Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Should the Cowboys call up Michael Parker Walshe for Saturday night v. Wests Tigers?

Should the Cowboys call up Michael Parker Walshe for Saturday night v. Wests Tigers?

• Yes - rush through the contractual paperwork

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No - let's go with a makeshift half to partner Thompson

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
For a one off game during Origin, makeshift is what happens.

You don't promote a part-timer who has never played a game of NRL, solely on the basis of "that's their position".

Between MPW and this latest one, you seem to be very obsessed with creating some sort of "fairytale" story of a part-timer making it into the NRL.
Well, what if it works...??? :)

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is it even possible for him to play this weekend? He's not even signed to us, nor is he in our top 25. There are salary cap considerations here too. I can't imagine it's as easy as rushing through a bit of paperwork.

Napoli

Sent Off
Reaction score
Is it even possible for him to play this weekend? He's not even signed to us, nor is he in our top 25. There are salary cap considerations here too. I can't imagine it's as easy as rushing through a bit of paperwork.
Teams sign players mid season all the time. How is this any different. We signed Tautau Moga in the middle of last season.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Plus he's injured lol.

Wolfbrother

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm an MPW fan but on this occasion I think Asiata/Thompson or Kosty/Thompson makes more sense. I would, however, prefer to see Chudleigh in the team instead of Hall.

Lui is injured and MPW has busted ribs. Even if we rushed through the paperwork and he was happy to sign it, he still wouldn't be physically able to take the field. So that option just isn't there.

Personally I'd prefer Asiata/Thompson. I guess I rate Asiata's ballplaying a lot more highly than others on here. He's spent plenty of time in the 6 as a junior, so it's not like it's totally unfamiliar territory to him.

Either way, I'd be looking to Granville and Coote to step up and steer our attack.

I'm predicting that Granville will score at least one try and Coote will be MOM.

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What is Cameron cullen status? He looks like a good little half is he contracted yet

rreader

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Don't think cullen (humble has played in the halves in NRL) is contracted with us.

http://www.cowboys.com.au/team/player-profiles.html altho I don't know if that's up to date. No Hess, and that young backrower we signed from nowhere who I haven't heard of since.

I don't really mind what happens of Asita 6 or Coote 6 with Murgha/Santo/Wright 1. I don't really want to see Rory in at 6 though.

Don't want to seem like FFS, but has Cudleigh played in the halves? Altho I say this to rule him out rather than to rule him in.

Last edited:

Napoli

Sent Off
Reaction score
Wtf is wrong with you Napoli? You have to be trolling.
It is not trolling to suggest that a talented halves player playing with QCup's number 1 team may be an option to play for us at a time when three of our halves are unavailable. Such a mid season move has a precedent. South Sydney signed Darren Nicholls of the North Devils mid season this season after Adam Reynolds went down with injury.

However, it seems like MPW is unable to be selected at the moment as he is injured.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
It is not trolling to suggest that a talented halves player playing with QCup's number 1 team may be an option to play for us at a time when three of our halves are unavailable. Such a mid season move has a precedent. South Sydney signed Darren Nicholls of the North Devils mid season this season after Adam Reynolds went down with injury.

However, it seems like MPW is unable to be selected at the moment as he is injured.
Darren Nicholls had a contract with the Broncos, he was in an NRL system.

Napoli

Sent Off
Reaction score
Darren Nicholls had a contract with the Broncos, he was in an NRL system.
MPW has previously been in an NRL system at the Cowboys. Also, several of our players play every week for the Townsville Blackhawks. They have official ties with the Cowboys so the Blackhawks are part of the Cowboys NRL system.

Darren Nicholls, like MPW has only played QCup. Has never played an NRL game.

Cowboys NRL system:

Cowboys
QCup teams - Townsville, Mackay, Northern Pride
Cowboys U20s.

Last edited:

lone_cowboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Napoli, I don't think you understand how far from being officially an NRL partner Qld cup teams are. They get paid a sum of money for North Qld to send them some players each week, they have absolutely no involvement in the club and in no way do the cowboys (or any nrl club) have any say in how a Qld Cup is run. Games are not even viewed weekly by NRL coaching staff for the purpose of seeing how their own players are going let alone guys that aren't contracted to an NRL club.

Chances are Paul Green hasn't even seen MPW play this season...

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
MPW has previously been in an NRL system at the Cowboys. Also, several of our players play every week for the Townsville Blackhawks. They have official ties with the Cowboys so the Blackhawks are part of the Cowboys NRL system.

Darren Nicholls, like MPW has only played QCup. Has never played an NRL game.

Cowboys NRL system:

Cowboys
QCup teams - Townsville, Mackay, Northern Pride
Cowboys U20s.
They might be apart of the nrl system but a player must still be contracted to the cowboys to play for us either by a first grade contract or a 2nd tier contract and to use players in the 2nd tier system I believe the club needs to apply for them to play and also must prove to the nrl that the position can't be filled by players in the top 25/30

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
They might be apart of the nrl system but a player must still be contracted to the cowboys to play for us either by a first grade contract or a 2nd tier contract and to use players in the 2nd tier system I believe the club needs to apply for them to play and also must prove to the nrl that the position can't be filled by players in the top 25/30
Well you would think we would have a bloody good case with JT, Morgo and Lui unavailable. What can a club do when origin and injuries hit a team simultaneously...???

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Greeny would be a silly man if he only watches the NRL and maybe NYC.

At the very least, I would hope Peter Parr is doing his homework...

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Not only the number 1 QLD Cup team.... but a pretty damn dominant one. And when Thompson and Lui were both at the Blackhawks, he still kept a halves position. He was even keeping star recruit Tom Humble out of the starting team.

deano

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Napoli, I don't think you understand how far from being officially an NRL partner Qld cup teams are. They get paid a sum of money for North Qld to send them some players each week, they have absolutely no involvement in the club and in no way do the cowboys (or any nrl club) have any say in how a Qld Cup is run. Games are not even viewed weekly by NRL coaching staff for the purpose of seeing how their own players are going let alone guys that aren't contracted to an NRL club.

not entirely true.. my understanding is talks between nrl coach and our feeder teams coaches does happen, how regular i am not sure but of course there are certain ways that the nrl coach wants his contracted players to play and of course patterns of play would also be discussed and of course how many minutes he wants them playing etc... not always the way things happen though... yes of course they do watch replays of games or live if they can.

lone_cowboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
not entirely true.. my understanding is talks between nrl coach and our feeder teams coaches does happen, how regular i am not sure but of course there are certain ways that the nrl coach wants his contracted players to play and of course patterns of play would also be discussed and of course how many minutes he wants them playing etc... not always the way things happen though... yes of course they do watch replays of games or live if they can.
You would be surprised how little communication there is between Nrl and Qld Cup teams

Napoli

Sent Off
Reaction score
Yeah right. The Cowboys are completely in the dark about how MPW is going this season ...