Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Just forget about Holmes. Stick with Drinkwater at the back and use the Holmes money to buy some decent outside backs. Please!

Drinkwater has looked incredibly self assured at the back for a guy who has played 9/10 NRL games total. Imagine how good he can be next year.

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Let’s just stick Morgan at FB.

Apart from that 5 week tear in 2017, he really hasn’t delivered playing in the halves.

I think we looked better in the 15mins Drinky moved into halves. Let’s make it permanent, with Clifford at 7.

I fear that running around with Morgo in the halves will see us in the exact same spot this time next year.

Just my opinion.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Morgo’s had a lot of brain explosions in the kicking department this year, maybe shoving back to fullback might prevent him kicking it on the 2nd tackle in great field position.....

Blow by Blow

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Morgo’s had a lot of brain explosions in the kicking department this year, maybe shoving back to fullback might prevent him kicking it on the 2nd tackle in great field position.....
To be fair to him we never look like scoring so if you see half a chance may as well roll the dice. He is still a great player if we can find form as a team. He is captain but like any half it is hard to play well when the rest of the team is terrible.

jhack13

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Morgo was doing well before Origin. 18 try assists, 4 40/20 kicks. Nothing since that concussion, hasn’t had a single try involvement...

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Morgo was doing well before Origin. 18 try assists, 4 40/20 kicks. Nothing since that concussion, hasn’t had a single try involvement...
Totally forgot about the concussion. Maybe he is still concussed (Jks).

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
To be fair to him we never look like scoring so if you see half a chance may as well roll the dice.
Exactly. There's no point grinding through a predictable set before a last tackle kick when you can take an unexpected shot on an early tackle. It's worked a couple of times this season, just not the last couple of weeks. He's also had to kick low for the last couple of weeks in matches with high winds. Not sure if fans are aware of the difficulty kicking into a strong breeze, or even aware of the weather sitting at home in our comfy lounge rooms.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Exactly. There's no point grinding through a predictable set before a last tackle kick when you can take an unexpected shot on an early tackle. It's worked a couple of times this season, just not the last couple of weeks. He's also had to kick low for the last couple of weeks in matches with high winds. Not sure if fans are aware of the difficulty kicking into a strong breeze, or even aware of the weather sitting at home in our comfy lounge rooms.
Yeah, never been outside before, what’s this wind thing you talk about?

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Again, all the issue around halves are that they are playing behind a pack of forwards that is getting obliterated week in and week out.

In defence, they allow the ballrunner to cruise through the advantage line, often getting upwards of ten post contact metres. In attack, they get bent backwards, physically dominated and then slowed to a crawl in playing the ball. They are tired, poor and starving.

Even Taumalolo has been well below his best since returning from injury. It is clear teams work hard on limiting his impact. There has been a clear strategy employed to slow down his work. Multiple tacklers can be used to good effect on Taumalolo. So simply throwing him the ball is not effective at all.

My theory has been that forwards like Maclean have been hiding behind JT, shirking the tough work. When JT doesn't fire they are all pretty exposed.

This is not a very conducive situation for creative work of a halves pairing. The defences they face are fresh and able to move up quickly, and create enormous pressure, either on an attacking play or end of set kick. So of course Morgan has looked pretty lacklustre. When combined with being shuffled through multiple positions through club and rep footy, often three positions within the space of a week., I am not surprised he has looked out of sorts.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Clear drop off from Morgan since Origin and the concussions. Was third in the comp for assists after round 15 and has dropped to equal 12th after round 23. Has only one assist since he formally moved to five-eighth, which might be partially attributable to Clifford's and Drinkwater's increased involvement rather than the number on his back:

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I think you can be out of the game for so long, you lose touch with it. I used to breathe Rugby Union; but nowadays, I certainly couldn't coach it, it's an entirely different game.
Give me a young coach, fresh out of the game and full of ideas on how to exploit the game as it is now.

Last edited:

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Excuses, excuses, excuses. If any journo bothered to scratch the surface of this puff piece, they would know we were pretty sh#t prior to Morgans concussion and O'Neil and TMM being injured. Greenies 'best team' isn't that good. #Looktothefuture

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/07/greens-2020-vision-new-faces-and-a-change-of-fortune/

Also just watched his post match interview.. pretty much the same story. Never once mentions potential in young development players. Always looking elsewhere for talent. #Looktothefuture

2020 looks like a year to have a second favourite team.

Last edited:

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Green just full of excuses these days. It’s pathetic.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
To be fair to Greeny, he did show some interest in Molo, Gilbert and Hola. Shame he couldn't identify a centre on a team sheet if his life depended on it.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Can someone post the latest story on the Courier Mail about Lancini telling Green to change his ways..? It's behind a paywall.

Edit: here it is

Outgoing Cowboys Laurence Lancini says Paul Green needs to change his ways
Peter Badel, Exclusive, The Courier-Mail
September 7, 2019 5:20pm

Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini says Paul Green is not under pressure to save his job but insists the embattled coach must change his ways to revive North Queensland as a premiership force.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Lancini has met with Green for a heart-to-heart where the Cowboys coach has been urged to soften his competitive hard edge to restore North Queensland as a finals contender in 2020.

The curtain fell on the Cowboys’ 2019 campaign on Friday night with a 24-16 loss to Melbourne that consigned the club to a bottom-five finish for the second consecutive season.

Stream every match of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >

The latest capitulation has turned up the heat on Green, who has won just 17 of 48 matches for a 35 per cent success rate in the past two seasons since he steered the Cowboys to a fairytale grand-final appearance against the Storm in 2017.

Green is contracted to the Cowboys until the end of 2021 and there are fears a third consecutive finals blowout next season could have dire ramifications for the coach who delivered the club’s maiden premiership in 2015.

Lancini is adamant Green is not in danger of being sacked, but concedes the club’s only title-winning coach but make modifications to his style to reignite the Cowboys in the post-Johnathan Thurston era.

“There is no talk of sacking ‘Greeny’,” said Lancini, who will stand down as chairman next March when the new $250 million North Queensland Stadium is officially opened.

“I totally support the guy – 100 per cent. He is the best coach for our club, I have no doubt about that. He will stay as our coach.

“You don’t toss people in the rubbish heap because they have made a few mistakes. You help improve them and we will help improve Greeny.

“I’ve spoken to Paul about it and I believe he can fix things and rebuild the club, that’s my honest opinion.”

Green enters his seventh season next year in charge of the Cowboys. Green, who turns 47 this Thursday, has enjoyed career-defining success at the Cowboys, coaching the club to the holy grail and breaking North Queensland’s 20-year title drought.

Green was also the man who revived Jason Taumalolo, helping him win the 2016 Dally M Medal, three years after the Cowboys wrecking ball requested a release under former coach Neil Henry.

But this season, cracks have appeared. There are fears Green has had strained relationships with players and alarm bells rang when Fox Sports dressing-room footage captured him giving Coen Hess a savage half-time spray against the Wests Tigers in Round 14.

Last month, there were revelations of a pub argument between Green and his skipper Michael Morgan, one of the most genial players in the NRL.

Lancini believes Green is not facing a dressing-room revolt and says the Cowboys can hit back as a top-eight contender if the coach makes some personal adjustments.

“Paul is just so competitive and he just has to tone back his mannerisms a bit and allow himself to be more vulnerable and show more empathy. I think he can do that,” Lancini said.

“When things aren’t going right, Paul cares so much he wants to drive the bus himself if you know what I am saying.

“He understands where things have gone wrong and he is too smart not to turn things around. He is a very intelligent guy and because of that, he has the ability to learn and evolve.

“Man management is everything in NRL coaching. Paul knows how I feel and I have a lot of faith in him. Greeny took us to two grand finals in three years and he won the club its first premiership. How many other coaches have done that outside of Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett?

“I have been in business for 38 years and I reckon I’ve had to reinvent myself 20 times. That is part of life and maturity and business. You have to reinvent yourself in business and it’s the same in sport.

“The crop of young fellas in the NRL today have different personalities to the previous generation. The rugby league player 30 years ago is very differently to the NRL player today, you have to manage them and communicate a certain way.”

The Cowboys have been accused of allowing their roster to go stale but Lancini is confident the club’s next batch of young guns will fire in 2020.

“We have such a good young crop of kids coming through, we will not be outside the finals for too long,” he said.

“On paper we have a strong roster, we have Michael Morgan and some great young talents coming through in Peter Hola, Jake Clifford, Scott Drinkwater and Shane Wright.

“They are quality young men.”

Last edited:

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Translation: Green is unlikeable but will change. No he won't. Unlikeable is fine while you have respect and results. Green no longer has either and Lancini is saying, "Greeny needs to find some charisma." Not happening. You don't get charisma from a course.