Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Paul Green - OUT!

Should we head in a new direction by signing a new head coach?

• Total voters

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Enough is enough as far as I’m concerned. I thank Paul for what he has done for our club. He was at the helm for our first ever premiership, and for that I am forever grateful. However that being said, it is time for the club to look in a new direction.

Paul Green has shown for nearly 2 years now that he has an inability to identify deficiencies in our side and rectify them.

He has shown an inability to have a plan B when the opposition works out plan A.

His reluctance to play promising up and coming players in favour of under performing older players in the twilight of their career is not allowing our club to grow. The injection of youth to many sides in the competition has been a revelation for the sides who have shown belief in their kids, as hungry rookies looking to prove their worth step up to the plate and deliver.

His recruiting and retention has been an absolute joke. I’m under no illusion that he is not the only one responsible for this, but ultimately he must be held partly accountable.

The once famed ‘culture’ built under Green is clearly not there anymore, and it’s probably more to do with a certain future immortal no longer at our club that should probably be given more credit for creating and upholding the culture than what Green gets.

I understand letting him go at seasons end will he a bit of a financial burden to us given he is contracted until the end of the 2021 season. I think we can slightly offset paying him out by signing a rookie coach on the cheap looking for their first crack at coaching first grade. Preferably somebody that is familiar with the region, has a decent resume and is already familiar with a lot of the playing group. The man to replace Paul Green given the above, is IMO Kristian Woolf.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Wow - Dream is definitely going to shut this thread down - so not even going to bother commenting.

Reactions: CC

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Wow - Dream is definitely going to shut this thread down - so not even going to bother commenting.
Really? What rules is a topic of this nature breaking? Surely there’s nothing wrong with discussing this?

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Green will be given till at least the end of the season, if not longer IMO

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Green will be given till at least the end of the season, if not longer IMO
He will definitely see out the season. But what’s a pass mark for him from here until this season finishes?

There were no excuses for last year’s disaster, and it looks like we’re heading for more of the same this season. I can’t see him surviving.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Really? What rules is a topic of this nature breaking? Surely there’s nothing wrong with discussing this?
It's fine to be critical, I just ask people try to keep it constructive and not make it personal. This thread is fine so far.

It's a normal thing for fans to want major action to be taken when the team isn't performing.

It would be great if most of the posts about sacking Green were confined to the one thread.

On the topic, something needs to be done but I personally don't know what we should do. I have no confidence that we would hire the right person to replace Green. I don't want Walters anywhere near us.

Also, Green's role was diminished last year and Parr is taking a more hands on approach. He should not escape criticism either, as whatever he is doing to turn us around is obviously not working so far this season.

We have struggled performance and injury wise since Andrew Croll left too. I think a review of the whole football department needs to happen.

I'm not trying to excuse Green, I just think we need to get to the source of the problem and not blindly assign all the blame to one person when we don't really know who is responsible for what. No doubt Green has done some obviously perplexing things.

Last edited:

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Probably the thing that is totally perplexing me about Green right now is Matt Scott’s selection as a starting prop. He can’t hack it in defence for such long minutes (maybe at all) yet there is no recognition of that in the selection decisions at all.

Like Scott starting at prop IS hurting the team at the moment. Green needs to make a hard decision on Scott and risk damaging his relationship with him (because Scott is delusional and thinks he can still play Origin - so naturally telling him he is not cutting it on NRL is likely to cause Scott to resent him).

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Regardless of what happens, I'm not a big fan of the discussion that discredits any contribution Green made towards the 2017 GF run

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
On the topic, something needs to be done but I personally don't know what we should do. I have no confidence that we would hire the right person to replace Green. I don't want Walters anywhere near us.
No, Walters has demonstrated with the whole Billy Slater/Darius Boyd debacle last year that he cannot think for himself.

Bongohead667

First Grader
Reaction score
Morgan in peak career form + Origin level defense = 2017 finals run. We were average at best all year. Still don't know where the hell that finals form came from. Was a joy to watch. Shame it died just as quick as it appeared.

Walters is a fraud of a coach and i hope he is never anywhere near our team.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Regardless of what happens, I'm not a big fan of the discussion that discredits any contribution Green made towards the 2017 GF run
The three weeks at the end of that season has served as a men in black-esque memory wipe for 24 weeks before the finals, where we were incredibly ordinary and undeserving of a finals spot. We only beat 3 top 8 sides over the course of the home and away season, and when our season was on the line we lost 5 of our last 6 games to finish the regular season.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Morgan in peak career form + Origin level defense = 2017 finals run. We were average at best all year. Still don't know where the hell that finals form came from. Was a joy to watch. Shame it died just as quick as it appeared.

Walters is a fraud of a coach and i hope he is never anywhere near our team.
The three weeks at the end of that season has served as a men in black-esque memory wipe for 24 weeks before the finals, where we were incredibly ordinary and undeserving of a finals spot. We only beat 3 top 8 sides over the course of the home and away season, and when our season was on the line we lost 5 of our last 6 games to finish the regular season.
Exhibit A and B