Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Retention. It’s time for the cowboys to come clean.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
NQ Cowboy rejects XVII:

01. K. Ponga
02. C. Rona

03. T. Moga
04. E. Lowe
05. Z. Santo
06. K. Laybutt
07. J. Hughes
08. L. Ah Mau
09. B. Smith
10. B. Uele
11. V. Kikau
12. F. Kaufusi
13. C. Horsburgh

14. J. Segeyaro

15. P. Kaufusi
16. K. Tanginoa
17. P. Mago

*bolded player denotes somebody who I’d take in a heartbeat for our current squad

Tried coming up with a side of rejects who have been at the club in one way or another (it’s even more damning when you include talent that the club ignored completely like holmes etc), and have been discarded and gone on to bigger and better things. There are a couple of duds who are just warm bodies in the side as I was struggling to name a full side, but there is some serious talent in that starting 13 that we’ve let slip from our grasps in recent times.

Add to the failed projects of bad boy signings Barba and MacDonald, as well as the club signing notorious off field f*** up Todd Carney (only to be saved by the NRL) it is time somebody at the club was held accountable for our extremely poor recruitment and retention.
I read Peter Parr could be off to the Broncos. For the good he has done at the club, it might be time to head in a new direction.

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
NQ Cowboy rejects XVII:

01. K. Ponga
02. C. Rona

03. T. Moga
04. E. Lowe
05. Z. Santo
06. K. Laybutt
07. J. Hughes
08. L. Ah Mau
09. B. Smith
10. B. Uele
11. V. Kikau
12. F. Kaufusi
13. C. Horsburgh

14. J. Segeyaro

15. P. Kaufusi
16. K. Tanginoa
17. P. Mago

*bolded player denotes somebody who I’d take in a heartbeat for our current squad

Tried coming up with a side of rejects who have been at the club in one way or another (it’s even more damning when you include talent that the club ignored completely like holmes etc), and have been discarded and gone on to bigger and better things. There are a couple of duds who are just warm bodies in the side as I was struggling to name a full side, but there is some serious talent in that starting 13 that we’ve let slip from our grasps in recent times.

Add to the failed projects of bad boy signings Barba and MacDonald, as well as the club signing notorious off field f*** up Todd Carney (only to be saved by the NRL) it is time somebody at the club was held accountable for our extremely poor recruitment and retention.
I read Peter Parr could be off to the Broncos. For the good he has done at the club, it might be time to head in a new direction.
Yep that is a reject team.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Yep that is a reject team.
Ponga has gone on to be QLD’s fullback and one of the best players in the world.

Rona has gone on to play for the Wallabies and was the Waratahs leading try scorer this year.

Hughes has gone on to cement the fullback spot at the best club in the NRL, while also representing NZ.

Brandon has gone on to be a handy acquisition who’d be starting at a lot of NRL clubs, while also representing NZ.

Uele has had a break out year for Cronulla and has been one of their best middle forwards.

Kikau has gone on to be a mainstay at Penrith and one of the most damaging ball runners in the competition.

F Kaufusi has gone on to be a mainstay at the best club in the competition, winning a premiership while also representing his state and country.

Horsburgh has had a breakout year for Canberra and is a future QLD representative.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I agree it's about time we did move on from Peter Parr. I still find it strange that he went from CEO back to football manager a few years ago. He's never really been held accountable for anything despite being in control of everything. We did a terrible job at turning over our roster after that premiership and you'd have to think the blame rests largely on him. A lot of those guys have really kicked on since our premiership year too, would've been better had they kicked on in our system. I think around that time we put more effort into preserving our current success for as long as possible rather than building for further success in the future. The Storm seem to be able to do both at the same time.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
NQ Cowboy rejects XVII:

01. K. Ponga
02. C. Rona

03. T. Moga
04. E. Lowe
05. Z. Santo
06. K. Laybutt
07. J. Hughes
08. L. Ah Mau
09. B. Smith
10. B. Uele
11. V. Kikau
12. F. Kaufusi
13. C. Horsburgh

14. J. Segeyaro

15. P. Kaufusi
16. K. Tanginoa
17. P. Mago

Ponga left, get over it. Rona signed big money with the Dogs (i thnk Cantrebury). The Melbourne boys have a unique salary cap. Segs is a mess in life in general. They chose Hess over Kikua, at the time most would have agreed right decision. Has Mago played much yet for the Donks? f***s me on the rest. Parrs balls up abit, it's been noted, but don't whinge over this shit.

Reactions: CC

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The worst loss is Smith, we could have and should have kept him and didn't have anyone as talented to replace him when he left. I also think we should have kept Kikau given the resources we put into him but something was up there, think he may have wanted out. He was only with us for like 18 months before signing the first contract elsewhere that came his way.

All others I can live with leaving given the circumstances at the time. It's easy to look at it in a vacuum and say we've let a lot of talent go but players fall out of favour for varying reasons or have their NRL pathways blocked at the time.

The Ponga thing is done to death but we truly did all we could to keep him.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Ponga left, get over it. Rona signed big money with the Dogs (i thnk Cantrebury). The Melbourne boys have a unique salary cap. Segs is a mess in life in general. They chose Hess over Kikua, at the time most would have agreed right decision. Has Mago played much yet for the Donks? f***s me on the rest. Parrs balls up abit, it's been noted, but don't whinge over this shit.
So you admit that Parr has “balls up abit” but nobody can discuss it and seek a solution in order for the club to improve its recruitment and retention? Should we just continue to lick windows and watch our officials try and sign the next Ben Barba, Nene MacDonald, Todd Carney and continue to watch it blow up in our face?

The worst loss is Smith, we could have and should have kept him and didn't have anyone as talented to replace him when he left. I also think we should have kept Kikau given the resources we put into him but something was up there, think he may have wanted out. He was only with us for like 18 months before signing the first contract elsewhere that came his way.

All others I can live with leaving given the circumstances at the time. It's easy to look at it in a vacuum and say we've let a lot of talent go but players fall out of favour for varying reasons or have their NRL pathways blocked at the time.

The Ponga thing is done to death but we truly did all we could to keep him.
Kikau wanted to stay. He loved the club and town.

You make note that prospective players have their pathway to first grade blocked and leave to increase their chances of playing and this is exactly one of the points i’m making - our club have absolutely bottled this in recent times. Brandon’s pathway was blocked by a bloke who can’t even pass off the ground or play 80 minutes. Kalyn’s pathway was blocked by a bloke who went on to fall out of favour and only play 9 matches for us in the year Kalyn left to play for Newcastle. Jahrome the same reason, and even was happy to leave to play reserve grade in his first year at Melbourne. These are key positions in our spine who to this day we’re still struggling to fill.

If our players are put under intense scrutiny by coaches in order to identify faults and fix them, who is doing the same for the likes of Parr and others who are heavily involved with recruitment and retention? Barba, Macdonald, Carney all with their own problems off the field and we think it’s a good idea to sign them all in the space of 18 months? It’s simply not good enough.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It's an impressive list, with the exception of Rona who is a journeyman level NRL winger at best.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
So you admit that Parr has “balls up abit” but nobody can discuss it and seek a solution in order for the club to improve its recruitment and retention? Should we just continue to lick windows and watch our officials try and sign the next Ben Barba, Nene MacDonald, Todd Carney and continue to watch it blow up in our face?
You can lick windows or cry fowl all you want. You are bringin up stuff that's been mentioned multiple times before. No one's denying it, but even mentioning Ponga again is just sad. Even some of the muppets mentioned in your list is comical. Who do we kick out of our top 30 to keep your reject side?