Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Retention. It’s time for the cowboys to come clean.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
NQ Cowboy rejects XVII:

01. K. Ponga
02. C. Rona

03. T. Moga
04. E. Lowe
05. Z. Santo
06. K. Laybutt
07. J. Hughes
08. L. Ah Mau
09. B. Smith
10. B. Uele
11. V. Kikau
12. F. Kaufusi
13. C. Horsburgh

14. J. Segeyaro

15. P. Kaufusi
16. K. Tanginoa
17. P. Mago

*bolded player denotes somebody who I’d take in a heartbeat for our current squad

Tried coming up with a side of rejects who have been at the club in one way or another (it’s even more damning when you include talent that the club ignored completely like holmes etc), and have been discarded and gone on to bigger and better things. There are a couple of duds who are just warm bodies in the side as I was struggling to name a full side, but there is some serious talent in that starting 13 that we’ve let slip from our grasps in recent times.

Add to the failed projects of bad boy signings Barba and MacDonald, as well as the club signing notorious off field f*** up Todd Carney (only to be saved by the NRL) it is time somebody at the club was held accountable for our extremely poor recruitment and retention.
I read Peter Parr could be off to the Broncos. For the good he has done at the club, it might be time to head in a new direction.

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
NQ Cowboy rejects XVII:

01. K. Ponga
02. C. Rona

03. T. Moga
04. E. Lowe
05. Z. Santo
06. K. Laybutt
07. J. Hughes
08. L. Ah Mau
09. B. Smith
10. B. Uele
11. V. Kikau
12. F. Kaufusi
13. C. Horsburgh

14. J. Segeyaro

15. P. Kaufusi
16. K. Tanginoa
17. P. Mago

*bolded player denotes somebody who I’d take in a heartbeat for our current squad

Tried coming up with a side of rejects who have been at the club in one way or another (it’s even more damning when you include talent that the club ignored completely like holmes etc), and have been discarded and gone on to bigger and better things. There are a couple of duds who are just warm bodies in the side as I was struggling to name a full side, but there is some serious talent in that starting 13 that we’ve let slip from our grasps in recent times.

Add to the failed projects of bad boy signings Barba and MacDonald, as well as the club signing notorious off field f*** up Todd Carney (only to be saved by the NRL) it is time somebody at the club was held accountable for our extremely poor recruitment and retention.
I read Peter Parr could be off to the Broncos. For the good he has done at the club, it might be time to head in a new direction.
Yep that is a reject team.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Yep that is a reject team.
Ponga has gone on to be QLD’s fullback and one of the best players in the world.

Rona has gone on to play for the Wallabies and was the Waratahs leading try scorer this year.

Hughes has gone on to cement the fullback spot at the best club in the NRL, while also representing NZ.

Brandon has gone on to be a handy acquisition who’d be starting at a lot of NRL clubs, while also representing NZ.

Uele has had a break out year for Cronulla and has been one of their best middle forwards.

Kikau has gone on to be a mainstay at Penrith and one of the most damaging ball runners in the competition.

F Kaufusi has gone on to be a mainstay at the best club in the competition, winning a premiership while also representing his state and country.

Horsburgh has had a breakout year for Canberra and is a future QLD representative.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I agree it's about time we did move on from Peter Parr. I still find it strange that he went from CEO back to football manager a few years ago. He's never really been held accountable for anything despite being in control of everything. We did a terrible job at turning over our roster after that premiership and you'd have to think the blame rests largely on him. A lot of those guys have really kicked on since our premiership year too, would've been better had they kicked on in our system. I think around that time we put more effort into preserving our current success for as long as possible rather than building for further success in the future. The Storm seem to be able to do both at the same time.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
NQ Cowboy rejects XVII:

01. K. Ponga
02. C. Rona

03. T. Moga
04. E. Lowe
05. Z. Santo
06. K. Laybutt
07. J. Hughes
08. L. Ah Mau
09. B. Smith
10. B. Uele
11. V. Kikau
12. F. Kaufusi
13. C. Horsburgh

14. J. Segeyaro

15. P. Kaufusi
16. K. Tanginoa
17. P. Mago

Ponga left, get over it. Rona signed big money with the Dogs (i thnk Cantrebury). The Melbourne boys have a unique salary cap. Segs is a mess in life in general. They chose Hess over Kikua, at the time most would have agreed right decision. Has Mago played much yet for the Donks? f***s me on the rest. Parrs balls up abit, it's been noted, but don't whinge over this shit.

Reactions: CC

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The worst loss is Smith, we could have and should have kept him and didn't have anyone as talented to replace him when he left. I also think we should have kept Kikau given the resources we put into him but something was up there, think he may have wanted out. He was only with us for like 18 months before signing the first contract elsewhere that came his way.

All others I can live with leaving given the circumstances at the time. It's easy to look at it in a vacuum and say we've let a lot of talent go but players fall out of favour for varying reasons or have their NRL pathways blocked at the time.

The Ponga thing is done to death but we truly did all we could to keep him.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Ponga left, get over it. Rona signed big money with the Dogs (i thnk Cantrebury). The Melbourne boys have a unique salary cap. Segs is a mess in life in general. They chose Hess over Kikua, at the time most would have agreed right decision. Has Mago played much yet for the Donks? f***s me on the rest. Parrs balls up abit, it's been noted, but don't whinge over this shit.
So you admit that Parr has “balls up abit” but nobody can discuss it and seek a solution in order for the club to improve its recruitment and retention? Should we just continue to lick windows and watch our officials try and sign the next Ben Barba, Nene MacDonald, Todd Carney and continue to watch it blow up in our face?

The worst loss is Smith, we could have and should have kept him and didn't have anyone as talented to replace him when he left. I also think we should have kept Kikau given the resources we put into him but something was up there, think he may have wanted out. He was only with us for like 18 months before signing the first contract elsewhere that came his way.

All others I can live with leaving given the circumstances at the time. It's easy to look at it in a vacuum and say we've let a lot of talent go but players fall out of favour for varying reasons or have their NRL pathways blocked at the time.

The Ponga thing is done to death but we truly did all we could to keep him.
Kikau wanted to stay. He loved the club and town.

You make note that prospective players have their pathway to first grade blocked and leave to increase their chances of playing and this is exactly one of the points i’m making - our club have absolutely bottled this in recent times. Brandon’s pathway was blocked by a bloke who can’t even pass off the ground or play 80 minutes. Kalyn’s pathway was blocked by a bloke who went on to fall out of favour and only play 9 matches for us in the year Kalyn left to play for Newcastle. Jahrome the same reason, and even was happy to leave to play reserve grade in his first year at Melbourne. These are key positions in our spine who to this day we’re still struggling to fill.

If our players are put under intense scrutiny by coaches in order to identify faults and fix them, who is doing the same for the likes of Parr and others who are heavily involved with recruitment and retention? Barba, Macdonald, Carney all with their own problems off the field and we think it’s a good idea to sign them all in the space of 18 months? It’s simply not good enough.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It's an impressive list, with the exception of Rona who is a journeyman level NRL winger at best.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
So you admit that Parr has “balls up abit” but nobody can discuss it and seek a solution in order for the club to improve its recruitment and retention? Should we just continue to lick windows and watch our officials try and sign the next Ben Barba, Nene MacDonald, Todd Carney and continue to watch it blow up in our face?
You can lick windows or cry fowl all you want. You are bringin up stuff that's been mentioned multiple times before. No one's denying it, but even mentioning Ponga again is just sad. Even some of the muppets mentioned in your list is comical. Who do we kick out of our top 30 to keep your reject side?

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
You can lick windows or cry fowl all you want. You are bringin up stuff that's been mentioned multiple times before. No one's denying it, but even mentioning Ponga again is just sad. Even some of the muppets mentioned in your list is comical. Who do we kick out of our top 30 to keep your reject side?
Is there a forum rule where topics can only be discussed once? Given the failed Nene signing, it adds to an ever growing list of mistakes made by those in charge of recruitment and retention and makes the topic relevant once again.

Out of those bolded who do you think couldn’t be in our current top 30?

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Is there a forum rule where topics can only be discussed once? Given the failed Nene signing, it adds to an ever growing list of mistakes made by those in charge of recruitment and retention and makes the topic relevant once again.

Out of those bolded who do you think couldn’t be in our current top 30?
That's a great answer considering these players were in the system within a 5 year period and we made 2 GF's between then.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
That's a great answer considering these players were in the system within a 5 year period and we made 2 GF's between then.
The 2017 grand final is the worst thing that’s happened to the club. St George losing on the final day of the regular season put wallpaper over the cracks that was a very ordinary season. We went on a miracle 3 week run and suddenly we’ve gone from probably seriously re evaluating our list and where we’re at, to popping champagne bottles and re-signing anyone and everyone. It’s as if the 3 weeks of good footy has a men in black-esque memory wipe of the 24 weeks before hand that had a lot of underperforming players for a large part of the season.

Those bolded all walk into the squad at the expense of the likes of Anderson, GGM, Bolton, Granville, Baptise, TMM, McLean, Bowen, Hampton etc. Granted you can’t get it always right therefore a bit of leeway should be granted to the club. But there is far too much quality we’ve let go in the last couple of years to give the club the benefit of the doubt considering we’re staring down the barrel of yet another bottom 8 finish.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You make note that prospective players have their pathway to first grade blocked and leave to increase their chances of playing and this is exactly one of the points i’m making - our club have absolutely bottled this in recent times. Brandon’s pathway was blocked by a bloke who can’t even pass off the ground or play 80 minutes. Kalyn’s pathway was blocked by a bloke who went on to fall out of favour and only play 9 matches for us in the year Kalyn left to play for Newcastle. Jahrome the same reason, and even was happy to leave to play reserve grade in his first year at Melbourne. These are key positions in our spine who to this day we’re still struggling to fill.
I think Ponga would have played all or a majority of 2018 at fullback for us, he wanted out which is made obvious by his actions when he signed for Newcastle. Hughes is whatever, he is a decent player but still doesn't strike me as an elite NRL fullback. Don't think the club ever believed in him.

Agree with you on Smith - that was a serious botch and everyone knew it at the time too.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The 2017 grand final is the worst thing that’s happened to the club. St George losing on the final day of the regular season put wallpaper over the cracks that was a very ordinary season. We went on a miracle 3 week run and suddenly we’ve gone from probably seriously re evaluating our list and where we’re at, to popping champagne bottles and re-signing anyone and everyone. It’s as if the 3 weeks of good footy has a men in black-esque memory wipe of the 24 weeks before hand that had a lot of underperforming players for a large part of the season.

Those bolded all walk into the squad at the expense of the likes of Anderson, GGM, Bolton, Granville, Baptise, TMM, McLean, Bowen, Hampton etc. Granted you can’t get it always right therefore a bit of leeway should be granted to the club. But there is far too much quality we’ve let go in the last couple of years to give the club the benefit of the doubt considering we’re staring down the barrel of yet another bottom 8 finish.
I didn't think you could answer the question properly.. anyway

To repeat not many would deny some of Parr's/ the clubs gambles with CArney, Barba. Now Nene and the so close signature of Holmes. These haven't payed off.

Out of your reject list, some wanted to stay, some wanted out. Some can't even make and NRL side.
You're pushing your point midway thru 2019 and naming players from 5 years ago. Some of these are just poor examples.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
I didn't think you could answer the question properly.. anyway

To repeat not many would deny some of Parr's/ the clubs gambles with CArney, Barba. Now Nene and the so close signature of Holmes. These haven't payed off.

Out of your reject list, some wanted to stay, some wanted out. Some can't even make and NRL side.
You're pushing your point midway thru 2019 and naming players from 5 years ago. Some of these are just poor examples.
I answered your question.

I already stated that some of those names in the 17 are ordinary and are purely warm bodies in order to name a team to put things into perspective. The overwhelming majority of those bolded left because the club did not have them in their immediate plans and were denying them opportunities.

Only 3 out of the 9 I bolded left 5 or more years ago. The other 6 could all have put this club in the position to push for another premiership had our recruitment and retention been spot on.

The Peter Parr apologists never cease to amaze me. Never in our history have we let go the quality of talent that we have in the last few years. Something is obviously wrong with regards to retaining talent and/or being able to make the right calls with letting go of players we currently have to create pathways for said talent. Something needs to change otherwise we’ll keep making the same mistakes.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I answered your question.

I already stated that some of those names in the 17 are ordinary and are purely warm bodies in order to name a team to put things into perspective. The overwhelming majority of those bolded left because the club did not have them in their immediate plans and were denying them opportunities.

Only 3 out of the 9 I bolded left 5 or more years ago. The other 6 could all have put this club in the position to push for another premiership had our recruitment and retention been spot on.

The Peter Parr apologists never cease to amaze me. Never in our history have we let go the quality of talent that we have in the last few years. Something is obviously wrong with regards to retaining talent and/or being able to make the right calls with letting go of players we currently have to create pathways for said talent. Something needs to change otherwise we’ll keep making the same mistakes.
No u haven't, you listed about 6-7 players, non really in the time frame as a like for like.

Some we've picked up on the cheap, and half may be re-signed. Most of these signings fans were excited about at the time.

Would have been great to keep some of these players, ponga, smith, kiku no doubt. Once again at the time who were they ment to let go or not sign?

Who are these "Peter Parr apologists"? They've obviously upset you

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
No u haven't, you listed about 6-7 players, non really in the time frame as a like for like.

Some we've picked up on the cheap, and half may be re-signed. Most of these signings fans were excited about at the time.

Would have been great to keep some of these players, ponga, smith, kiku no doubt. Once again at the time who were they ment to let go or not sign?

Who are these "Peter Parr apologists"? They've obviously upset you
Do you have trouble reading? I have listed some of the players who we should have let go in order to have kept some of the ones I bolded. Didn’t think I had to further elaborate on all of them given how it is common knowledge what a monumental f*** up some of the decisions have been. But seeing as you were clearly in a coma during that period, I’ll give you a gentle reminder of what I can think of off the top of my head:

Coote should have been given the ass for Ponga, instead we decided to persist with him, only for him to fall out of favour and play just a handful of games the year KP left anyway.

Jahrome Hughes was another one that’s pathway was blocked by Coote who the club didn’t see a future in. Hughes left to Melbourne (played his first season there mostly in QCup) despite having a world class spine in front of him because Melbourne identified his talent and assured him he was in their future plans. Also signed Temaire Martin 6 months after Hughes left the club which was baffling to say the least. And before you mention he played in a grand final side, he was a passenger at best in that period and has gone on to be a flop, while Hughes has excelled and played for his country.

Granville should have made way for Brandon Smith. He’s had one good year in the 5 he’s been with us, and has failed to develop his passing or gas tank. Had the likes of Ben Hampton and Ray Thompson coming off the bench as back up hooker throughout the season. What a f***ing farce.

The likes of Uele and Horsburgh could have stayed at the club in replace of the plodder that is Jordan McLean who came to club at the same time as both their departures. Both those players are now fulfilling their talent, meanwhile McLean continues to plod along and unable to get out of second gear. Think we re-signed Bolton around that time too which is yet another master stroke by the club. Even a decision to keep Uele of Horsburgh at the expense of Patrick Kaufusi would have been the right call.

We lost Villiame Kikau a kid who had absolutely dominated the 20’s that anybody who has 2 functioning eyes could see was going to end up an exception player, and signed Blake f***ing leary and an ever declining Shaun fensom. Played duds like Spina that season a fair bit too that could have been instead valuable opportunities blooding Viliame into first grade. He really wanted to stay at the club, but had a clearer pathway to first grade at Penrith.

It’s people like you who baffle me as to how you can be comfortable with the quantity and quality of talent we’ve let go in the past few seasons, and honestly believe the club couldn’t have done anything more to keep some of them. We are fantastic at identifying talent, getting them into our system and nursing them through the pathways. However we are also absolutely f***ing diabolical when it comes to the point they are ready to play first grade and having faith in giving them an opportunity over lesser, but more experienced players.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I dont realistically think KP was ever going to stay, no matter what was on offer.
Its my opinion that his move to the knights was more about his old man than it was about Kalyn.
The biggest failure would have to be B.Smith, he should have been a high priority signing, given that we are told that he wanted to stay.
Who's at fault.....Parr or Green, doesnt really matter sadly it is what it is atm.
Might be time for Parr to move on, & Greeny well he gets 1 more year to turn this shit around

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk