Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Stampede Round 1 Predicted Team Poll

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Why does the club have a duty to help out every player post career with employment?

TMM got paid pretty well for his 4 years in the NRL. He’ll have more than enough money to work out his next career move.

He’s better placed than 99% of other young men his age.

It’s not remotely viable or a good thing that every player finds himself employed by the club post-Cowboys career?

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Why does the club have a duty to help out every player post career with employment?

TMM got paid pretty well for his 4 years in the NRL. He’ll have more than enough money to work out his next career move.

It’s not remotely viable or a good thing that every player finds himself employed by the club post-Cowboys career?
For me it's about TMM as an individual, not just every player who retires. It seems like from interviews that everyone at the club loves him and he brings a positive attitude to everything he does and would be good to have around in any role he could perform. Parr's interview hits the point home that he is highly regarded as a person around the club.

In saying that though, they shouldn't just create jobs out of nowhere to fit people in and he's going back to NZ for now anyway.

Last edited:

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

They aren't obligated to for every player but there is a bit of a precedent that players who are forced into retirement by injuries sustained while playing the game are looked after by the league fraternity.

It's not so cut and dry here because we don't know if his injury was strictly related to footy but still.

There is a stupid 'jobs for the lads' mentality in league (and all pro sports really) but not sure that applies here.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
They aren't obligated to for every player but there is a bit of a precedent that players who are forced into retirement by injuries sustained while playing the game are looked after by the league fraternity.

It's not so cut and dry here because we don't know if his injury was strictly related to footy but still.

There is a stupid 'jobs for the lads' mentality in league (and all pro sports really) but not sure that applies here.
Especially so at the Cowboys.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Especially so at the Cowboys.
Maybe if you count the Q Cup teams too.

I don't think there are many ex-players in the front office at the moment, who have we got? Ash Graham does strength and conditioning, Michael Luck is the COO and Bear is a trainer. I think Glenn Hall does something but not too sure, I'm struggling to come up with any others. That seems about equivalent to what goes on at most clubs and it would be harsh to say any of those blokes don't deserve what they've got.

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you count the Q Cup teams too.

I don't think there are many ex-players in the front office at the moment, who have we got? Ash Graham does strength and conditioning, Michael Luck is the COO and Bear is a trainer. I think Glenn Hall does something but not too sure, I'm struggling to come up with any others. That seems about equivalent to what goes on at most clubs and it would be harsh to say any of those blokes don't deserve what they've got.
Ray Thompson and Winterstein are around. Tatey ? JT, Mango

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I still think our media output is just so below average.

It’s like the club hasn’t learnt that media content is one of the most important things these of running a sports franchise these days.

It’s not enough to just have a few pics at training every few days.

Club needs to invest good money in a person that just does video content.

Look at the type of content teams like the Panthers are putting on YouTube and tell me our club isn’t being left for dead in this respect.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I still think our media output is just so below average.

It’s like the club hasn’t learnt that media content is one of the most important things these of running a sports franchise these days.

It’s not enough to just have a few pics at training every few days.

Club needs to invest good money in a person that just does video content.

Look at the type of content teams like the Panthers are putting on YouTube and tell me our club isn’t being left for dead in this respect.
Have u seen the Knights: Be The Player?
Narrated by Alec Mcinnon

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
For me it's about TMM as an individual, not just every player who retires. It seems like from interviews that everyone at the club loves him and he brings a positive attitude to everything he does and would be good to have around in any role he could perform. Parr's interview hits the point home that he is highly regarded as a person around the club.

In saying that though, they shouldn't just create jobs out of nowhere to fit people in and he's going back to NZ for now anyway.
I agree. Similar circumstances to Ray Ray. Excellent clubman who has become a valuable engagement and community officer.

TMM might not want that kind of role (if it was even offered) and probably doesn't have the same personal connection to the community. Good luck to him in NZ.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks (of boring offseason), Stampede members have been voting on who they think Greeny will pick for Round 1 and who they would rather have in the team. The table below outlines your votes:

PREDICTED GREENY vs STAMPEDE PREFERRED Round 1 Teams

GREENY
STAMPEDE
PlayerPosOvPlayerPosOv
Valentine Holmes
93.3%​
100.0%​
Valentine Holmes
72.5%​
95.0%​
Kyle Feldt
96.7%​
96.7%​
Kyle Feldt
97.5%​
100.0%​
Esan Marsters
63.3%​
90.0%​
Esan Marsters
57.5%​
95.0%​
Tom Opacic
50.0%​
56.7%​
Tom Opacic
55.0%​
75.0%​
Justin O'Neill
50.0%​
96.7%​
Murray Taulagi
30.0%​
32.5%​
Scott Drinkwater
76.7%​
83.3%​
Michael Morgan
47.5%​
100.0%​
Michael Morgan
80.0%​
100.0%​
Jake Clifford
50.0%​
65.0%​
Josh McGuire
86.7%​
100.0%​
Josh McGuire
52.5%​
95.0%​
Jake Granville
86.7%​
93.3%​
Reece Robson
77.5%​
85.0%​
Jordan McLean
86.7%​
100.0%​
Jordan McLean
67.5%​
95.0%​
Gavin Cooper
100.0%​
100.0%​
Mitch Dunn
42.5%​
55.0%​
Shane Wright
60.0%​
73.3%​
Shane Wright
70.0%​
75.0%​
Jason Taumalolo
100.0%​
100.0%​
Jason Taumalolo
85.0%​
100.0%​
Reece Robson
66.7%​
80.0%​
John Asiata
42.5%​
45.0%​
Coen Hess
60.0%​
96.7%​
Coen Hess
62.5%​
90.0%​
John Asiata
86.7%​
86.7%​
Peter Hola
57.5%​
62.5%​
Francis Molo
90.0%​
90.0%​
Francis Molo
70.0%​
95.0%​
Ben Hampton
40.0%​
Scott Drinkwater
87.5%​
Peter Hola
33.3%​
Corey Jensen
42.5%​
Murray Taulagi
20.0%​
Tom Gilbert
40.0%​
Jake Clifford
16.7%​
Gavin Cooper
40.0%​
Tom Gilbert
13.3%​
Reuben Cotter
35.0%​
Mitch Dunn
10.0%​
Justin O'Neill
35.0%​
Corey Jensen
10.0%​
Murray Taulagi
32.5%​
Tukimihia Simpkins
6.7%​
Jake Granville
27.5%​
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
6.7%​
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
17.5%​
Ben Hampton
7.5%​
Tukimihia Simpkins
5.0%​
Daniel Russell
2.5%​

Pos: % of votes for the player at that specific position (jersey number)
Ov: % of votes received across ALL positions

Notes:
* 40 responses (each response = 2.5%)
* Backline is pretty much settled with only left-wing seen to be up for debate - Taulagi (30%), O'Neill (22.5%) and Holmes (22.5%) are the preferred options for the Stampeded voters.
* Halves are quite split amongst voters who were quite confident that Drinky and Morgo would be picked by Greeny. Clifford (62.5%) beats Drinky (45.0%) to partner Morgo in the halves largely due to Drinky splitting votes across FB, Centre (WTF?), Wing and both Halves while Clifford split only between the Halves and Centre (WTF?).
* Some interesting variance in the forwards with Robson the fan favourite and Granny pretty much on the outer (27.5% votes overall). Dunny (42.5%) replaces Coops (30%) in the second row for the fans.
* Only surprise on the bench is the lack of support for fan favourite John Asiata with half the votes of the predicted team.
* Drinky is the biggest outlier in terms of players missing the team (as explained above) outpointing eight players in the 17 in overall votes.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
This is my team after a 10 min think. Didn't get a chance to vote, but it's a little different to the norm.

1. Drinky
2. Feldt
3. Oppa
4. Marsters
5. Holmes
6. Morgan
7. Clifford
8. Molo
9. Robson
10. Macca
11. Taumalolo
12. Wright
13. Moose

14. Hampton
15. Hess
16. Asiata
17. Hola

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
This is my team after a 10 min think. Didn't get a chance to vote, but it's a little different to the norm.

1. Drinky
2. Feldt
3. Oppa
4. Marsters
5. Holmes
6. Morgan
7. Clifford
8. Molo
9. Robson
10. Macca
11. Taumalolo
12. Wright
13. Moose

14. Hampton
15. Hess
16. Asiata
17. Hola
There are a couple of things I like about this team.

1. Holmes is on the wing
2. Moose McGuire is in the starting thirteen. But not in the front row.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
We are definitely paying Val $1m a season to play on the wing.

Donelec

Junior
Donor
Reaction score
There are a couple of things I like about this team.

1. Holmes is on the wing
2. Moose McGuire is in the starting thirteen. But not in the front row.
Agree. Drinkwater hasn’t put a foot wrong at fullback and Holmes needs to prove the NFL stint hasn’t harmed him in the short term. Clifford needs the opportunity to grow on his experience last year. Just as long as Greenie doesn’t persevere for too long.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Agree. Drinkwater hasn’t put a foot wrong at fullback and Holmes needs to prove the NFL stint hasn’t harmed him in the short term. Clifford needs the opportunity to grow on his experience last year. Just as long as Greenie doesn’t persevere for too long.
Yep. Although I want Holmes on the wing because I think that is his best position. Not because of NFL etc.

Metro

How much a player is paid should not determine what position he plays in. Decisions should be based on what is best for the team.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We are definitely paying Val $1m a season to play on the wing.
Well we're not this year, and it doesn't matter it was just my 17.
Thinkin something similar the Sharks did a cpl of seasons ago and change players around mid game. Also the Blues played a 2 fullback game with Teddy and Turbo in origin. With 2 gun players with different attributes why restrict them?
I sayin that, we have been poor the past 2 seasons, can't keep doin the same plays the same style.

Donelec

Junior
Donor
Reaction score
2 Fullbacks ——-I’d like to see that but doubt Greeny’s that adventurous