Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

The elephant in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanfromsingapore

F
It’s time to discuss that issue that some people on this forum find distasteful.

After watching Matty Bowen fumble his way through the semi-final (and other games), I believe the time is overdue for his replacement. Why? I do not believe we can win three or four finals in any one year with Matty at fullback. The good sides consistently force him into errors.

There will be the cries of, “But he’s been one of our best all year!!” This is partially true. He has been one of our best against teams that finished below us. Unfortunately when you make the final six, there are no more poor teams to play.

At the bottom of this post is a previously posted summary of his performances against the teams that finished higher than us. In the last couple of weeks, some forum members have pointed out some of his weaknesses. Specifically:

• Difficulty under the high ball when pressured.
• An inability to penetrate the better defences. (someone described him as not being a big game player).
• A high error rate in general.

It is no surprise to me that he is not in the Australian train-on squad. Sheens would be acutely aware of his weaknesses. Furthermore, with Inglis, Slater, Stewart, Barba and Boyd available, it’s not like there’s a shortage of good fullbacks.

How would Ulugia go? It’s an unknown - but the coaching staff have said they have been extremely happy with him at the QLD cup level. Playing him for eighty minutes in all three trials may give a reasonable indication of his potential in the NRL.

At the 09 AUG 12, Matty Bowen was the 4th highest error maker in the NRL (source in link below). Making errors in the halves is one thing, but making errors at fullback is another. Reason – they often lead to tries for the opposition.

In my opinion, a team can not win three (or four) finals with a high error rate at fullback.

http://www.nrl.com/stats-insider-the-killer-stats/tabid/11037/newsid/69168/default.aspx

The assessments below are all my opinion from the 2012 season.

Look at:

Cowboys v Melbourne game 1 (totally outplayed)
Cowboys v Souths (totally outplayed)
Cowboys v Canterbury (totally outplayed)
Cowboys v Melbourne game 2 (played against Widdop as Slater was injured)
Cowboys v Manly game 1 (outplayed)
Cowboys v Manly game 2 (outplayed)

Last edited:

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Should be a good thread to sit back and watch with the popcorn

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
whoaa, not going to reply to this..

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Matty Bowen; 2nd in the Dally M. P!ss hom off but.

Barba made a few errors during the year. See ya.

Did Bowen not sign a hat for you once or something?

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Mate I'm sorry but you are going on my ignore list. I can't deal with your bull**** anymore. You join enviable company in Pumpkin and Thurston4pm.

He was voted the 2nd best player in the NRL this year. He was arguably our best all year. You are either nuclear high when you watch our games or you just hate M Bowen. I have a feeling it's the 2nd as you have been death riding him for as long as you've posted here. Wayne Ulugia is NOT at an NRL level. It's debatable if he is even at Q Cup level, he makes a load of mistakes and was being played on the wing.

Also you talk so much **** about how badly he played in certain games. Please explain how he was outplayed vs Manly the first game, or in any of those games really. Because we lost the game? He was fine in nearly all of those games, he is not the problem with our team. I guarantee if he is dropped our attack goes to utter ****. Stop talking ****ing nonsense.

End rant.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Same, welcome to my ignore button.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't contribute that often here, but, all I have to say is,

**** off mate.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
And, you say making errors in the halves is not as bad as at fullback (obviously so no one can call you out on JT having nearly as many mistakes), and yet the article has no indication on how many of his mistakes came when he was playing his fullback role or how many mistakes came when he was playing a half role.

So again, **** off.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Losing games =/= outplayed

Santo > Ulugia btw

rexy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I notice how quiet you go for months when he's playing well , soon as he makes a couple of mistakes you death ride him to hell , do you ever stop to think we wouldn't.t have made it that far without him ! The beginning of the year you said we'd never go any good till we got a fullback like Hoffman how did that work out for you Hoffman can't even get a gig at fullback for the bronco's you think they wouldn't love to stick Matty in their team to add some spark to their pedestrian attack this year, mate I'd hate to have you as a critic wouldn't matter how many things I did right I'd be ****e as soon as I made one error , your like a fricken broken record , and no one agrees with you , not the fans not the coaches . not the media not the other players , but you keep harping on and on and on.... end rant!

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Put together one the best seasons in his career, and this oxygen thief still lays it on thick.

I like to think he is trolling, but its too stupid for that.

Billy Slater is the king of "clangers", would any team in the NRL say not to him at fullback?

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If you don't like Matt Bowen support another club

Thommo Junior

Former Champion
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
F me.....I reckon you would make a great video ref ......100 plus views and still no fn idea !

marshmellow man

Sent Off
Reaction score
I would be interested to see some statistics on Ben Barba. I remember he had a high error rate last year but he doesn’t seem to be making anywhere near as many this year. Perhaps a comparison between Benny Barba and Matty Bowen. Jhack……can you help?

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I bet Magic was leading try saver of comp.
I bet he was top or near top at diffusing kicks.
Top or near of all the other important stuff.

If Magic didnt dominate the lower class teams as said- we dont make the finals to begin with, true? End of argument. I dunno perhaps get Magic to get us to the finals next year and let Ulugia take over??

Compare JT n Bowen- not much between them, but Bowen is on peanuts compared to JT- its a no brainer to keep him finacially on what he contributes to the team.

The bloke cant produce miracles every match- just like every other legend couldnt. Had we not received those bad calls, hes the only man that wood have got us out of that situation.

Dread the future without him.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to see some statistics on Ben Barba. I remember he had a high error rate last year but he doesn’t seem to be making anywhere near as many this year. Perhaps a comparison between Benny Barba and Matty Bowen. Jhack……can you help?
Bowen: 102 avg metres, 28 try-assists, 13 tries, 19 linebreaks, 19 linebreak assists, 120 tacklebreaks, 30 try-saves, 4.5 avg tackles, 165 supports, 283 avg kick metres.

Barba: 120 avg metres, 22 try-assists, 21 tries, 25 linebreaks, 14 linebreak assists, 160 tacklebreaks, 30 try-saves, 2 avg tackles, 130 supports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Siamsam

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Matty is a legend he is the heart and soul of the Cowboys without him we would not be the same club, even the commentators that hate the Cowboys praise Matty for his skills and sheer freakishness on the field. Matty has had one of his best seasons ever this year and just missed out on representing Qld in the SOE so how you can even suggest replacing him is beyond a joke. If Matty was on the open market there would be very few clubs that would not be tripping over themselves trying to sign him up. I for one hope he goes around for another couple of years the game simply would not be the same without him, players like Matty come around once in an age. I wont tell you where to Go as you are probably already there after everyone else gave you directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.