Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

The 2019 backline.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
My thoughts on likely but not necessarily what I'd like to see
1. Barba/Hamptom/TMM
2. Feldt
3. ET/O'Neil/Opa/Morgs
4. As per 3, maybe hampton as back up
5. GGM/O'Neil
6. TMM/Clifford
7. Morgs
8. Scott
9. Jake
10. McLean
11. Coops
12. Hess
13. Lolo
14. Asiata
15. Jensen
16. ????/Lowe
17. ????/Molo

You'd like to think greeny will get ruthless with out of form players, but we know he's likely to pick & stick

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
When was the last time you played on the wing? I'm guessing it was decades ago.

Simply staying on your man is not a sound defensive strategy for a winger these days. If outside backs stay on their man when there is an overlap, the opposition will have an extra player or two to stroll over the try line untouched.

Every single NRL winger in the competition rushes in to shut down overlaps, it's one of the most basic defensive skills you need these days. The nuance is in making the decision to come in at the right time. Feldt has a very good strike rate in this regard. We only hear from you on here when he gets it wrong, which isn't much these days.
I'm guessing that you have you never played before.

Main principle

The ball can always travel much faster than the player.

More detail

A winger who stays glued to whoever is on the outside is the best technique. (Bear in mind that an attacking winger may cut inside). The main idea is that if the defence is outnumbered the cover defenders may be able to reach the inside attacker. However, as the ball will always travel quicker than the man the cover defence often has no chance to get to the outside attacker. In such a situation it is better to leave the centre unmarked (instead of the winger) as the cover defence has a shorter distance to run to get to the centre.

If all players are marked by a defender there is absolutely no reason to run in at all.

I would be happy with a winger running in to cut down an inside attacker if the backline is horribly outnumbered. E.g. one defending winger against three attackers. This however is the exception to the rule and it should only happen if the defence is disorganised. e.g. After a big break.

The 2015 grand final.

You have written on here previously that Oates did not make a mistake in running in to tackle Morgan in the 80th minute of the Grand final - or words to that effect. You are dead wrong. The broncos had the game won. If Oates stays on his winger the Cowboys lose. Even knocking the ball down would have been OK as time was up.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you have you never played before.

Main principle

The ball can always travel much faster than the player.

More detail

A winger who stays glued to whoever is on the outside is the best technique. (Bear in mind that an attacking winger may cut inside). The main idea is that if the defence is outnumbered the cover defenders may be able to reach the inside attacker. However, as the ball will always travel quicker than the man the cover defence often has no chance to get to the outside attacker. In such a situation it is better to leave the centre unmarked (instead of the winger) as the cover defence has a shorter distance to run to get to the centre.

If all players are marked by a defender there is absolutely no reason to run in at all.

I would be happy with a winger running in to cut down an inside attacker if the backline is horribly outnumbered. E.g. one defending winger against three attackers. This however is the exception to the rule and it should only happen if the defence is disorganised. e.g. After a big break.

The 2015 grand final.

You have written on here previously that Oates did not make a mistake in running in to tackle Morgan in the 80th minute of the Grand final - or words to that effect. You are dead wrong. The broncos had the game won. If Oates stays on his winger the Cowboys lose. Even knocking the ball down would have been OK as time was up.
Oates didn't run in to tackle Morgan, he was covering O'Neill. The players inside who rushed JT to create the overlap are more responsible than Oates. Morgo beat Milford on the outside and all of a sudden it was 4 vs 2. Reed had to come in to cover Morgo and Lowe, leaving Oates isolated against O'Neill and Feldt.

upload_2018-9-12_12-31-6.png

If Oates stays on Feldt, then Jack Reed is outnumbered 3 to 1, we draw and pass and score. Boyd was there in cover but he was holding back to cover the kick and would have been handled easily, as he was in the actual play when O'Neill came back inside to hold him up.

The damage was done well before Oates at the end.

If you really think the Broncos win if Oates stays glued to Feldt and leaves Jack Reed against 3 players, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Jimmy De Busch

Junior
Reaction score
My father taught me possession , position and pace wins games.

(control the ball and be patient)
(play football at other end of the paddock in both defence and attack)
(control the tempo of the game)

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Oates didn't run in to tackle Morgan, he was covering O'Neill. The players inside who rushed JT to create the overlap are more responsible than Oates. Morgo beat Milford on the outside and all of a sudden it was 4 vs 2. Reed had to come in to cover Morgo and Lowe, leaving Oates isolated against O'Neill and Feldt.

View attachment 1231

If Oates stays on Feldt, then Jack Reed is outnumbered 3 to 1, we draw and pass and score. Boyd was there in cover but he was holding back to cover the kick and would have been handled easily, as he was in the actual play when O'Neill came back inside to hold him up.

The damage was done well before Oates at the end.

If you really think the Broncos win if Oates stays glued to Feldt and leaves Jack Reed against 3 players, I don't know what to tell you.
Talk about being in denial.

So who do you think Oates is about to tackle at the 79 minute and 58 second mark? Answer? No-one. He is about one metre in front of Morgan who is already going to ground. After cutting inside, O'Neill is well covered by cover defenders. Solution. Oates stays on his winger and prevents him scoring. Check the broncos forum if you want to see this explained further. There are three cowboys who could realistically score and 4 defenders (including Boyd).

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
If Oates stays on his wing, more than likely O’neill doesn’t cut back on the inside and stays wide and scores. Which would have been a bit closer to the posts and a slighlty easier conversion for JT.

At the end of the day, who gives a shit.

Kingy

Junior
Reaction score
Not just to you prince but lots of people on here, I cant believe Morgan not being at 7. When he was given the 7 jersey and control of the team in 2017, he was the best player in the competition and amazing game manager. So much so that there were cries to move JT (greatest half back of all time?) to five eighth. Clifford has a massive future but is still a kid, he shouldn’t be first receiver in front of morgs.

I highly rated Opacic at broncs and have him at centre, very happy with that signing I think it will turn out very well.

Surely GGM gets the other wing spot. He sometimes can make a silly decision or two, but showed too much potency in those last few games to leave out. I’ll take a couple of silly errors (which can be ironed out) for a potential 20 try a year player.

Any updates on the Nene rumours? Would be awesome.
I agree with the above, however I don't understand the hype around Nene. Yes, he's big but he's slow and so soft. Proves it week in week out for the dragons. Praying we don't sign him.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I agree with the above, however I don't understand the hype around Nene. Yes, he's big but he's slow and so soft. Proves it week in week out for the dragons. Praying we don't sign him.
I read this the other day:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/17/nene-macdonald-committed-to-st-george-illawarra-dragons-and-keen-to-extend-stay/

Which poured some cold water on the whole thing anyway. I don't believe he would be a terrible signing but agree he has had some periods of looking really lethargic in his play.

I think at this point we should commit to the Feldt-GGM wing combo next year with Bowen as depth. We are probably 1 quality option short but I feel you can justify a lack of depth on the wing more than any other position.

Last edited:

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Need a decent back up hooker because if Granville get injured were royally screwed

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Hopefully it won't come to this. But the way things are shaping up.......

1. Cowboy Benny Barba
2. Prince Ernst
3. Paulo W
4. O’Neill
5. Feldt
6. Clifford
7. Morgan

Kingy

Junior
Reaction score
I read this the other day:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/17/nene-macdonald-committed-to-st-george-illawarra-dragons-and-keen-to-extend-stay/

Which poured some cold water on the whole thing anyway. I don't believe he would be a terrible signing but agree he has had some periods of looking really lethargic in his play.

I think at this point we should commit to the Feldt-GGM wing combo next year with Bowen as depth. We are probably 1 quality option short but I feel you can justify a lack of depth on the wing more than any other position.
Disappointing to see us sign Nene, however I don't want to write him off just yet. Hopefully it'll be a nice surprise!

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Nene is awesome when he plays for PNG, get him motivated and he'll shine I think.

Bangkok Cowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Did you see the tube video of him scoring and out pacing Barba who is no slouch ?

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I like the Nene signing. You can either play him and feldt on one side or have them both our wingers. Big bodies good on their feet and got speed what more can u ask for.
Our backline has a few options next year and for once we will have a bit more speed out wide.