Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Surely you have to concede it was a hell of a lot of luck that got us to the finals that year. 2017 reminded me of the 2009 Eels finals run.
2017 was an unusual season for us. So was 2007.

In 2007 I think we finished third on the table with a negative (-71) points differential. Every other team in the eight had a positive points differential. I knew we wouldn't make the grand final with that form though. As can be expected, both the teams the finished one and two (Melbourne and Manly) were in the grand final.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
So blaming a 20 year old playing out of position makes you a good coach?

"Bridge too far...... Not up to it...... Thought he could handle it.........My fault for thinking that he wouldn't cost us the game........."

That is how I interpret the article and I'm sorry mate but that isn't owning up to a loss....... That is classic "throwing a guy under the bus"

Owning up to a loss would be more like

" I made a few coaching decisions that put unwanted pressure on the team. We will work hard on fixing this before the next game."

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

"Bridge too far...... Not up to it...... Thought he could handle it.........My fault for thinking that he wouldn't cost us the game........."

That is how I interpret the article and I'm sorry mate but that isn't owning up to a loss....... That is classic "throwing a guy under the bus"

Owning up to a loss would be more like

" I made a few coaching decisions that put unwanted pressure on the team. We will work hard on fixing this before the next game."

You need to read it again. He clearly said it was his mistake twice and not the players.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
He did criticize the player but fed it to him in a complimentary sandwich, to keep his confidence up. He also sneakily shifted a lot of the responsibility onto himself so the team can quickly re-focus and get confidence back for next week.

In a nutshell, I interpret it as 'hey, I made a tactical error and it backfired, that's why you lost. You are still a good team and a good player.'

Yeah, I think that is a good coach.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Coach Nathan Brown admitted to making mistakes.

I haven’t liked CG since we won the grand final-changed him, for the worse.
Well maybe these bad years will humble him, make him a better Coach.

Can’t see him changing-writings been on the wall for years, nothing changed.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
It’s inevitable Green will get sacked within 6 months. Just wish we would make the change now instead of mid season like is going to happen.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You need to read it again. He clearly said it was his mistake twice and not the players.
My point was. Why mention names in public at all........

I'm no Green fanboy but Bennett isn't the example you should be using. Bennett is about Bennett first.

If you want to compare him to a great coach....... Use Robbo.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
It’s inevitable Green will get sacked within 6 months. Just wish we would make the change now instead of mid season like is going to happen.
Have you considered the issue of money?

Are you suggesting we can pay out Paul Green's contract and pay another head coach?

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
My point was. Why mention names in public at all........

I'm no Green fanboy but Bennett isn't the example you should be using. Bennett is about Bennett first.

If you want to compare him to a great coach....... Use Robbo.

I get what you are saying. I dunno, I only read the text version and what someone told me on Saturday. I didn't see a live interview and whether it was Wayne or the media that brought up that side of the field which had a lot of issues that night.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Have you considered the issue of money?

Are you suggesting we can pay out Paul Green's contract and pay another head coach?
I think it’s inevitable that that is what will happen. Green would get a head coaching gig for 2021 anyway which means we could probably negotiate a pay out for the rest of 2020 only.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think it’s inevitable that that is what will happen. Green would get a head coaching gig for 2021 anyway which means we could probably negotiate a pay out for the rest of 2020 only.
He’s sued us once before and he’d do it again IMO. Unless there’s performance clauses in our favour that means the seperation is clean.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Just rebooting this thread in case we need easy access to it after Friday night.

In any event I don’t want to hear any ‘not far offs’ from Paul Green this year. It’s a put up or shut up year.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I am prepared to go against this thread (and sacking Green) for now. No, it wasn't my time out of the forum that made me become a fence sitter and more diplomatic. It's the optimism of a new season. The fact there are financial implications involved. The fact we appear to have improved in some areas (starting with Val Holmes) and I want to see if this translates into form, and even Coach Green getting his mojo back.

All my past criticisms of Coach Green aside, I don't want to be death riding him either. I am a Cowboys fan and want my team to win. I hate losing so much, and even living all the way down in Canberra, my Cowboys are my connection to home.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Picking Asiata, Hampton, Cooper, Granville and O'Neil to start, when there are clearly better options is a clear indicator that Green thinks he's been right all along.
He'll sign his own death warrant because he's obstinate to the point of bloody-mindedness. He is incapable of change. He has made zero adjustments in his selection and that will mean zero adjustments in gameplay. He just thinks he's right and will cut off his own head rather than "pander to those silly geese".
Way to christen the new stadium. Sod the turf (pun intended), just relocate Dairy Farmers in its entirety because that's all we're getting. Same old shit. Sack him. Now.

Edited to protect the kiddiwinks from adult conversation. (Which is what the auto-bleeper did. Not good enough?)

Last edited:

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Picking Asiata, Hampton, Cooper, Granville and O'Neil to start, when there are clearly better options is a clear indicator that Green thinks he's been right all along.
He'll sign his own death warrant because he's obstinate to the point of bloody-mindedness. He is incapable of change. He has made zero adjustments in his selection and that will mean zero adjustments in gameplay. He just thinks he's right and will cut off his own head rather than "pander to those silly geese".
Way to christen the new stadium. Sod the turf (pun intended), just relocate Dairy Farmers in its entirety because that's all we're getting. Same old shit. Sack him. Now.

Edited to protect the kiddiwinks from adult conversation. (Which is what the auto-bleeper did. Not good enough?)
Swearing is OK, calling someone at the club a f***head is where the line was crossed. They read this forum and we want to avoid pissing them off too much.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

You need to calm down, you’ll make yourself sick.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

O'Neil was alright last year (and I've been a past critic). But CG might have forgotten that the form he showed was on the wing.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Swearing is OK, calling someone at the club a f***head is where the line was crossed. They read this forum and we want to avoid pissing them off too much.
I understand.
"Oaf" or "buffoon" would have passed, though. So it's really a swearing thing.
And what if they are a fuckhead? :)

Revivous

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Green will have his reasons - none of us are at the cold-face. Molo is a fantastic impact player and when he comes on, he'll be going up against guys who are green as.

Greens got my vote at the moment, but the Hampton call has me scratching a bit.