Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Post Scott. Who is the next forward leader?

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Who is the cowboys next forward leader?

With Matt Scott retiring it would be great to have a prop of his ability progressing through the ranks. Who has the most potential of these four? Bayliss-Brow, Hola, Gilbert, Pere. I like what I saw of Jensen. But that was a while back.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I’d say Gilbert has the most potential, then Hola. Pere is massive but needs some more time. He’s improving though. Bayliss-Brow is a big lad too but he’s still raw. He’s been moved back to U20s for most of this season.

Garrett Smith and Wiremu Greig are the two best props in the Colts competition. Both have played a bit of ISC so far this year.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Gilbert is the one.

Hopefully get gets his debut this year. Looks like he could be ready to play off the bench regularly next year with a good off season.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
People have been talking about the coaching staff needing to make tough calls. Do Scott (and others) need to sit out the rest of the reason to develop some of the above mentioned young front rowers?

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Shouldn't McLean already be our forward leader considering he's our vice captain and all?

Of those 4, definitely Gilbert. Very excited with what I've seen from him so far. If a couple of the other fossils decide to retire there will most certainly be a bench spot available for him. Hola has a bit of a Taumalolo look about him so I'd like to see how he develops as well.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Forward leader - McGuire for sure. McLean probably has good leadership inside the game and outside but in terms of 'actions, not words' it's Moose up and down. On the weekend I was thinking that McLean is another late-era Tamou without the offload but no mistakes.

Out of the young blokes coming through Gilbert is your man. Hola needs more time to go through the ranks, he's still filling out his frame and will be damaging when he comes of age. Pere needs to realise how immense he actually is. The dude is bigger than Nelson Asofa-Solomona and younger - Once he gets that in his head, like Jase eventually did, he will be human battering ram.

LBB is fringe atm, I've seen him play a few times and while head and shoulders above the rest, he still needs time to develop.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
People have been talking about the coaching staff needing to make tough calls. Do Scott (and others) need to sit out the rest of the reason to develop some of the above mentioned young front rowers?
That would be a tough call. I can't see that happening whilst we have the slightest whiff of a top 8 place. Coach Green hasn't shown any inkling to try something different.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Is forward leader an actual capital letter position? Do they have to make any decisions or any other official in-game act?* If not, don't have one; a leader will emerge, maybe more than one, depending on the situation.

I'm dead against making someone leader in order to "bring them on". Often it's the shy kid who doesn't want to do it anyway. His game suffers from the distraction and anxiety, the team has no forward leader and the person who should be forward leader seethes in the corner. Leaders are born. A leader not born to it, will become an administrator, sometime an extremely effective one, they have their place and value, too.

*E.g., in Union they do the scrum and lineout calls, make onfield decisions regarding the forwards, etc.

Last edited:

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I can only assume JT didn't want the leadership. He is someone to look up to, not just for his ridiculous meterage but the fact he wants to get involved all the time. Last night he pulled off some pretty good cover tackles.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
We lose next week against Tigers or Broncos or whoever it is we're playing, Tom Gilbert and Peter Hola need to be blooded for the final games of the season for sure.