Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

The Ashes

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I love my cricket and this year the summer cannot come quick enough, you know what I mean.

The following is an article that has me worried. It is the latest article in which Australian players have been quoted, in my opinion, as being a tad over confident.

This time it is Shane Watson trying his hand at the verbal disintegration on the new England pace bowling beanpole, Steve Finn.

Ponting is under pressure to perform after a recent lean patch and Marcus North is under extreme pressure and I question his continued role in the side. One or two failures in Australia and he must surely make way for someone else. I would like to see Steve Smith given the number 7 position and push a fit? Brad Haddin up to 6. Even if Haddin isn't fit, Tim Paine has displayed enough to quality to suggest he could handle 6. This would give Australia the option of playing 3 pacemen and two spinners.

Australia's attack will be bolstered by the steadying influence of Hilfenhaus and his excellent line and length bowling with a hint of outswing is key to Australia's bowling attack. His ability to make early inroads should give strike bowler Mitchell Johnson more confidence to focus on what he does best, bowl fast and blast batsmen out.

My Australian lineup (Wolfbrother style)

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin/Paine
Smith
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Australia

Shane Watson singles out England paceman Steve Finn as No.1 target

By Ben Dorries
August 24, 2010
Shane Watson has launched the first ferocious verbal bouncer of the Ashes by singling out rising England paceman Steve Finn as Australia's No.1 target.
Finn, 21, is the latest young fast bowler to carry England's hopes and the Poms already believe the 203cm beanpole seamer can be their surprise replica of former Australian bowling great Glenn McGrath.
However Watson - the confident Allan Border Medal winner - believes England is deluded, as the raw Finn has never played Down Under or even against Australia.
Finn has burst on to the international stage, taking 28 wickets at 24 in his seven Tests, but was shielded from Australian eyes when he was rested during the recent one-day series in England.
Finn is also yet to fire a shot on foreign soil, taking only four wickets at 44.25 in two Tests in Bangladesh earlier this year.
Watson didn't hold back when asked if England's big Ashes bowling hope was likely to crumble in the heat of battle on Australian shores.
"A really important thing for us to win the Ashes is to single out some individuals to put a lot of pressure on them. Finn is someone, we can really try and make the most of his inexperience and also his inexperience of being out in Australia," Watson said.
"I think he is someone that we, as a batting unit, and me especially, can really try and put a lot of pressure on.
"If he bowls anywhere near a loose ball, I want to put it away. If he gets it slightly wrong, and he is very inexperienced, then he is going to really feel the pressure.
"We want to test his durability as a bowler."
Watson lunged further on to the front foot by claiming England's decision to, so far, hide Finn away from Australia could backfire horribly.
He also questioned Finn's preparation for the Ashes, insisting the youngster probably wouldn't have a clue how to bowl in Australia.
Skipper Ricky Ponting also joined Watson in a stirring Ashes rocket by questioning the credentials of another England newcomer - 23-year-old Irish batsman Eoin Morgan.
Ponting believes England will plump for the brash batsman - ahead of the failed Ian Bell - but says Morgan won't know what has hit him during the Ashes.
Australian wicketkeeper Brad Haddin is in doubt for October's Test and one-day tour of India after failing to recover from a tennis elbow problem.
Tasmanian Tim Paine won plenty of admirers in his Test debut against Pakistan in England.
England appear to have settled on three Ashes quicks (James Anderson, Finn and Stuart Broad) and Watson continued to thumb his nose at the Poms' pace attack by claiming Anderson was highly vulnerable in Australia.
Australia believe Anderson is a threat when conditions are favourable and the ball is swinging - but history shows he is no good in Australia, where he averages 82.6.

Coast Cowboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Yeah am pumped up for the Ashes this year myself. Have got tickets for day 1 at the Gabba and can't wait to get stuck in to that overrated pretty boy Stuart Broad if he comes my way (or any Pom for that matter).

This will be a tighter series than 06/07 (can't get any more onesided than 5-0), but I still get the feeling Aus will win 2-1 or 3-1/3-0. Aus are hard to beat at the Gabba, Adelaide and Perth will be England's best chance for victory or a draw, MCG is another Aus fortress and Sydney is no longer a spinners pitch so Aus will enjoy themselves there.

This would be my Aus lineup for the 1st test at the Gabba:

Simon Katich
Shane Watson (don't like him as opener, but will have to do for now)
Ricky Ponting(c)
Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey (needs runs or Usman Khawaja comes in for him)
Brad Haddin
Steven Smith (North to be dropped, Smith the spin option)
Mitchell Johnson (must show some form in India though, or Hauritz replaces him)
Ben Hilfenhaus
Ryan Harris (impressed me with his seam movement, is a must at Gabba imo)
Doug Bollinger

Hauritz comes back in for Adelaide at the expense of Harris or Johnson (depends who bowls worse).

Now compare that to the expected England team:

Andrew Strauss (out of form, cr*p in Aus)
Alistair Cook (same as above)
Jonathan Trott (not good against short pitched stuff)
Kevin Pietersen (also out of form)
Paul Collingwood (solid but unspectacular)
Eoin Morgan (nicks off to the slips too much for Aus conditions)
Matt Prior (solid but unspectacular)
Graeme Swann (decent spinner, but won't win them the series on his own, was outbowled by Hauritz in last Ashes)
Stuart Broad (overrated and chucks a tantrum when things don't go his way)
James Anderson (sh*t when it doesn't swing, and it won't swing nearly as much in Aus)
Steve Finn (untried in Aus conditions, looks accurate but doesn't do much off the seam or in the air)

I think our team has a lot more balance and is more suited to the Gabba's pace and bounce.

Can't wait for the Summer (as the Winter has given us a whole lot of nothing). Plus with the World Cup on after that it should be a great 6 months of cricket. C'MON AUSSIE!!!

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah should be a good summer but unfortunately i think the Aussies are going to cop a hiding.

gotta love rednecks

First Grader
Reaction score
i love my cricket and me and a mate have tickets to the first 3 days at the gabba and cant f****** wait.

the poms are in for a belting and im not worried about ours or there recent form in england because there are many different factors playing in australia.

first is the heat,get those priks out of england into the blazing hot australian sun and watch them melt like the snowmen they are.

second is many of there side havnt played over before.finn,morgan,swann,broad,trott.and the ones who have played out here before have failed dramaticly.strauss,cook,bell and jimmy anderson who in england averages around 20 with the ball but outside of home cant get under 40 with the ball.

another factor is the lack of swing(except the gabba)and we use the kookaburra ball which dont swing like the dukes ball they use in the old dart.

now my team goes like this

hughes
katich
ponting
clarke
hussey
watson
haddin/paine if hads not fit
hauritz
johnson
bollinger
hilfenhaus

notice there is no marcus north because he is a sh!t c*** and a imposter and should be hit for 6 right now before we start in india on the 1st of october.

hughes is my first choice to take his spot by pushing watson down the order where he belongs.

if not steve smith can take norths spot with just a straight swap that way we have a leggie and a offie in the team and smith scores runs when runs are needed,just like he did against pakistan in england in the second test after north had failed....................again.

another option still is cameron white to come in for north.white can bowl a little bit if need be but his batting is what he would be there for.

great thread i love the f****** cricket:thumbsup:

RHINO

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
got a yearly cricket day for work so ill be there on day 2 at the gabba and also got a 4 day pass to the sydney test :)

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
All this corruption hoo-ha has quelled my interest in cricket at the moment and left me a little disenchanted. I'm sure day 1 a the Gabba will fix that.

paddy

Captain
Reaction score
Ashes, best cricket contest. I wanna see us regain the urn.

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Australia

England set to fly a 16-man B-team to Australia to aid their Ashes defence

By Ben Dorries
September 25, 2010
England unveiled part of its plan to retain the Ashes in Australia this summer, by planning to fly an unprecedented 32 players, including a 16-man B-team down under.
The second-string troop, to be based in Brisbane and Perth, includes shadow players for every member of the top squad, ready to step in in the event of poor form or injury.
It is a stunning move by innovative England coach Andy Flower, the former Zimbabwe batsman.
Flower remembers England's disastrous Ashes tour of 2002-03, when bowlers Andrew Flintoff, Simon Jones and Darren Gough all broke down.
The "England Performance Program" squad effectively means every Test player will have a clone who can replace him at short notice.
The squad includes Craig Kieswetter, Ajmal Shahzad and James Tredwell, all of whom have represented the top side in the past year.
To ensure the players are fit and firing, the B-team will play four-day matches against Queensland and Western Australia.
England performance director David Parsons said the squad "allows our coaches to work intensively with the players and assess their readiness to graduate to the full England side when the opportunity arises".

The Poms are certainly bringing the fear this year

paddy

Captain
Reaction score
The Poms have a really good team, but on Aussie conditions and harder wickets it might favour our bowlers and batsmen too.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The following is an article that has me worried. It is the latest article in which Australian players have been quoted, in my opinion, as being a tad over confident.
When its the Ashes and played at home, the Aussies have to show alot of confidence, especially after losing the last 2 over in England. Plus there's also the quoted sledging and banter, that builds that healthy rivalry.
Aussies win 3-0

paddy

Captain
Reaction score
North shouldve already been dropped, his forms been abysmal.

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
****ed if I know but I can see a period of domination in the Ashes coming up by England. The Aussies don't have a lot of quality bowlers coming through and the ones they do have are injury prone and mentally weak ie: Mitchell Johnson, Hauritz ....not that I rate Hauritz as a spinners arsehole anyway. Hopefully I am wrong but I think they deserve their number 4 world test ranking right now.

Coast Cowboy

First Grader
Reaction score
****ed if I know but I can see a period of domination in the Ashes coming up by England. The Aussies don't have a lot of quality bowlers coming through and the ones they do have are injury prone and mentally weak ie: Mitchell Johnson, Hauritz ....not that I rate Hauritz as a spinners arsehole anyway. Hopefully I am wrong but I think they deserve their number 4 world test ranking right now.
Give me Johnson, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus, Watson and Hauritz over Anderson, Broad, Finn and Swann anyday of the week (especially in Aus conditions). And our batting is more than a match for their batting atm.

If Johnson bowls more ****e like he has the last 12 months then we have quality ready made replacements in Siddle and Harris waiting in the wings to take his place as well.

England rely way too much on Graeme Swann and while he is a good bowler, I don't think he is good enough to win the Ashes all by himself. We handled him pretty easily in England last Ashes (he averaged forty and his figures were pretty flattering considering that he bowled on the biggest dust bowl pitch in Ashes history at The Oval, where I could of taken 5 wkts).

They also have no Flintoff who has been their inspirational talisman with the ball in the last three Ashes. And that is a big hole in your team (especially in Aus) not having a quality allrounder to call on.

England's recent form has all been in England conditions. When they come out here to Aus with the 30 degree heat, pro Aussie crowds and most importantly no swing they will be found out.

paddy

Captain
Reaction score
Id have Swann over Hauritz lol England dealt with Hauritz pretty well too last year, our pacemen failed to deliver in good bowling conditions.
I think we can bounce back but it will be a tough contest.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
See how they go against India in October. If they play well over there, builds alot of confidence to whack your pommy mates at home. I can't see England winning the opening game at the GABBA.

Last edited by a moderator:

paddy

Captain
Reaction score
See how they go against India in October. If they play well over there, builds alot of confidence to whack your pommy mates at home. I can't see England winning the opening game at the GABBA.
I remember Nassar making probably the worst call when he won the toss up there, he bowled first at the Gabba.
lol would go on to get carted around the ground.