Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Te Maire Martin announces retirement

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Martin announces immediate retirement
Cowboys.com.au
Sun 12 Jan 2020, 07:20 PM

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys playmaker Te Maire Martin has today announced his immediate retirement from rugby league.
Martin has been sidelined since suffering a bleed on the brain in April last year.

While the 24-year-old has made significant strides in his recovery, he has not improved to the point required to receive a clearance to return to full contact.

“The last nine months have been extremely difficult,” Martin said.

“I’d like to reassure everyone that I’m doing well and I have recovered to the point where my day to day life isn’t affected, but I can’t get past the contact stage of training, which means I can’t play footy anymore.

“I’d like to thank the Cowboys for their unwavering support – they could not have done any more for me, particularly the medical staff – as well as the club’s members and fans for their well wishes.”

Cowboys Director of Football Peter Parr spoke glowingly about Martin when farewelling the Kiwi international.

“We’d like to thank Te Maire for everything he’s done for the club. He’s been a wonderful contributor since he’s been here, he played in a grand final and off the field has had a significant impact on everyone at the club,” Parr said.

“It’s always sad when someone of his age has to retire, but there’s also positives in that he’s made significant improvements in his health. We’ve been given every indication he’ll be able to live a normal life and that is far more important than him playing football.

“We’re sad to see Te Maire go given he’s such a great bloke, but he’ll always be welcome at our club and we’ll never forget what he’s done for us in his time here.”

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/01/12/martin-announces-immediate-retirement/

BDR

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Poor bugger, that's really cruel. All the best for his future I'm sure he will have plenty of options.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
To have to retire so early is a shame for a guy who had loads of potential.

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for your service to the Cowboys and all the best for the future.
Maybe the NRL could offer to train him as a referee to keep him in the game.

Last edited:

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Shame to see him go. Honestly never thought it'd come to this.

Who knows, he might have been the perfect foil for Morgo. Their combination was a big reason we made the grand final in 2017. Unfortunately we didn't get to see them combine a whole lot more after that after for a variety of reasons

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Peter Parr press conference:

* not un-expected for those at the club, but unfortunate
* collective decision of a number of people
* players have known for roughly a week
* "wonderful player" "talented" "toughness underestimated"
* TMM on his way to NZ to be with his mum and dad
* Need to make some good long-term plans
* TMM sees his future back in NZ with his family - not likely with the Cows
* NRL has a well-developed welfare program
* Cows will keep in contact with him to help him figure out what he wants to do
* TMM still uncertain
* Club's number one plan was for him to play again
* Happy to have him around - enthusiasm and positive energy
* Club was willing to have him around for as long as it took
* Last spot in the 30 man squad open and no hurry to fill it

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Very sad news. I believe he had a big future. All the best for your future Te Maire,. you ave so much to offer kids coming through the junior ranks if you wish to head in that direction.,

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Peter Parr press conference:
* NRL has a well-developed welfare program
The above quote is probably quite relevant.

Some superannuation schemes have entitlements like:

* Total and temporary disablement
* Total and permanent disablement

Wouldn't surprise me if the NRL has something similar. His capacity to gain future work in any capacity may be a relevant factor.