Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Our Awards for 2006

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
With the season over, I thought Id kick things off by nominating club awards (based on my opinion), please add your own thoughts and awards also.

Player of the Year: Aaron Payne. Hard pick due to inconscitency but Payne is probably the most underated player in the NRL, and when he played well so did the team. Played all over the park positionally as well and still gave effort in every game.

Forward of the Year: Luke O'Donnell. Another hard pick due to reasons above, but its no secret that once Luke was injured in Origin 1 our season went south

Back of the Year: Johnathon Thurston. Injured for a large stretch but no other backs really were in contention for this award. Normally you could easily go for one of the back three (Sing, Williams, Bowen) but for various reason neither deserved it this year.

Best Newcomer/Rookie Mark Henry. Probably just a shade off JT as Back of the Year to be honest, showed some of the more experienced backs a thing or two about effort and turning up every week.

Best Win of the Year Both Broncos Wins (Tie). Belting them in Brisbane probably turned out to the be the worst thing that happened to us in terms of hype and expectation, but gee it felt bloody good. Then to top it off after all had written the team off from winning a game, and with JT injured after 5mins beating the Broncos in Townsville (in our first ever regular season game) was pretty sweet. Those early season stories about the Balance of Power shifting and Broncos demise in QLD turned out to be nothing but we still have bragging rights over them.

Worst Loss of the Year Roosters 40-20. Lot of contenders frankly but leading 20-0 or so and giving up 40 or so in one half is probably the worst loss by any NRL club this season, or most others for that matter. The season ended that day unfortuneatly.

Ramit

First Grader
Reaction score
IMO Gavin Cooper is a special for best Rookie.

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Good call, probably brushed him because of him being a Titan to be honest.

But seriously I agree of all the people we lost (Hannay, Sing, McConnell, Amos etc.) he is the biggest loss because you can just tell the guy is going to be really really good in the next few years.

cphil83

First Grader
Reaction score
Player of the year - Thurston
Best Forward - Carl Webb
Best Back - Bowman
Rookie: Gavin Cooper
Best Win: 2nd Broncos game
Best rep player: Thurston
Encouragement: Luke O' Donnell
Q/Cup: McConnell
Golden Spanner: Sarge

danodonnell

Junior
Reaction score
Most Inconsistent: Matt Sing

Geez he had some shockers dropping the ball on important plays and conceding tries, and then other matches he absolutely flew, catching the high balls for tries like in the 2nd Broncos match. Could probably give this award to Matt Bowen too

Best rookie: Gavin Cooper

I think the 2nd Broncos game was the best, and I couldn't agree more about the Roosters 40-20 loss being worst of the season. That was painful

Best player who I don't think should have been sacked, but dealt with in other ways: Mitchell Sargent

RHINO

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
hit of the year - LOD against manly
try of the year - Last gme against eels, no doubt there is better but the i just cant go past seeing troncy in full flight with the fullback to beat lol

fiery phoenix

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
GO JT! he deserves the best player, best rep - i think ashley graham deserves best back for now but im not gonna argue with the first post ;)