Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

The 2019 backline.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I've been thinking about our 2019 backline and trying to fill in the jigsaw. So for I have:

1. Cowboy BB
2. Feldt (I personally think we need someone who is good in both wing defence and attack. I would be expanding our search here. Internal/external)
3. O'Neill
4. ?
5. ?
6. Morgan
7. Clifford

A few more pieces to go in the puzzle. At times Hampton was outstanding at fullback. Bench player perhaps - replacement Hooker/replacement back. I am happy to see Javid go. He had a lot of opportunities. Holmes to replace Barba in 2020 if he comes off contract.

Last edited:

stevealbertqld

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Not just to you prince but lots of people on here, I cant believe Morgan not being at 7. When he was given the 7 jersey and control of the team in 2017, he was the best player in the competition and amazing game manager. So much so that there were cries to move JT (greatest half back of all time?) to five eighth. Clifford has a massive future but is still a kid, he shouldn’t be first receiver in front of morgs.

I highly rated Opacic at broncs and have him at centre, very happy with that signing I think it will turn out very well.

Surely GGM gets the other wing spot. He sometimes can make a silly decision or two, but showed too much potency in those last few games to leave out. I’ll take a couple of silly errors (which can be ironed out) for a potential 20 try a year player.

Any updates on the Nene rumours? Would be awesome.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I must admit I don't think too hard about which half plays at the 6 and 7 positions these days. Not sure how much it matters compared to twenty years ago? It wouldn't bother me if they swapped.

GGM - A big issue with wingers these days is height. A short winger can be easily out-jumped for a try by an opposite winger who can catch the ball on the run.

I don't know anything about Opacic. If he is a good defender and has good speed we can pick him.

Last edited:

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
1. Barba/TMM/Hampton/Anderson
2. Feldt
3. Tuala/O'Neill/Wilshire/Hampton
4. Opacic/O'Neill/Wilshire/Hampton
5. GGM/Tualagi/Anderson
6. Morgan
7. Clifford/TMM

In order of what I think would be first preference based on the squad we'll reportedly have so far. Macdonald gets a centre or wing spot if we get him.

Still a solid winger short in the squad I think.

I reckon we'll be served best with Morgo and Clifford making equal touches, both are at their best when they're dominant. The number doesn't matter much, they can rotate at first receiver. Maybe Morgo in the 7 to get rid of the media pressure of 'replacing JT' from Clifford's shoulders.

Last edited:

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about our 2019 backline and trying to fill in the jigsaw. So for I have:

1. Cowboy BB
2. Feldt (I personally think we need someone who is good in both wing defence and attack. I would be expanding our search here. Internal/external)
3. O'Neill
4. ?
5. ?
6. Morgan
7. Clifford

A few more pieces to go in the puzzle. At times Hampton was outstanding at fullback. Bench player perhaps - replacement Hooker/replacement back. I am happy to see Javid go. He had a lot of opportunities. Holmes to replace Barba in 2020 if he comes off contract.
1) BB or Val Holmes
2) Feldt
3) Enari Or TMM
4) Opacic
5) GGM or Nene Mcdonald
6) Morgan
7) Clifford

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

1. Cowboy BB
3. O'Neill
4. ?
5. ?
6. Morgan
7. Clifford

How can you toss up questions on Feldt's position as a winger, and in the very next line put O'Neill in with no comment as though his selection is as set in stone as "13. Taumalolo"??? Feldt was a top 3 performer for us over the entire season, and easily the best and most consistent of the outside backs. You need to build a bridge already and join the rest of us in Feldtown dude... the added bonus being that the extra bridge will do wonders for our traffic flow here

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
3) Enari Or TMM
I don't mind this idea. I wanted to see him at fullback to see how he'd go and he passed that test really well I thought. I think his front line defense is underrated. Sometimes he gets caught out and it looks ugly but he saves a shitload of tries 1 on 1 and most of it goes unheralded. I think there's a chance he could handle centre in defense. He's a bit bigger than Hampton too.

He'd do better with an off season at fullback/centre. He looked to lose a bit of acceleration this year but I think he has been carrying some type of leg injury so might be able to get that back, which would serve well if we want to try him in the backs again.

He's too good of a player to leave outside the 17 if we can find somewhere to fit him in. He has the Kosty attitude along with a good dose of talent.

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

1. Cowboy BB
3. O'Neill
4. ?
5. ?
6. Morgan
7. Clifford

I put it to you that you're probably not watching the games properly if you're still questioning Feldt's D after this season. He's the most improved Cowboy in my opinion, especially his defensive decision making and making tackles stick. A big silver lining in an otherwise disappointing year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I put it to you that you're probably not watching the games properly if you're still questioning Feldt's D after this season. He's the most improved Cowboy in my opinion, especially his defensive decision making and making tackles stick. A big silver lining in an otherwise disappointing year.

If he hasn't softened on Feldt after the 2015 GF where he pretty much kept us in the game with his strip of the ball and myriad other plays, I don't think he ever will. Feldt has been in beast mode almost the whole time since then and he's been one of our most crucial players.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Get Tariq sims in the 3, he scored more tries in yesterday's game than Juz has in 2 fkn years. He's cooked

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I genuinely think Feldt will be an origin-standard centre later in his career

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

I thought this for a long time, even into the 2nd row due to size. But then spectacular wing tries!!??!! Won't anyone think about the spectacular wing tries??!!??

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

If we had some better wing options i'd be supportive of him moving there next season.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score

I didn't see all the games benchy. But the ones I did see I saw the same old problems. One thing with footy fans in general (not yourself) is that fans often put attacking play a lot than higher than defensive play. I remember a game between the Broncos and cows at Lang Park a few years back. Matty Bowen scored two spectacular tries. The problem was he let in two tries through errors. When asked about Bowen's two tries Henry said something like "Yes, but he owed us a few" which I think was a fair comment.

The problem for us is that it is now appearing on both wings.

What bothers me is that the problems are so easy to correct. I've even seen on here people claiming that Corey Oates did not make a huge mistake when he let in Feldt's grand final try. People who believe this should hop on the Broncos forum and see what they say about Oate's decision making in that instance. Fan thinking vs people who have actually defended in these positions thinking.

I do not want Feldt at Centre or fullback. At least on the wing the defensive winger has the touch line to help him out.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see all the games benchy. But the ones I did see I saw the same old problems. One thing with footy fans in general (not yourself) is that fans often put attacking play a lot than higher than defensive play. I remember a game between the Broncos and cows at Lang Park a few years back. Matty Bowen scored two spectacular tries. The problem was he let in two tries through errors. When asked about Bowen's two tries Henry said something like "Yes, but he owed us a few" which I think was a fair comment.

The problem for us is that it is now appearing on both wings.

What bothers me is that the problems are so easy to correct. I've even seen on here people claiming that Corey Oates did not make a huge mistake when he let in Feldt's grand final try. People who believe this should hop on the Broncos forum and see what they say about Oate's decision making in that instance. Fan thinking vs people who have actually defended in these positions thinking.

I do not want Feldt at Centre or fullback. At least on the wing the defensive winger has the touch line to help him out.
When was the last time you played on the wing? I'm guessing it was decades ago.

Simply staying on your man is not a sound defensive strategy for a winger these days. If outside backs stay on their man when there is an overlap, the opposition will have an extra player or two to stroll over the try line untouched.

Every single NRL winger in the competition rushes in to shut down overlaps, it's one of the most basic defensive skills you need these days. The nuance is in making the decision to come in at the right time. Feldt has a very good strike rate in this regard. We only hear from you on here when he gets it wrong, which isn't much these days.

Last edited:

Benchy

Bench Warmer
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
When was the last time you played on the wing? I'm guessing it was decades ago.

Simply staying on your man is not a sound defensive strategy for a winger these days. If outside backs stay on their man when there is an overlap, the opposition will have an extra player or two to stroll over the try line untouched.

Every single NRL winger in the competition rushes in to shut down overlaps, it's one of the most basic defensive skills you need these days. The nuance is in making the decision to come in at the right time. Feldt has a very good strike rate in this regard. We only hear from you on here when he gets it wrong, which isn't much these days.
Yeah I was going to mention this. I reckon there are plenty of examples this year of Feldt coming screaming in off his line and blindsiding players with a good, aggressive hit that ended those sorts of plays immediately. He's cleary worked hard on his D. He'll still have the occasional slip up for sure, but I dunno...I just reckon he's not as much of a liability as you say anymore Prince.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Fedltys last season in qcup he played majority of it at center, even played for qld residents i believe

Charlie124

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Ill have a stab at this.

My "most likely" lineup - based on confirmed signings:
1. Ben Barba
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Ben Hampton
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. TMM

My "wish list" lineup - based on strong rumours for 2019
1. Ben Barba
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Nene McDonald/Enari Tuala
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby/Nene McDonald
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. Ben Hampton

My "little bit crazy but might just work" lineup
1. Ben Hampton
2. Kyle Feldt
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. Ben Barba

Jimmy De Busch

Junior
Reaction score
Ill have a stab at this.

1. Ben Barba
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Ben Hampton
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. TMM

1. Ben Barba
2. Kyle Feldt
4. Tom Opacic
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. Ben Hampton

1. Ben Hampton
2. Kyle Feldt
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. Ben Barba
From what I understand Nene McDonald will resign with Dragons.

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk

Jimmy De Busch

Junior
Reaction score
Ill have a stab at this.

1. Ben Barba
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Ben Hampton
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. TMM

1. Ben Barba
2. Kyle Feldt
4. Tom Opacic
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. Ben Hampton

1. Ben Hampton
2. Kyle Feldt
4. Tom Opacic
5. Gideon Gela Mosby
6. Jake Clifford
7. Michael Morgan
14. Ben Barba
Does anyone know if Val Holmes is certain to come home?

Sent from my LG-X240 using Tapatalk