Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Stampede Round 1 Predicted Team Poll

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Nobody has said that.

Or that.

Oh, that's easy: you like the Nines and mistakenly thought that I was against it. Despite my protestations and without double-checking, you have been acting as if that was the case ever since.
You're having a conversation with yourself where the credibility of the Nines is reduced to its injury record versus Trials. You've done this all on your own.

If you had read back, or read at all, you'd have seen that I think the Nines is a fine idea, post-season. The Nines is made for playing a bit looser, give the quick guys a chance to stretch and don't worry too much about up-and-in defence.

If you'd bothered to ask, I'd've told you that I have no reason to believe that more injuries occur in the Nines, just that doing it pre-season means that any injuries that occur have significant impact on the coming season, their being so close.

I did use the phrase, "pre-season massacre", you can understand now that my emphasis was on the "pre-season" part. As to my use of the word, "massacre", well yes, I'll give you that. My fault for thinking that you might have a sense of scale.
Well in any case I like the 9s and can’t wait for them to start!

Wonder whom will play?

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Still waiting for the latrell button
Let's medically retire someone. Ffs I'll be pissed if we actually could've signed him but didn't. People are kidding themselves if they think we dodged a bullet. Did the Roosters dodge a bullet when Latrell set up the winning try in the grand final last year? He's a big game player who just wants to feel special. We could've provided that.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Let's medically retire someone. Ffs I'll be pissed if we actually could've signed him but didn't. People are kidding themselves if they think we dodged a bullet. Did the Roosters dodge a bullet when Latrell set up the winning try in the grand final last year? He's a big game player who just wants to feel special. We could've provided that.
I nominate Juz

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

bundy bear

Qld Cup Player
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I would have been ok with LM coming to the the club before he started listening to Mundine, now he seems to come across as if the game owes him something. Hence we dodged a bullet.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I agree. I’d just like to watch a winning football team. It’s not like we are going for beers with these guys. Just win games and entertain us.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
TMM didn’t have a contract, did he?

No but considering he was still training with the team, you'd think the club would've set aside money for him.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
No but considering he was still training with the team, you'd think the club would've set aside money for him.
I'm guessing we only had minimal $$$ put aside for whoever the 30th man is or could be. TMM probably wouldn't have had much value on the open market with the associated risk of him playing (whatever that might have been) so it's not like we would have had to save $300k to keep him from signing elsewhere.

I was a little disappointed in the press release not having positive language around retaining him at the club in an off-field role. It sounded like he was leaving the club altogether - although not explicitly stated. Maybe he wanted to go home to Sydney? Would have been nice to see him around the club for at least the 2020 season so fans could pass on their best wishes in person.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing we only had minimal $$$ put aside for whoever the 30th man is or could be. TMM probably wouldn't have had much value on the open market with the associated risk of him playing (whatever that might have been) so it's not like we would have had to save $300k to keep him from signing elsewhere.

I was a little disappointed in the press release not having positive language around retaining him at the club in an off-field role. It sounded like he was leaving the club altogether - although not explicitly stated. Maybe he wanted to go home to Sydney? Would have been nice to see him around the club for at least the 2020 season so fans could pass on their best wishes in person.
They did say he's always welcome at the club. Perhaps they offered him a role but he doesn't want to stay in Townsville at the moment.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed in the press release not having positive language around retaining him at the club in an off-field role.
It seems that just about every year some people call for a club to retain a player or two in an off-field role. Unless these roles are unpaid, I don't see how any club could afford them. Clubs would end up paying a fortune for former players to do work that in many cases doesn't really exist.

The calls also assume the former player is suitable for the off field role.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Stampede Predicted ACTUAL Round 1 Team

1. Valentine Holmes (93.3%)
2. Kyle Feldt (96.7%)
3. Esan Marsters (63.3%)
4. Tom Opacic (50.0%)
5. Justin O'Neill (50.0%)

6. Scott Drinkwater (76.7%)
7. Michael Morgan (80.0%)

8. John McGuire (86.7%)
9. Jake Granville (86.7%)
10. Jordan McLean (86.7%)
11. Gavin Cooper (100.0%)
12. Shane Wright (60.0%)
13. Jason Taumalolo (100.0%)

14. Reece Robson (90.0%)
15. Coen Hess (60.0%)
16. John Asiata (86.7%)
17. Francis Molo (90.0%)

Notes:
* 30 responses (each response = 3.3%)
* Tom Gilbert predicted to play right wing over Kyle Feldt by 3.3% (1) of respondents - possibly a miss-click as they're adjacent in the dropdown list.
* Centre and left-wing are the most contentious with O'Neill (96.7%), Marsters (90.0%) and Opacic (56.7%) holding off Hampton (30.0%) and Taulagi (20.0%).
* Halves clear cut with Morgan (100.0%) and Drinkwater (83.3%). Clifford had 16.7%.
* Props were unanimous with only the number on the jersey varying.
* Stampede are confident Greeny will stick with Granny (86.7%) - interesting to see the results for preferred hooker from the other survey.
* Cooper was unanimous on the left with Wright (60.0%) edging Hess (36.7%) on the right.
* JT13 was unanimous.
* Bench selected based on total votes across the four bench positions adjusted for their highest voted number.
* Total bench voting:
* Molo (90.0%)​
* Asiata (86.7%)​
* Robson (66.7%)​
* Hess (60.0%)​
* Hola (33.3%)​
* Wright (13.3%)​
* Dunn (10.0%)​
* Hampton (10.0%)​
* Jensen (10.0%)​
* Quite a few people think Greeny will back some kids in Round 1:
* Gilbert (13.3%)​
* Simpkins (6.7%)​
* Tabuai-Fidow (6.7%)​

I'll post the PREFERRED results next Monday. Still time to vote for your preferred Round 1 team here.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I was a little disappointed in the press release not having positive language around retaining him at the club in an off-field role.
Why? It's not like he was Townsville junior & really he only played a handful of games.
I don't think the club is big enough to keep offering past players jobs/roles, it has to be reserved for those special players with longevity at the club.

Sad for TMM, but his time was probably limited even before the injury.
Wish him well

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
TMM was a good servant-hopefully the club can help him out post footy :confused: