Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Russell Smith

Bernster

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Should he be sent back to Pommy Land?

He has been crap everytime I have watched him referee on telly (yes I have got Austar). It is time for him to go.

nq_gurl

Reaction score
the blokes on the sunday roast want him to be origin ref .............. mhm .... sure .... like hell!!!

Bernster

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
nq_gurl said:
the blokes on the sunday roast want him to be origin ref .............. mhm .... sure .... like hell!!!
I agree with that. Tim Mander should be the choice for Ref (After all, he is a QUEENSLANDER!!!).

Milligna

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I just hope Smiths not here for any Origin games, he already stuffed up one good game!

lukem88

Junior
Reaction score
Absolutley not.

We lack referee depth right now, there is no pressue on the current refs from the lower grades.

I would not have a problem if he refereed origin although I hope Mander will.

G
I voted NO - don't try and hang Russell Smith because the Cowboys lost on the weekend - if Cowboys won - then we wouldn't be having this discussion - move on, we lost, let's try and get the Bulldogs at Carrara, in 2 weeks time !!

Roo

Site Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what drugs people are taking when they bag Russell Smith out??? The guy is a top notch international referee who is AS good if not BETTER than nearly every other referee in the NRL.

As far as Saturday night goes he blew 13 penalties.

Of the other NRL matches penalty counts we are follows:
(=Avg 12.5)

He kept a good 10 metres, he did not tolerate any slowing down in the ruck area and was always looking for offside players.

He was also very cool and calm with the players, and shows a hell of a lot of respect for them as they do for him. (sign of a GREAT referee)

The only problem I had all night was the obstruction ruling, and that was left up to the video ref. I still maintain that the players in front of Payne and Tronc obstructed them of a straight run to the attacker. That one they got wrong IMO.

I feel that too many supporters feel as though the ref is always to blame. It's just to damn easy.

But unless you go out there and try reffing I would say that your comments are both unwarranted and ill-guided........it is a lot harder than it looks!

threestringedwunda

T
Sure let's send Smith home, Shane Hayne will get a run then...

MOON MAN

M
Russell Smith is a good referee most of the time, and his decisions had no bearing on the result on Saturday, but he allows the players to hang around the ruck for too long. There were times during Saturday night when he should have blown penalties both ways due to players hanging around the ruck. He killed the game by making it a bit slow IMO.

Tracey

T
Roo said:
I have no idea what drugs people are taking when they bag Russell Smith out??? The guy is a top notch international referee who is AS good if not BETTER than nearly every other referee in the NRL.

As far as Saturday night goes he blew 13 penalties.

Of the other NRL matches penalty counts we are follows:
(=Avg 12.5)

He kept a good 10 metres, he did not tolerate any slowing down in the ruck area and was always looking for offside players.

He was also very cool and calm with the players, and shows a hell of a lot of respect for them as they do for him. (sign of a GREAT referee)

The only problem I had all night was the obstruction ruling, and that was left up to the video ref. I still maintain that the players in front of Payne and Tronc obstructed them of a straight run to the attacker. That one they got wrong IMO.

I feel that too many supporters feel as though the ref is always to blame. It's just to damn easy.

But unless you go out there and try reffing I would say that your comments are both unwarranted and ill-guided........it is a lot harder than it looks!
Roo makes an excellent point here (....doesn't happen very often... :drunken: lol )

Why do we continue to blame Refs for every loss. I am not denying that there have been games over the years that truely were decided by a bad refs call, but the are few and far between.

I love nothing more than putting shit on a referee when watching a game. It's a right of passage....It's living in the moment, but once the game is over and clarity has returned, please people, be fair. Every loss the cows have had this season has been THEIR loss, not the Refs.

Even in the Semi's last year against the Rorters, yes we all agree the last decision by the Ref was a shocker, but the cows had 80 mins to win that game, they shouldn't have been relying on the last 8 secs.....

I'm just over the ref bashing. It is the same as the Coaches bashing. When are players going to be accountable for continuous losses and stop using coaches as scapegoats......

phew... i'm exhausted.... That's just my opinion !!!

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The ref didn't lose us the game on Saturday night. Our boys were beatin fair & square.

But, Smith still caused me no end of frustration through the whole game, not just in relation to our boys. I said it in another post & I'll say it again, hope he has learnt something, time to go home (and take Hayne with you).

mullup

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Smith was woeful on saturday night.

He normally does ref a reasonable game, for the simple reason that he has ZERO grasp of the NRL "style" of refereeing.

His refereeing can be good to watch, but it doesn't do the players much good being officiated by inconsistently.

Sorry Roo, as far as the NRl competition goes, Smith needs to get with the programme or piss off.

stubbsie

S
Yeah he was bad on saturday night but overall he has been ok in the games ive seen him ref. His still probaly getting used to the speed of the game etc.

G
What do you mean by : " get with the programme or piss off " mullup - IT'S TIME for you to answer my question brother ???? ............. pass around some of the good stuff, mullup................ Russell Smith isn't the worst Referee in the NRL !!

hermies_kye_yonky=8

H
Dont send Smith back. He is a top Ref, and while he has made some errors, he is still getting used to the pace of the Aussie game.

mullup

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
What WAS your "question" Benno..... hmmm I think you've had enough Iron Lungs!

mullup

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
What I meant was... Russell Smith, referee to NRL standards, not english standards, or piss off....

Now, will you be needing that explaination in braille?