Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

Rumbo

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Greeny contracted till 2021 hopefully we got some clauses in there

13th last season looking like similar this season as well

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Two straight years of complete rubbish now.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The shit results this year are one thing, but what bothers me is we haven't set ourselves up for success next year either. Look at the Broncos, they have had rubbish results too but they got a ton of young forwards to get a full season under their belts, they have unearthed or brought along Flegler, Turpin, Fifita, Pangai, Haas and Staggs who they can carry forward as good first graders over the next couple seasons. They have also tested and tinkered with guys like Dearden, Farnsworth, Coates. That's just off the top of my head.

Opa and Wright have come on well and we bought Drinky, other than that what have we done through the course of this season to set ourselves up for the future? Give Taulagi a handful of games at the end of the year? Get Cotter in for 2 games then drop him like a hot spud despite our first choice 9 playing like a busted arse? Pick, drop, pick Cliffo all year, undermining his confidence all the way?

Broom needs to be put through the place and we need some fresh perspectives. It's not working anymore

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Three years ago we'd just won the premiership. We thought we had this brilliant long term head coach. Our U20s were killing it, a dominant side between 2015-17 with so much talent. What a great future.

Now we're headed for a second consecutive bottom four finish and our attack has regressed every year since 2014.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I remember thinking we were going to become one of the powerhouses of the competition much like the Storm or Roosters such was the cultural change of the club. It's quite unbelievable how quickly the club has regressed in practically every facet.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s pretty grim. Not to mention the boring, negative style under Green.

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I've constantly been 'no, look at the injuries and guys playing out of position - we just need to find our feet' after last night, that was Grade A shit coaching. Then the mistake in the Manly game where we used our last interchange like 30 min from the end of the game, leaving us with 12 players, jesus.

I worry for our juniors, Greeny seems to have a hate on for developing players. Drinkwater must be thinking "what the f*** have I gotten myself into here". Tbh, I've never been more disappointed in my club.

I remember the wooden spoon days but there was a sense we were still building our club up, trying to find our feet and our identity. We won a prem and were a top 4 side for a year. 2017 showed us lucky shit can happen but it wasn't for the Dragons we wouldn't have even made finals.

So basically that's three straight years of not making the finals, two of which we didn't even look like we'd come close. Expectations shift when you achieve success and that's why it's so hard to stomach now.

I'm sorry, but the club needs new ideas, new structures and new leadership - I'm on the Greeny Out wagon now.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I remember thinking we were going to become one of the powerhouses of the competition much like the Storm or Roosters such was the cultural change of the club. It's quite unbelievable how quickly the club has regressed in practically every facet.
The club, commentators etc all said we would become a powerhouse. That's what makes it even harder to swallow. Hope is one thing, expectation is another.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The shit results this year are one thing, but what bothers me is we haven't set ourselves up for success next year either. Look at the Broncos, they have had rubbish results too but they got a ton of young forwards to get a full season under their belts, they have unearthed or brought along Flegler, Turpin, Fifita, Pangai, Haas and Staggs who they can carry forward as good first graders over the next couple seasons. They have also tested and tinkered with guys like Dearden, Farnsworth, Coates. That's just off the top of my head.

Opa and Wright have come on well and we bought Drinky, other than that what have we done through the course of this season to set ourselves up for the future? Give Taulagi a handful of games at the end of the year? Get Cotter in for 2 games then drop him like a hot spud despite our first choice 9 playing like a busted arse? Pick, drop, pick Cliffo all year, undermining his confidence all the way?

Broom needs to be put through the place and we need some fresh perspectives. It's not working anymore
Nailed it.

After last night I was pretty sure that Green had five weeks to prove he shouldn't be booted. After his press conference I was thinking he needs to go today. He had his MASSIVE contract renewal and a rumoured blow up with players at the beginning of last season. Since that time, there have been very few players who have achieved their potential, let alone exceeded it. Compare that to the shambles at Manly this season, where they were wooden spoon contenders with a terrible roster. Des has them playing at the peak of their potential and challenging the top four sides.

I hate the idea of rebuilding, but how else can we get rid of whatever is causing this abysmal lack of effort, pride and mongrel. Players, coaches and administration need to either fix this clearly busted culture or f%#k off. How big are Lawrence and Jeff's balls?

Reactions: BDR

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Our completion rate killed us. We had one more error than the tigs, but we just did dumb shit all night.

We never clicked, didn't play as a team, didn't trust the bloke next to us and we paid the price. We put our bat and ball away when we didn't get the try in the first half and that was it.

There's no confidence or drive to be there atm and it's bullshit hard to watch. At least when the Knights were going through their trouble A) They had an excuse and B) The lads tried their guts out every week.

We have zero excuses and it starts from the top. You can't have your coach come out every week and bag the refs, it's a f***ing cop out and everyone knows it.

Tunza

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Hold on to your arseholes, but this is looking like arguably the worst season in Cows NRL history:

* second worst attacking season in Cows NRL history: only season with less games of 21+ points was 1998.
* THE ONLY season in Cows NRL history without a 30+ point game.
* points defence has worsened every season since 2016

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Compare that to the shambles at Manly this season, where they were wooden spoon contenders with a terrible roster. Des has them playing at the peak of their potential and challenging the top four sides.
?
So Marty, what you're saying is we have to go back to the future.
Anybody got Neil Henry's number

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Well, when you look at history, and the way we sacked Neil Henry, surely Green has to be under immense pressure. Henry had us in the finals at least the 2 seasons prior to getting sacked and scraped into the finals the year he was sacked.

Compared to now scraping into the finals in 2017, then missing them completely for 2 seasons running. Henry’s record doesn’t seem so bad...

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I keep expecting to hear the media talking or speculating about unrest, players/fans/board unhappy or pressure to perform, but so far nothing.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/laurie-daley-backs-calls-for-cowboys-and-paul-green-to-go-their-separate-ways/news-story/e0adde713b583ac4dff7343e625c8925

Laurie Daley backs calls for Cowboys and Paul Green to go their separate ways
Laurie Daley has backed calls from Andrew Webster that the time might be right for Paul Green and the Cowboys to go in different directions.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSAUGUST 2, 201912:26PM

Paul Green and the Cowboys need a change, according to Laurie Daley and Andrew Webster.Source:News Corp Australia

Laurie Daley has backed calls for the Cowboys and Paul Green to potentially go their separate ways, amid their poor form over the last two seasons.

Andrew Webster believes Paul Green is showing signs he needs a new challenge and a change of coach at the Cowboys might be in the best interests of both parties.

“You talk to other coaches around the game and Paul Green to me looks like Michael Maguire did in his last couple of seasons at Souths,” Andrew Webster told The Big Sports Breakfast.

NRL: Jason Taumalolo is doing too much work and the Cowboys other squad members need to up their game to help him. Gorde...
“It just seems like he needs a change.

“I honestly thought he would be a better fit for the Gold Coast Titans than Justin Holbrook.”

There were reports earlier in the season of unrest between Green and the playing group and Webster believes the time might be right to bring in a new coach.

“There were a few rumblings earlier in the year about just how well Paul Green was getting on with the player group,” Webster said.

“They had a few of their senior players come out and pour cold water on that, but it has been a pretty disappointing year.

“When you look at that team it should be going much better than it has so far this season.”

North Queensland currently sit 13th with just seven wins from 20 Rounds in 2019.

The Former Blues Origin coach Laurie Daley was in agreement that the Cowboys couldn’t keep doing the same things and expect a different result.

“I think you are right it just looks as though something is not right up there at the Cowboys,” Daley said.

“Whether it is the players not getting along with the coach or his ideas have gone a little bit stale and they are just not responding.

“But they need a sharpen up somewhere and I don’t know where that is going to come from.”

“They need a change,” Webster countered. “Change is good.”

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if Green found success elsewhere either.

I don't think he's necessarily a bad coach, has just gotten stuck in his ways and needs a shake up.

samuraipolice

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Who would you guys like to replace him? This is gonna sound odd but I'd try get Neil Henry again. He coached the Titans to the finals despite having no big names. Only reason why isn't there anymore is because of Hayne.

Another would be those Walker Brothers, we'd probably still suck but games would be entertaining again.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Woolf or Demetriou IMO.

Walker Bros would be fun but I don't know how good their results would be

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'd be happy to see Jason Demetriou get a shot. He's won at every level he's coached plus was at the club in 2015.