Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
Surely you have to concede it was a hell of a lot of luck that got us to the finals that year. 2017 reminded me of the 2009 Eels finals run.
2017 was an unusual season for us. So was 2007.

In 2007 I think we finished third on the table with a negative (-71) points differential. Every other team in the eight had a positive points differential. I knew we wouldn't make the grand final with that form though. As can be expected, both the teams the finished one and two (Melbourne and Manly) were in the grand final.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
So blaming a 20 year old playing out of position makes you a good coach?

"Bridge too far...... Not up to it...... Thought he could handle it.........My fault for thinking that he wouldn't cost us the game........."

That is how I interpret the article and I'm sorry mate but that isn't owning up to a loss....... That is classic "throwing a guy under the bus"

Owning up to a loss would be more like

" I made a few coaching decisions that put unwanted pressure on the team. We will work hard on fixing this before the next game."

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

"Bridge too far...... Not up to it...... Thought he could handle it.........My fault for thinking that he wouldn't cost us the game........."

That is how I interpret the article and I'm sorry mate but that isn't owning up to a loss....... That is classic "throwing a guy under the bus"

Owning up to a loss would be more like

" I made a few coaching decisions that put unwanted pressure on the team. We will work hard on fixing this before the next game."

You need to read it again. He clearly said it was his mistake twice and not the players.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
He did criticize the player but fed it to him in a complimentary sandwich, to keep his confidence up. He also sneakily shifted a lot of the responsibility onto himself so the team can quickly re-focus and get confidence back for next week.

In a nutshell, I interpret it as 'hey, I made a tactical error and it backfired, that's why you lost. You are still a good team and a good player.'

Yeah, I think that is a good coach.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Coach Nathan Brown admitted to making mistakes.

I haven’t liked CG since we won the grand final-changed him, for the worse.
Well maybe these bad years will humble him, make him a better Coach.

Can’t see him changing-writings been on the wall for years, nothing changed.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
It’s inevitable Green will get sacked within 6 months. Just wish we would make the change now instead of mid season like is going to happen.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You need to read it again. He clearly said it was his mistake twice and not the players.
My point was. Why mention names in public at all........

I'm no Green fanboy but Bennett isn't the example you should be using. Bennett is about Bennett first.

If you want to compare him to a great coach....... Use Robbo.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
It’s inevitable Green will get sacked within 6 months. Just wish we would make the change now instead of mid season like is going to happen.
Have you considered the issue of money?

Are you suggesting we can pay out Paul Green's contract and pay another head coach?

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
My point was. Why mention names in public at all........

I'm no Green fanboy but Bennett isn't the example you should be using. Bennett is about Bennett first.

If you want to compare him to a great coach....... Use Robbo.

I get what you are saying. I dunno, I only read the text version and what someone told me on Saturday. I didn't see a live interview and whether it was Wayne or the media that brought up that side of the field which had a lot of issues that night.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Have you considered the issue of money?

Are you suggesting we can pay out Paul Green's contract and pay another head coach?
I think it’s inevitable that that is what will happen. Green would get a head coaching gig for 2021 anyway which means we could probably negotiate a pay out for the rest of 2020 only.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I think it’s inevitable that that is what will happen. Green would get a head coaching gig for 2021 anyway which means we could probably negotiate a pay out for the rest of 2020 only.
He’s sued us once before and he’d do it again IMO. Unless there’s performance clauses in our favour that means the seperation is clean.