish this year. Joey L is one of the better ones but hot and cold - still dont know how he won Centre of the Year last year - also I don't rate James Roberts and Jack Bird is coming back from a lacklustre 2018

Of all mentioned. You forgot the best centre in the world. Euan Aitken.
Do you even watch Rugby league son?
Peachy is a gun, just in a shit team 0-3
When fit, Dugan is one of the best in the world
Suli is a 20 year old monster, he would eat and shit out anyone of our guys including your boyfriend Oniel
Gagai and Hoppa are several notches above our plonkers
Joey and Blake are game breakers
Broncos boys are streaks ahead.

Keep making excuses, everyone of the guys I listed are way ahead of what we currently have in a roster for centre options. And that's every one of the 15 other clubs. Our team for some reason don't think it's necessary to have a strike centre, a game breaker. Do we have any "ýoung guns" waiting to burst in other than Enari Tuala I watched last year?

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Do you even watch Rugby league son?
Peachy is a gun, just in a shit team 0-3
When fit, Dugan is one of the best in the world
Suli is a 20 year old monster, he would eat and shit out anyone of our guys including your boyfriend Oniel
Gagai and Hoppa are several notches above our plonkers
Joey and Blake are game breakers
Broncos boys are streaks ahead.

Keep making excuses, everyone of the guys I listed are way ahead of what we currently have in a roster for centre options. And that's every one of the 15 other clubs. Our team for some reason don't think it's necessary to have a strike centre, a game breaker. Do we have any "ýoung guns" waiting to burst in other than Enari Tuala I watched last year?
I'm not making excuses for anyone. Our centres are shit. Never mentioned once that I rated O'Neill, just that there aren't many strike centres in the comp. Good riddance to O'Neill being dropped.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm not making excuses for anyone. Our centres are shit. Never mentioned once that I rated O'Neill, just that there aren't many strike centres in the comp. Good riddance to O'Neill being dropped.
They don't have to be tier 1 internationals, anyway agree to disagree

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Said last year that O'Neill should re-invent himself and bulk up over the off season. He's about 5kg lighter than Chambers (who is the same height) according to Google, and just gets dominated in the tackle too much. Funnily enough, that's exactly the reason Green said that he dropped him.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Said last year that O'Neill should re-invent himself and bulk up over the off season. He's about 5kg lighter than Chambers (who is the same height) according to Google, and just gets dominated in the tackle too much. Funnily enough, that's exactly the reason Green said that he dropped him.
So the J in PJ Green stands for Jordan Ahhhhh now I understand