Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Recruitment and Retention 2012-2013 (rumoured and confirmed signings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Good we didn't get him. But how the f**k can the Titans afford him lol?
Yes.......one has got to wonder how Mr Searle manages to balance those books successfully lol......

butchmcrichard

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Papers down here are linking them with Cronk too.

I must say Taylor ripped **** up today against the panthers

Well done fitting him under the cap

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
DAVE Taylor has quit the South Sydney Rabbitohs and will join the Gold Coast Titans next NRL season due to family reasons.

The Queensland Origin backrower has signed a three year deal.

"I have really enjoyed my time at the Rabbitohs," Taylor said in a statement released by Souths.

"The club, the players and fans have been very good to me. I came here wanting to become a better player, and I will be leaving here as a State of Origin player, a better person, and with another daughter in our young family.

"I appreciate the patience the club has shown, allowing me to make the choice that was best for me.

"It has been a difficult decision, but one I have made with my family in mind.

"We still have a job to do at the Rabbitohs, and I will continue to do my best for the club."

He would have been a good signing for us. Why would he sign with the Titans when the club's having major finance troubles and their unlikely to even be in the comp within the next few years.

chiefcowboy48

First Grader
Reaction score
Yes.......one has got to wonder how Mr Seale manages to balance those books successfully lol......
Who cares? Let them keep wasting money on forwards. Its quality and depth out wide where they need to recruit and yet they spend more money on forwards.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Who cares? Let them keep wasting money on forwards. Its quality and depth out wide where they need to recruit and yet they spend more money on forwards.
--------------

I agree. But that is the coach for you. I really think he is a " One trick pony. " To me, I have always thought that a former back turns out to be a better coach. Sure their are exceptions but generally I think that rule applies. I have no hard data for it, and have just based it on what i thought. Statistics might show up differently.

Gould is the one forward who you could claim was a success, I am struggling to find others, yet the NRL Coaches and ex Coaches is full of former backs. Anybody care to add to this to see if I am right or is it rubbish.

Pete.

butchmcrichard

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that we are chasing Albert Kelly from the sharks.

That said it was from a mates nephew who lives in oonoomba so i wOuldnt bet my life on it

Wolfbrother

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

That said it was from a mates nephew who lives in oonoomba so i wOuldnt bet my life on it
Would be interesting if true. Kelly's an ok player, but he can really only play five-eighth.

I think our squad is fine - maybe a quality prop short - and I can't see Kelly being anything more than depth.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

The clubs already said their not interested.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that we are chasing Albert Kelly from the sharks.That said it was from a mates nephew who lives in oonoomba so i wOuldnt bet my life on it
He was sacked from Cronulla last week.

butchmcrichard

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Just saw on ten news Willie Mason has signed with the tigers.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
One of the club's best recruitment/retention plays was the extension of JT3's contract for another 4 years.
I sit in the Western Stand and his try on Saturday was quite special.
Television did not do it justice, but when he broke Ben Robert's tackle his acceleration for the next 20m was amazing - think charging rhinoceros.

He is a beast - having him here for the next 3 years (after this one) is far better than signing David Taylor IMO.

dakapayne

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Just saw on ten news Willie Mason has signed with the tigers.
That is great news. It will be very natural to go back to heckling big Willie.

One of the club's best recruitment/retention plays was the extension of JT3's contract for another 4 years.
Television did not do it justice, but when he broke Ben Robert's tackle his acceleration for the next 20m was amazing - think charging rhinoceros.

He is a beast - having him here for the next 3 years (after this one) is far better than signing David Taylor IMO.

Agreed!

Thurman Merman

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think Tariq Sims and Jason Taumalolo will be much better than Taylor in the "destructive" 2nd rower role. Happy we didn't sign him.

Is the Willie Mason signing definite or just speculation? He was probably one of our better performers on the field when he was here, but there wasn't a lot of competition that year!

marymudcrab

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
A focused and fit Taylor would easily be one of the most destructive 2nd rowers in the comp, wish he stayed at broncos because I don't think the Rabbitohs or Titans will get the best out of him

butchmcrichard

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Wests Tigers on the verge of signing clubless star Willie Mason
  • <
Willie Mason is set to be signed by Wests Tigers.

THE Wests Tigers are on the brink of signing former Test forward Willie Mason.

And The Daily Telegraph has been told Mason, 32, could announce a new club sometime this week.​
Newcastle was touted as another potential suitor but Knights officials are adamant their club is not interested in Mason, who has returned from a short flirtation with French rugby union.
Although deemed by some as a troublemaker, Mason is 194 cm (6ft, 4in) and weighs 115 kg (18st, 2lb) giving the Tigers additional size and strength in their pack.
The Tigers are preparing to discuss Mason's possible arrival with all their stakeholders, including sponsors and the players.
Although aware of Mason's on-field ability, there is resistance from some on the Wests Tigers coaching staff.

It is understood the Tigers would consider offering Mason a two-year deal, possibly as a second tier player.
Senior officials from rival NRL clubs already believe Mason has struck some agreement with Wests Tigers.
Mason has kept fit by undergoing a gruelling individual training program while waiting for an NRL club offer.
The Tigers have struggled up-front since losing Todd Payten (retired), Andrew Fifita (Cronulla) and Bryce Gibbs (Cronulla) in the past few months.
Australian prop Keith Galloway is also injured.
Rookie props Matt Groat and Aaron Woods have done a solid job but some feel they need the presence of a more senior front-rower in the club.
Mason's manager, Greg Keenan, was overseas and unavailable to be reached. Fellow agent Sam Ayoub is assisting Keenan in the negotiations.
Wests Tigers management will though be mindful how the club's fans accept Mason, should he sign. Mason has always polarised public opinion.
Wests Tigers' talks with Mason have come after the club initially claimed they weren't interested in the big forward, who previously played for Canterbury, Sydney Roosters and North Queensland.
But a couple of losses and a few injury concerns has put Mason back on the radar at Concord, although Tigers legend Steve Roach believes the club should look elsewhere.
"The Tigers need a front-rower. Willie is back-rower," said Tigers legend Steve Roach.
"The young blokes are doing a good job. They're just not ready for the impact of NRL yet. I think they are more suited off the bench. That's my opinion.
"The Tigers need a more experienced prop to absorb the early stuff. Their (prop) stocks are down but you just can't make Willie a front-rower."
The Bulldogs reiterated they have no interest in the former NSW forward.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/wests-tigers-on-the-verge-of-signing-clubless-star-willie-mason/story-e6frfgbo-1226304374697

not confirmed but looks very close to it

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The Tigers will learn from their mistake when he has a fallout with management which will be inevitable as he seems unable to sustain professionalism which is why no club wants to keep him long term, In saying that he was good for us in 2010 however i am positive that there were reasons that he was not even offered a deal in North Queensland beyond that period, and I am sure he was filthy about it which is why most likely why decided to burn all bridges by talking to the media about the cowboys internally ........

I Don't know if Big Willie will ever mature, but good luck to him with his future endeavors with the West Tigers.......I am sure the Tigers will need a high pressure water gernie to spray the mud off there doorsteps at the end of his tenure lol

ausmojo

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Abso****enlutely agree with this. I too sit in the western on the 20m line and when he made both those big runs you could hear him just smack Roberts and go straight past him. He was running with pace and I don't think anyone would've stopped him. Can't wait to get Sims back out there too. Salivating at the thought.

nqboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
--------------

I agree. But that is the coach for you. I really think he is a " One trick pony. " To me, I have always thought that a former back turns out to be a better coach. Sure their are exceptions but generally I think that rule applies. I have no hard data for it, and have just based it on what i thought. Statistics might show up differently.

Gould is the one forward who you could claim was a success, I am struggling to find others, yet the NRL Coaches and ex Coaches is full of former backs. Anybody care to add to this to see if I am right or is it rubbish.

Pete.
Jack Gibson?

Status
Not open for further replies.