Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Match Sunshine Coast Trial vs Gold Coast Titans

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Venue:
Sunshine Coast Stadium, QLD

Date:
Sat 23 Feb 2019 5:00PM

Teams

Cowboys
  1. Carlin Anderson
  2. Gideon Gela-Mosby
  3. Enari Tuala
  4. Javid Bowen
  5. Murray Taulagi
  6. Te Maire Martin
  7. Jake Clifford
  8. Matt Scott
  9. Jake Granville
  10. Jordan McLean
  11. Ethan Lowe
  12. Mitch Dunn
  13. Jason Taumalolo
  14. Kurt Wiltshire
  15. Corey Jensen
  16. Shane Wright
  17. Scott Bolton
  18. Francis Molo
  19. Tom Gilbert
  20. Reuben Cotter
  21. Tom Opacic
  22. Peter Hola
  23. Dan Russell
Titans
  1. Jesse Arthars
  2. Anthony Don
  3. Brenko Lee
  4. Brian Kelly
  5. Phillip Sami
  6. Dylan Phythian
  7. Tyrone Roberts (c)
  8. Jack Stockwell
  9. Mitch Rein
  10. Moeaki Fotuaika
  11. Bryce Cartwright
  12. Will Matthews
  13. Max King
  14. Christian Hazard
  15. Morgan Boyle
  16. Jai Whitbread
  17. Leilani Latu
  18. John Palavi
  19. Darius Farmer
  20. Jaxson Paulo
  21. Kai O’Donnell
  22. Ben Thomas
  23. Ioana Seiuli
  24. Kea Pere
  25. Treymain Spry
  26. Jacob Hind

Last edited:
Reactions: BDR

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
I want to see Clifford in the starting team. Just looks to have a higher ceiling than Martin.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Get a run?

I figured that he would be one of the first backs picked? Thurston gone. He had a bit of apprenticeship in first grade last year.
The makeup of the team is still all up in the air, Martin seems ahead of Clifford for round 1 at this stage based on what we've heard so far.

I want both them of in the 17.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Really hope Clifford can stake his claim to start in the halves along side Morgan. TMM is a good back up option, but should not be starting in the halves when Clifford is fit. Think too many people get their heads wrapped around TMM being in the halves during our 2017 GF run. People need to remind themselves he was carried by Morgan, and while he played his role, didn’t contribute a great deal of significance. We can’t rely on Morgan to play like he did in the 2017 finals series which allowed us to play a pedestrian in TMM.

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
I think Clifford will start ahead of Martin. Green is just shielding him from the replacing Thurston media hype.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Really hope Clifford can stake his claim to start in the halves along side Morgan. TMM is a good back up option, but should not be starting in the halves when Clifford is fit. Think too many people get their heads wrapped around TMM being in the halves during our 2017 GF run. People need to remind themselves he was carried by Morgan, and while he played his role, didn’t contribute a great deal of significance. We can’t rely on Morgan to play like he did in the 2017 finals series which allowed us to play a pedestrian in TMM.
I think that underrates TMM's contribution considerably during that run. They kept it simple and had a good partnership where TMM played second fiddle and was always where Morgo needed him. A lesser player wouldn't have been in the right position at the right times and we would never have made the GF.

I really rate the way TMM played last year too, he was thrown into hooker and fullback did a good job (much more successful at fullback) in those positions with no experience. His attitude was exemplary all year and he was trying to rev everyone up all the time during the terrible period. He was one of few playing with enthusiasm and busting his arse when everyone else seemed to have given up. I think he's a smart player with a good attitude and could kick on given the chance. He's shown more than Morgan did at the same stage in their careers IMO. A lot of people completely wrote Morgo off too despite showing good signs in patches.

I rate Clifford extremely highly though, this isn't an argument against him, I think he could be the dominant half in the competition for 10 years. I just think TMM could end up being a valuable player too.

Last edited:

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
No team lists yet but sounds like the Titans will field a side of young/fringe type players

Every other trial has team lists out except ours...

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score

Weather is going to be absolutely atrocious on Saturday. Not sure we’ll get much out of this trial which is a bummer considering we’re already playing catch up due to the floods and Barba’s sacking.

Grassfed

Junior
Reaction score
Weather forecast down here is not looking good atm. I hope it improves or the trial may be in doubt . High winds , Heavy rain and waves up to 8 metres expected. It is the same system that wreaked havoc on T'ville.
I have tickets and have everything crossed that can be crossed that it goes ahead .

Reactions: BDR

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
awesome pre-season prep this year........:rolleyes:

Heart

Junior
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks trial games are overrated? The season is so long anyway. I’d rather no trials and just go into round 1.

Nothin worse than a season ending injury in a trial.

MPW_Fanboy

First Grader
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks trial games are overrated? The season is so long anyway. I’d rather no trials and just go into round 1.

Nothin worse than a season ending injury in a trial.
In years gone by when our 17 hardly changed maybe. But we have many new inclusions including a completely new spine that have never played together. These trials are crucial for us in order to gain trust in one another and form cohesion.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
In years gone by when our 17 hardly changed maybe. But we have many new inclusions including a completely new spine that have never played together. These trials are crucial for us in order to gain trust in one another and form cohesion.
We basically only play one trial with the full team anyway. The other always seems to be a group of fringe first graders.

We've started the season poorly basically every season Green has been here.. our playing style usually takes about a month for it to click. Hopefully we've done something to help address this.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Titans team has been named:

1. Jesse Arthars
  2. Anthony Don
  3. Brenko Lee
  4. Brian Kelly
  5. Phillip Sami
  6. Dylan Phythian
  7. Tyrone Roberts (c)
  8. Jack Stockwell
  9. Mitch Rein
  10. Moeaki Fotuaika
  11. Bryce Cartwright
  12. Will Matthews
  13. Max King
  14. Christian Hazard
  15. Morgan Boyle
  16. Jai Whitbread
  17. Leilani Latu
  18. John Palavi
  19. Darius Farmer
  20. Jaxson Paulo
  21. Kai O’Donnell
  22. Ben Thomas
  23. Ioana Seiuli
  24. Kea Pere
  25. Treymain Spry
  26. Jacob Hind

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I doubt this trial will even go ahead tbh. Be good to know the team though- might get a few clues to some positions.

rocketfrog

Junior
5 Year Member
Reaction score

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys head coach Paul Green has named a host of big-name stars for his side’s first trial match of the 2019 season against the Gold Coast Titans at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Representative forwards Matt Scott, Jordan McLean and Jason Taumalolo headline a monster forward pack, which also includes premiership-winning hooker Jake Granville and second-rowers Ethan Lowe and Mitch Dunn.
Young gun Jake Clifford will partner Kiwi Test star Te Maire Martin in the halves, with Morgan Michael rested.
Carlin Anderson has been named at fullback for what will virtually be a home game for the Gympie-bred flyer.
Nineteen-year old Junior Kangaroos rep Murray Taulagi and try-scoring phenom Gideon Gela-Mosby will start on the wings with Enari Tuala and Javid Bowen named in the centres.
The interchange includes five players with NRL experience including props Scott Bolton, Corey Jensen and Francis Molo along with second-rower Shane Wright and centre Tom Opacic.
Youngsters Kurt Wiltshire, Tom Gilbert, Reuben Cotter, Peter Hola and Dan Russell will also play their first senior games for the Cowboys.
Saturday’s game kicks off at 5pm.
Cowboys team to play Titans:
  1. Carlin Anderson
  2. Gideon Gela-Mosby
  3. Enari Tuala
  4. Javid Bowen
  5. Murray Taulagi
  6. Te Maire Martin
  7. Jake Clifford
  8. Matt Scott
  9. Jake Granville
  10. Jordan McLean