Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Rugby Union developments

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Some interesting developments going on in rugby union at the moment. Particularly in Western Australia.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't use the word 'interesting' when talking about Rugby union.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Some interesting developments going on in rugby union at the moment. Particularly in Western Australia.
NRL should court the multi-millionaire who is threatening to fund a breakaway Union comp and give him an NRL licence for WA. Put his $200 odd million into a Perth franchise.

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
NRL should court the multi-millionaire who is threatening to fund a breakaway Union comp and give him an NRL licence for WA. Put his $200 odd million into a Perth franchise.
Too forward thinking for the NRL CEO

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder how far $200 million would actually get someone in regards to setting up a Football Club.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder how far $200 million would actually get someone in regards to setting up a Football Club.
No idea but the NRL grant that all Clubs get would be on top of that. Surely it would be cheaper for him to back an NRL franchise than a whole breakaway comp.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
They lost the court case against the ARU.

I do not believe they actually intend to form a breakaway competition. There is the expense and the experience of the Australian super league. I think it is more likely to be a ploy to try and bring the ARU to the negotiating table.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
They lost the court case against the ARU.

I do not believe they actually intend to form a breakaway competition. There is the expense and the experience of the Australian super league. I think it is more likely to be a ploy to try and bring the ARU to the negotiating table.
If I was head of NRL I would have an entourage on the plane to Perth with orders to woo him across to league. Perfect opportunity to get back into Perth.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
If I was head of NRL I would have an entourage on the plane to Perth with orders to woo him across to league. Perfect opportunity to get back into Perth.
Some people love their Rugby Union. This Forrest guy sounds like one of them. I would be surprised if he could be enticed to support rugby league. By the way, I am not in favour or Rugby League expansion in Australia.

In my opinion, it is the international game that needs expansion.

* There is currently a Super league side in France. Getting the Toulouse side into that competition within 5-10 years could help the game in France.
*Pacific Islands. e.g. Fiji? Not sure.
* The Toronto team is geographically isolated from the existing NRL and Super League.
* PNG has security issues. Not sure how many professional players (and their families) would want to move there. It was hard enough getting players to Townsville at one stage.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Some people love their Rugby Union. This Forrest guy sounds like one of them. I would be surprised if he could be enticed to support rugby league. By the way, I am not in favour or Rugby League expansion in Australia.

In my opinion, it is the international game that needs expansion.

* There is currently a Super league side in France. Getting the Toulouse side into that competition within 5-10 years could help the game in France.
*Pacific Islands. e.g. Fiji? Not sure.
* The Toronto team is geographically isolated from the existing NRL and Super League.
* PNG has security issues. Not sure how many professional players (and their families) would want to move there. It was hard enough getting players to Townsville at one stage.
For the game to survive it has to expand into new markets such as Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Logan/Toowoomba. We've got to be a truly National comp imo. The International game is another matter all together.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
For the game to survive it has to expand into new markets such as Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Logan/Toowoomba. We've got to be a truly National comp imo. The International game is another matter all together.
Yes. The international game has nothing to do with the NRLs structure. It is a completely seperate entity that all the leagues need to deal with. How that is, I don't know.

I do agree that this guy might be hard to get over to Rugby League. He probably wants a Union team. And just because he wants a Union team and can't have one, doesn't mean he just wants to throw money at something that's close enough.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Yes. The international game has nothing to do with the NRLs structure. It is a completely seperate entity that all the leagues need to deal with. How that is, I don't know.

I do agree that this guy might be hard to get over to Rugby League. He probably wants a Union team. And just because he wants a Union team and can't have one, doesn't mean he just wants to throw money at something that's close enough.
If only this was true.

There are only two sizeable rugby league competitions in the world. The NRL and Superleague. Rugby league will not develop in other parts of the World without the support (including finances) of one or both of these competitions.

If they are serious about developing a fourth of fifth nation, funds need to be diverted from either (or both of) the competitions above. A Toulouse team (currently in the level below Superleague I think) is not going to survive without help until it gets on its feet. I'm pretty sure this would have been the case with the French Catalans team. Expanding internationally means curtailing development elsewhere. i.e. new teams in Australia.

There is no need to have rugby league in every state of Australia. Even if there was, the talent pool would be stretched too thin as we have seen in years past with ARL and Australian superleague teams. There IS a need to develop rugby league internationally.

Last edited:

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
There is no need to have rugby league in every state of Australia. Even if there was, the talent pool would be stretched too thin as we have seen in years past with ARL and Australian superleague teams. There IS a need to develop rugby league internationally.
That's a copout. Put the teams in place with proper structures and support junior league and there will be ample players.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
That's a copout. Put the teams in place with proper structures and support junior league and there will be ample players.
It would be interesting to know how many Melbourne/Victorian junior rugby league players have made it to the NRL or even QLD cup level. That would probably indicate whether this is accurate or not.

The Storm have been in the competition since 1998.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Stido did specify proper structures and support of junior footy.

The storm have the bulk of their junior system in QLD and NSW. There is no incentive for them to invest in junior Vic league and the ARL have done the minimum