Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Woolf or Demetriou IMO.

Walker Bros would be fun but I don't know how good their results would be
I like all these options. Walker Bros are interesting. We wouldn't need player X factor, we'd have coach X factor.

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Their has been alot of rumours going around at start of yr regarding green. Where their is smoke their is fire. Also with some of the selections he has been making are all on favourites not on form. That's a telling sign for me. Get rid of him and sign woolfe.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Who would you guys like to replace him? This is gonna sound odd but I'd try get Neil Henry again. He coached the Titans to the finals despite having no big names. Only reason why isn't there anymore is because of Hayne.

Another would be those Walker Brothers, we'd probably still suck but games would be entertaining again.
Are you kidding. Our best player - Taumalolo - does not get on with Henry. People have the shortest memories, I swear.

Steve Price is getting good results at Warrington. I’d give him a go. He is quite experienced now. Much more so than when he was at St George.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
We do not want the Walker Bros. Trust me on this.
No, you are probably right... Too risky. My natural affinity is to go for the underdog and I'd like to see them get a gig somewhere though. People dismiss them because they don't fit the mold.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if Green found success elsewhere either.

I don't think he's necessarily a bad coach, has just gotten stuck in his ways and needs a shake up.
The same thing happened to Maguire at Souths. Now both he and Souths are showing improvement in new environments.

Demetriou is the man I feel, I hope they can get him and let him do what he wants with the football department.

I'm fearful they'll sign the wrong person just for the sake of a change and then we'll be back in the same or worse position in a couple of years. They have to get it right.

If we can't get Demetriou or someone as equally impressive in the short term I'd rather they keep Green and try to clear out the squad more and run a fine tooth comb over every element of the club and look for ways to improve, with one eye on trying to lure a good replacement coach.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The same thing happened to Maguire at Souths. Now both he and Souths are showing improvement in new environments.

Demetriou is the man I feel, I hope they can get him and let him do what he wants with the football department.

I'm fearful they'll sign the wrong person just for the sake of a change and then we'll be back in the same or worse position in a couple of years. They have to get it right.

If we can't get Demetriou or someone as equally impressive in the short term I'd rather they keep Green and try to clear out the squad more and run a fine tooth comb over every element of the club and look for ways to improve, with one eye on trying to lure a good replacement coach.
Someone who values that backs are more than just battering rams would be a good start.

I hope we sack him now so we have time to find a new coach who can start the pre-season with a clean slate. This can’t be allowed to drag into next season.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I said early in the year that Paul Green would prosper elsewhere.

Wanting to move on from him as coach is not a personal slight against him. He has been great for the club and has an honoured place in it's history.

But he himself looks personally unhappy. Like in dire need of a change of circumstances to freshen up in life. I mean, look at some of the challenges he has faced since about late 2016, with injuries and squad management. At times, I think pure coaching has probably taken a back seat to emergency management.

It is a situation where both parties would benefit. This is not unheard of in professional life..

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the sack Green camp. But, if the Club was to look at other coach's I would approach Robinson.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
JD has my vote.

Woolfy is a great bloke, but failed to get the results with arguably the best roster in ISC. Not sure if he has the runs on the board to get an NRL gig.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Someone who values that backs are more than just battering rams would be a good start.

I hope we sack him now so we have time to find a new coach who can start the pre-season with a clean slate. This can’t be allowed to drag into next season.
I would be okay with it if they sack him now/soon and plug a short term caretaker in who can instill a sense of identity - Payney or Hannay come to mind. Someone who knows what the club is about and someone the boys will play for.

I don't care about results now but we need to see some backbone.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Demetriou's resume per Wikipedia is interesting reading:

Demetriou returned to Australia in 2013, becoming the head coach for the Northern Pride in the Queensland Cup. During his two seasons at the Pride, the club won back-to-back minor premierships, the 2014 Queensland Cup Grand Final and the inaugural NRL State Championship game. In 2014, he coached the Queensland Residents side, who defeated the NSW Cup rep side 24–16.

In October 2014, Demetriou joined the North Queensland Cowboys as an assistant coach.[6] On 4 October 2015, Demetriou was a member of the Cowboys' coaching staff in the side's 17–16 Grand Final victory over the Brisbane Broncos.

In January 2016, Demetriou joined the St George Illawarra Dragons as an assistant coach and as head coach to their NSW Cup feeder team, the Illawarra Cutters.[7] In September 2016, he was named coach of the 2016 Intrust Super Premiership NSW Team of the Year.[8]

In 2017, Demetriou joined the Brisbane Broncos under head coach Wayne Bennett.[9] He took over as the side's attacking coach in Round 6 of the 2018 NRL season, with the side scoring the second most tries in the competition from that point forward.[10]

In December 2018, he joined the South Sydney Rabbitohs as an assistant coach, following Bennett to the club.[11]
Can't deny that's an impressive record, must be due an NRL shot

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What's Bill Johnstone up to these days. Some of our guys need a good flogging.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Think outside the box......
Would Billy slater like a chief coaching job, with JT as assistant.
Get rid of hannay, he's a slug

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Think outside the box......
Would Billy slater like a chief coaching job, with JT as assistant.
Get rid of hannay, he's a slug

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Billy got asked half jokingly a little while back and he said no way. Happy to help backs etc for Storm, but that's it. He is very astute when it comes to the game though.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Cowboys coach Paul Green believes pressure to be expected, but is not giving up
AUGUST 02, 2019

HE IS a coach under fire, but Cowboys mentor Paul Green said the flak is to be expected after another tough season for the club.

The Cowboys slumped to their third consecutive loss, and 12th for the season, at Leichhardt Oval last night in what was a horror show for the club.

The loss has effectively ended the Cowboys’ finals hopes, and after missing out on September football last season, the pressure has begun to mount on the coach.

Former Blues coach Laurie Daley publicly backed calls that a change needed to be made at the Cowboys, but Green believes he still has the faith of the club’s hierarchy.

“It is two disappointing seasons in a row so obviously questions are going to get asked,” he said.

“There has been circumstances around that, it has been a fairly disrupted year for a number of different reasons but that is no excuse going into last night’s game in particular.

“I thought we had been competing pretty well up until that, we just lacked a bit of polish in a few positions. We felt last night was a good chance to knock up a win, so it was disappointing the way it panned out.

“It is a part of the job, it comes with the job, particularly when you are losing games.”

The Cowboys have struggled from the pre-season after losing marquee signing Ben Barba due to off-field indiscretions.

He was not the only player to part ways with the club through the season with Nene Macdonald and the club coming to a mutual agreement to terminate his contract in June.

The club has also struggled with injuries and consistency in their ranks with at least eight different players moving in and out of the Cowboys spine throughout the season. Long term injuries to Te Maire Martin, Ben Hampton and Justin O’Neill have also hurt the club.

But Green said it was no excuse for the club to be in the position it is in.

“It is not just injuries, we have had a couple of other things not go right and it just disrupts your season,” he said.

“Just not having that consistency with the team week in and week out, particularly in key positions.

“That is playing in the NRL, it is not an excuse, we are disappointed and accountable for the way we have played and we want to fix it.”

Green has been the Cowboys’ most successful coach in the club’s history winning 82 of his 152 games at the helm, including taking the club to its maiden premiership in 2015.

He signed a three-year contract extension with the club prior to the season, and former Queensland great Billy Moore believes that will be what keeps the club from dropping the axe.

“There will be pressure for sure, but he only just signed an extension. He has got time on his side with that contract he will be fine for next year,” Moore said.

“But if they are in the same predicament this time next year, then that will be curtains for him.”

Moore, who holds a soft spot for the Cowboys as his ‘second’ club, said it was baffling how the club was in this position with the forward pack they have.

“You can’t have (Jason) Taumalolo, (Josh) McGuire and (Jordan) McLean rolling you down the field and still be in the position they are in. It is bullshit,” he said.

“They go down the middle as good as anybody, but when they get to the other end they just can’t score any tries.

“I think there is going to have to be some changes in the squad, and that is what the next five weeks is for. That is their season done now.”