Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
You can not have 1 rule for the coach and another for the players.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Lancini wasn't the one who had to go, he's an absolute champ. I have serious doubts about Parrs actions in all of this and how long we keep him around for.

There's something not right at the heart of our club and I can see it's slipping further if its not sorted out.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
We scored 30+ points only three times last season (in the last four weeks of the year!).
We scored 30+ points ZERO times this season.
We scored 25+ points TWICE this season - 28-14 vs Titans and 26-27 in extra time vs Tigers

I think I can see where we might be able to improve just a fraction.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
The first thing you have to do to fix a problem is to recognise that there is a problem. In any organization the person who recognises that there is a problem has to have some authority or influence to be able to achieve and motivate others to bring about that change.

In any race, always back Self Interest.

Lancini has nothing to prove to anyone. He is Mr North Queensland It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Green is only Coach of the Cowboys.

I know who I will back.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I know it’s been a long horrible season but gee you guys can read something out of nothing. What has been said is entirely appropriate, imo

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Green: Cowboys ‘have to take their lessons’ as review looms
Matthew Elkerton and Daniel McKenzie, Townsville Bulletin
September 8, 2019 6:43pm

North Queensland coach Paul Green has vowed there would be a thorough review after a disappointing season saw the Cowboys slump to 14th on the ladder.

While the Cowboys showed improvement over the final three rounds, they struggled for consistent results, with injuries and off-field indiscretions costing the club key personnel during the year.

Green said while the Cowboys finished on a “positive” note, he and his staff wouldn’t hide from the season as a whole before heading into the off-season break.

“We finish on more of a positive note than what has happened through the year. It is no coincidence we had the same starting side for those three weeks, which wasn’t the case for a while this year. Those combinations are important,” Green said.

“We have to take our lessons out of this year. You have got to win those close games, which we didn’t manage to do, particularly in the middle part of the year.

“If we win that Broncos game, our finals are still on the line heading to Newcastle. They are not excuses by any stretch, we just have to take those lessons. Use this as motivation for the off-season.

“We have some work to do as a staff to go through the season and see where we could have been better and where I could have been better. I need to go through that process before having some time off.”

Part of the positive for Green would be the fight the Cowboys showed in the final round against minor premiers and competition heavyweights the Storm last Friday night.

The Cowboys struggled to mount pressure against the Storm, but despite having the worst of the field position, possession and penalty count, they continued to throw everything they had at their opposition in the 24-16 loss.

Fullback recruit Scott Drinkwater showed plenty of promise against his former club, including setting up an unlikely try in the corner for Kyle Feldt, while Michael Morgan also threatened to break through on several occasions.

“We didn’t get too many chances, I thought if we could have just kept a bit of pressure on them. If you look at field position they had about 19 sets down on our line where we only had 12,” Green said.

“But I thought there was promising signs in the way we played some footy despite the pressure we were under. I thought that broke the game up for us, and we created some stuff there.

“We played some patches of really good footy. They are a quality side, albeit they weren’t at full strength, they still had a quality forward pack.”

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys/green-cowboys-have-to-take-their-lessons-as-review-looms/news-story/04218046c46b958ad0e409d0d9e762cf

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like excuses to me tbh. Nothing will come of it and we'll be in for the same shit show as the last two years, needing another 'review'.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
It reads to me like he accepts no responsibility for anything from the season, it's all we we we....no 'I made errors in team selection....... i have no fkn idea how to manage the interchange.....I dont have a different game plan.'
I fear that until he acknowledges some of his own shortcomings, like said before it'll just be same shit, different day next year.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There was a 'review' last year which accomplished squat. No reason to believe another one will solve all our problems.

aqua

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
A review will fix nothing. We need a clean out. Coaching staff , coach and a few dead wood players. We also need to look at our recruitment and retention absolute joke some of the selections made in the past that we are paying for now.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There was a 'review' last year which accomplished squat. No reason to believe another one will solve all our problems.
Yeah, we were suppose to play a more attacking style of footy. :banghead:

Reactions: BDR

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Green can’t reinvent himself. Too stubborn and egotistical. He and the club both need a fresh start.

We are crying out for a new coach with a fresh style.

It’s a sad and frustrating situation.

Last edited:

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
“Paul Green has vowed there would be a thorough review”

All this talk of reviews. Name me one club that isn’t sitting down at the end of their season and reviewing the entire performance? Hell, even the premiers would be nit picking any ways they could be better the next season.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Green’s had 6 seasons to turn us into the consistent year on year team that we all crave. The past two seasons show that he hasn’t been able to do it. Two seasons in a row of not even being in contention for the finals in the final round is so turgid.

We’ve turned into absolute garbage. Let’s face it, if Green had only one year left on his deal we would likely sack him right now.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Coach Green has to re invent himself, his brand of footy, re invent our attack-revolutionise, overhaul our D...or perish..