Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Retention. It’s time for the cowboys to come clean.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think the criticism is justified in hindsight, but I'm not sure what people expect some smart arses on an internet forum to do about it though, a letter writing campaign perhaps? I think it's always good to have some refreshment and if Parr is to leave, his legacy at the club is almost second to none.

Given that Dunn, Enari, Clifford, Wright and Molo have all had extended runs in the side this year, I feel we've turned a corner in respect of playing juniors, though.

The continued dwelling on the subject is tiring, and extremely reminiscent of previous members. It's bordering on a case of pining over a ex.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Who's at fault.....Parr or Green, doesnt really matter sadly it is what it is atm.
Something we’ll never know. May be neither. We have to remember that if a player REALLY wanted to stay, they’d take that little bit less money.

It’s all well and good to say “this player wanted to stay”, but how do you prove that? When you’ve got a fan questioning you on your decision, why not take the easy option and say it was a club decision?

Half these players mentioned, granted I don’t watch as many games as I used to, barely come across my radar anyway. And, frankly, I’m still sick of all this Ponga talk. He’s only what, 2 years into his knights contract? And he’s already reportedly wanting more and more money. Hardly screams of a loyal club man.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
I think the criticism is justified in hindsight, but I'm not sure what people expect some smart arses on an internet forum to do about it though, a letter writing campaign perhaps? I think it's always good to have some refreshment and if Parr is to leave, his legacy at the club is almost second to none.

Given that Dunn, Enari, Clifford, Wright and Molo have all had extended runs in the side this year, I feel we've turned a corner in respect of playing juniors, though.

The continued dwelling on the subject is tiring, and extremely reminiscent of previous members.
Should we cease discussing anything that isn’t in our power to change then? For a dedicated cowboys fan forum, there seems to be an ever growing list of topics that people don’t want to discuss. Once upon a time some of the biggest media outlets in Australia were reporting MPW was about to make his first grade debut due to a couple of smart arses on here. You never know who is reading these forums, and what topics of conversation may inspire a news piece that potentially could put the media spotlight on certain issues that could lead to positive change. At worst it’s just an opportunity to vent to like minded people.

I’m not entirely sure we have turned a corner. We’ve been forced to give them an extended run thanks largely to quite an extensive injury toll. Only Dunn and Molo were in our round 1 line up.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Do you have trouble reading? I have listed some of the players who we should have let go in order to have kept some of the ones I bolded. Didn’t think I had to further elaborate on all of them given how it is common knowledge what a monumental f*** up some of the decisions have been. But seeing as you were clearly in a coma during that period, I’ll give you a gentle reminder of what I can think of off the top of my head:

Coote should have been given the ass for Ponga, instead we decided to persist with him, only for him to fall out of favour and play just a handful of games the year KP left anyway.

Jahrome Hughes was another one that’s pathway was blocked by Coote who the club didn’t see a future in. Hughes left to Melbourne (played his first season there mostly in QCup) despite having a world class spine in front of him because Melbourne identified his talent and assured him he was in their future plans. Also signed Temaire Martin 6 months after Hughes left the club which was baffling to say the least. And before you mention he played in a grand final side, he was a passenger at best in that period and has gone on to be a flop, while Hughes has excelled and played for his country.

Granville should have made way for Brandon Smith. He’s had one good year in the 5 he’s been with us, and has failed to develop his passing or gas tank. Had the likes of Ben Hampton and Ray Thompson coming off the bench as back up hooker throughout the season. What a f***ing farce.

The likes of Uele and Horsburgh could have stayed at the club in replace of the plodder that is Jordan McLean who came to club at the same time as both their departures. Both those players are now fulfilling their talent, meanwhile McLean continues to plod along and unable to get out of second gear. Think we re-signed Bolton around that time too which is yet another master stroke by the club. Even a decision to keep Uele of Horsburgh at the expense of Patrick Kaufusi would have been the right call.

We lost Villiame Kikau a kid who had absolutely dominated the 20’s that anybody who has 2 functioning eyes could see was going to end up an exception player, and signed Blake f***ing leary and an ever declining Shaun fensom. Played duds like Spina that season a fair bit too that could have been instead valuable opportunities blooding Viliame into first grade. He really wanted to stay at the club, but had a clearer pathway to first grade at Penrith.

It’s people like you who baffle me as to how you can be comfortable with the quantity and quality of talent we’ve let go in the past few seasons, and honestly believe the club couldn’t have done anything more to keep some of them. We are fantastic at identifying talent, getting them into our system and nursing them through the pathways. However we are also absolutely f***ing diabolical when it comes to the point they are ready to play first grade and having faith in giving them an opportunity over lesser, but more experienced players.
People like me?
Mate you know f*** all what goes on behind the scenes, what players are actually on, the contract negotiations, the training regimes, the hidden injuries players are carrying etc etc etc.
Big man naming a reject list knowing better than club officials.

Ive not once tried to defend their decisions,

Just curious how YOU KNOW all these players you've highlighted could all be fit into our squad over a 5 year period under our salary cap, with JT taking up a million of it.

Anyway im over reading your dribble.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Tuala is going to be a good player. These things take time. Look at Molo. Last year he looked only average and with game experience and development he has come on really nicely.

I think Wright will be the next break out player. The club have been really patient with his development and he looks like he will be a good player going forward for us.

It takes time for people to feel comfortable playing at such an elite level. Once they are in a good mental zone, they can show their talent.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
People like me?
Mate you know f*** all what goes on behind the scenes, what players are actually on, the contract negotiations, the training regimes, the hidden injuries players are carrying etc etc etc.
Big man naming a reject list knowing better than club officials.

Ive not once tried to defend their decisions,

Just curious how YOU KNOW all these players you've highlighted could all be fit into our squad over a 5 year period under our salary cap, with JT taking up a million of it.

Anyway im over reading your dribble.
You asked who could have been kicked out of our squad in the relevant periods of time for the players I bolded to replace. I answered it and you have nothing to counter it. Salary cap restraints is not an excuse for the quantity of talent we’ve let go, especially with the amount of shit we’ve kept at the club instead that would be commanding similar coin.

2 of those listed we know for sure wanted to stay at this club - Brandon Smith and Viliame Kikau and would have been relatively cheap given they were unproven in first grade.

Your defence of the club with regards to our recruitment and retention is equivalent of jumping in quick sand.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Should we cease discussing anything that isn’t in our power to change then? For a dedicated cowboys fan forum, there seems to be an ever growing list of topics that people don’t want to discuss. Once upon a time some of the biggest media outlets in Australia were reporting MPW was about to make his first grade debut due to a couple of smart arses on here. You never know who is reading these forums, and what topics of conversation may inspire a news piece that potentially could put the media spotlight on certain issues that could lead to positive change. At worst it’s just an opportunity to vent to like minded people.

I’m not entirely sure we have turned a corner. We’ve been forced to give them an extended run thanks largely to quite an extensive injury toll. Only Dunn and Molo were in our round 1 line up.
Discuss away, I'm saying that the notion that if we (as in the forum) has any power to change this is delusional.

Accusing people of being "apologists" and "happy to accept" something is dumb keyboard warrior stuff, and not helping the discussion.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Discuss away, I'm saying that the notion that if we (as in the forum) has any power to change this is delusional.

Accusing people of being "apologists" and "happy to accept" something is dumb keyboard warrior stuff, and not helping the discussion.
I don’t believe anybody has claimed that this forum has definitive power to change this situation.

It’s nothing to do with being a keyboard warrior. I am calling a spade a spade. The club has no leg to stand on with regards to our poor recruitment/retention, yet there are people on here who’ll come up with every excuse under the sun in order to avoid criticising them.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The fact is we all know sfa about what goes on behind the scenes with regard to recruitment, retention and our salary cap position at certain times.

I have always found our Club very accommodating to fans. Why don't you put pen to paper, write to Parry and ask what questions you want to ask in a respectful way. You just may get your queries answered.

Reactions: BDR

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
The fact is we all know sfa about what goes on behind the scenes with regard to recruitment, retention and our salary cap position at certain times.

I have always found our Club very accommodating to fans. Why don't you put pen to paper, write to Parry and ask what questions you want to ask in a respectful way. You just may get your queries answered.
Yes. I’m sure Peter will be all too happy to out himself and admit the club has made many mistakes with regards to recruitment and retention. Great idea mate, I wish I had have thoug