Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Options for Streaming of Cowboys games?

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks BEAVES.
Everything is going better then I expected. I have it both on my Mobile and Laptop. Haven't tried to use the HDMI cord yet for the TV. Waiting to get to the TV . Nearly have to make a booking a week in advance here. Cowboy games are non negotiable though.

The main issue is going to be the Internet speed. No NBN here and our speed is normally around the 5 - 6 mpbs but can drop to around 3 and with a high of about 9 on a good day.

Now to experiment to see if I can log on another Computer and if both will receive at the same time. Also have to see how to put on TV from my Samsung Mobile. All good so far though.

Think this Kayo might be the real deal except for the Luddite Copper Wire.
I have my phone data as backup if my terrible internet slows down, can hook it up to the computer and use it instead of the ADSL.

Might not be an option if you have a small mobile data allowance each month.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
If no NBN, what about Telstra wi fi broad band. Pre-paid monthly plan.

A bonus of Telstra wi-fi broadband is that you get all the NRL games for free. However, the last time I checked I think I found out that the games could only be streamed to a phone sized screen. Not sure if that was true or whether there is some technical way of getting the games onto a bigger screen.

Bass Player

Junior
Reaction score
A bonus of Telstra wi-fi broadband is that you get all the NRL games for free. However, the last time I checked I think I found out that the games could only be streamed to a phone sized screen. Not sure if that was true or whether there is some technical way of getting the games onto a bigger screen.
If you're prepared to go on media blackout for 12hrs, the games can be viewed on a PC via whatever size screen you have it hooked up to.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I have my phone data as backup if my terrible internet slows down, can hook it up to the computer and use it instead of the ADSL.

Might not be an option if you have a small mobile data allowance each month.
I gave that a try and yes, that is an option. But, and their is always a but. I did a speed test of my Optus mobile, the best I got was 24 mpbs and it has been as low as 12. My daughter did a speed test on her Telstra network standing next to me and she got 66 to 80 mpbs.
I then went over to Robina shopping mall to see Telstra and they did a speed test in the shop on their network and they got 66. Stood outside the Optus shop and best I got was 24.

So in both cases same comparative results and looks like in our area at least Optus might be selling reduced speed, hence why they are cheaper. Next thing I have to do is get daughter to teether her mobile to my computer and see what the results are like. If their is a great improvement might have to switch networks.

Sort of increases the cost of streaming Kayo but at least it is making me query and check all available options. Next thing I have to do is check what other internet providers are doing, sort that out, and it might eliminate the need for further research. Not sure when we get the NBN but others have said that it is not better then ADSL speeds in some areas. Thanks to Telstra and the Copper wire.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
OK. Had a chance to give Kayo a real workout. For the cost of $25 per month I think I will get value from it. It certainly does not have the clarity of HD TV even when cast onto the TV.

It may be different for those on High Speed NBN or an ADSL 2 speed over 15, but I have what I have and so be it. Like Dream when the ADSL slows to below 3.5 I have the ability to tether it to my Optus network which I am now realizing is not what they try to portray. For another $10 a month I might have to go to Telstra but at this stage I will stick with Optus.

So, overall, I am happy with Kayo although I will have to watch my data use on the ADSL2 although I am sure I will not go over. Surprising how it goes when you are watching other things besides the Cowboys. Watching Cricket all day would strip your data, NRL is only for two hours or so.

Pete

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
......actually on second thoughts. I probably wouldn't go for pre-paid wi fi broadband. I went through 40 Gig in a bit over a week streaming a movie, 2 abc news programs and a few other things.

I'm thinking about getting an unlimited NBN fixed line plan.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I can be forgiven to think that streaming is now using up more data then it did a few years ago. You geeks will know more about that then me.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I dont know about kayo (& i'll wait for your game assessment, before i commit) but i had a 500gb limit pre netflix & swmbo nearly blew that out of the park in first 15 days.
Really think its more about quantity than quality, because once you have it, you feel obligated to use (watch) it.

Please give an unbiased opinion after the first game you watch via this medium as i may jump on board as well... my only reservation is I'll only want to watch nrl & cowboys tend to get a fair share of TV games these days

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I dont know about kayo (& i'll wait for your game assessment, before i commit) but i had a 500gb limit pre netflix & swmbo nearly blew that out of the park in first 15 days.
Really think its more about quantity than quality, because once you have it, you feel obligated to use (watch) it.

Please give an unbiased opinion after the first game you watch via this medium as i may jump on board as well... my only reservation is I'll only want to watch nrl & cowboys tend to get a fair share of TV games these days

Moggy,

did you actually have 500gb . I have 75 gb Prime time and 75 gb offtime. I cannot answer your query until I see your response.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
You can change the setting for quality which will save data but not look as good.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Moggy,

did you actually have 500gb . I have 75 gb Prime time and 75 gb offtime. I cannot answer your query until I see your response.
When i originally signed up with internode they had 'peak' & 'off peak' allowances, which i think was 300gb in total, they then released a new plan which was 500gb total (no off peak).
Sorry, should of been clearer, when i got Netflix she nearly blew the 500gb out in 15 days, she's eased off a bit these days but i have unlimited.
I keen to hear your opinion of the Kayo, but specifically for the non FTA games.
I'm a bit of a tight arse when it comes to this stuff, cos i pay $14 for netflix with a shitload of content, yet to pay $25 for what, to me will be, cowboys non FTA games...... i dunno,,,,, i might just revert to listening to them on the radio whilst drinking beer around the fire pit

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
It's not worth me signing up to get the footy.

I generally only watch cowboys and most rep games. I just walk to the pub and watch it there.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I had a look at the Cowboy games and if they were on TV or Fox. A good proportion are not going to be televised on FTA..

I had also thought about going to the Club to watch for free, but unfortunately, I would spend about $20 on beer and then run the risk of getting caught up in a Breath Test.

I have since realized that the Telstra guy I spoke to was not forthcoming with the information I needed. I have since seen online that Telstra have Pre Paid plans for $30 with 8 gb of data plus roll over for unused data accumulating to 220gb. Phone calls are the same free but no International calls . For another $10 their are free calls to 12 countries, but I do not need that option plus my wife is on Optus so I can use her mobile in the unlikely event I need that option.

That is my take on reading the Telstr Pre Paid $30 plan. I will now have to follow up to see what the unwritten or Lawyer speak actually means. Their is always a gotcha somewhere but I will not be on a Contract while I am sorting out the finer details and confirming I am getting the faster speed. Bearing in mind that I only need to change Networks when my ADSL2 fails.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I have done some more research. My internet is with TGP. I rang them to ask why my Internet speed is so slow and why I can go from a high of about 8 to minus 1.

I think the guy was the most honest I have spoken too over the years I have been with TGP. He almost said that because we are on ADSL2 and are 3.7 km from the exchange it does not take much interference to get that sudden loss of speed. I asked why my neighbour on the Telstra network gets better speed than me, and his answer was that TGP hire the line from Telstra and it is not unknown for them to hand out the dodgy lines and keep the better ones for their own clients. Therefore. the further out from the exchange, the more likely an issue.

It is something I have thought for a long time. Also because my landline is with another Non Telstra company, it makes it difficult to really pressure somebody when we have a technical issue because they can easily deflect to the other two parties. So, unfortunately, I have had to get down on bended knee and ask Telstra to take me back ( After telling them previously, I would rather go back to a tin can on a string, then to ever sign up with you pack of _____.

So, I have signed up to a non contract Internet and phone bundle, with unlimited data where they have waived the $240 connection fee with a Broadband Modem for the same price as my combined Phone and Internet previously. Plus my data now goes from 75 gb to unlimited. their are some other additions but I will have to see how beneficial they are.

I have been going through data at an increased rate over the last three months, but our household has two extra adults and a child so that was to be expected. No one owns up to who has been using all the perfectly adequate data we have had for years.

Once I get the Telstra phone bundle sorted, the next thing is giving Optus mobile the flick, it is giving me sub ADSL speeds while I am expecting about 40 to 70 Mpbs through the Telstra network with an increase in Data .

It appears the Telecommunication Ombudsman is being successful in reigning in these Robber Barrons as I have rung them many times and have always had a satisfactory outcome. These telecoms were out of control.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I have done some more research. My internet is with TGP. I rang them to ask why my Internet speed is so slow and why I can go from a high of about 8 to minus 1.

I think the guy was the most honest I have spoken too over the years I have been with TGP. He almost said that because we are on ADSL2 and are 3.7 km from the exchange it does not take much interference to get that sudden loss of speed. I asked why my neighbour on the Telstra network gets better speed than me, and his answer was that TGP hire the line from Telstra and it is not unknown for them to hand out the dodgy lines and keep the better ones for their own clients. Therefore. the further out from the exchange, the more likely an issue.

It is something I have thought for a long time. Also because my landline is with another Non Telstra company, it makes it difficult to really pressure somebody when we have a technical issue because they can easily deflect to the other two parties. So, unfortunately, I have had to get down on bended knee and ask Telstra to take me back ( After telling them previously, I would rather go back to a tin can on a string, then to ever sign up with you pack of _____.

So, I have signed up to a non contract Internet and phone bundle, with unlimited data where they have waived the $240 connection fee with a Broadband Modem for the same price as my combined Phone and Internet previously. Plus my data now goes from 75 gb to unlimited. their are some other additions but I will have to see how beneficial they are.

I have been going through data at an increased rate over the last three months, but our household has two extra adults and a child so that was to be expected. No one owns up to who has been using all the perfectly adequate data we have had for years.

Once I get the Telstra phone bundle sorted, the next thing is giving Optus mobile the flick, it is giving me sub ADSL speeds while I am expecting about 40 to 70 Mpbs through the Telstra network with an increase in Data .

It appears the Telecommunication Ombudsman is being successful in reigning in these Robber Barrons as I have rung them many times and have always had a satisfactory outcome. These telecoms were out of control.
Cowboy Pete.

The sad thing is what most people don’t realise is that if there was only one government owned supplier (like we had until 1991) the vast majority of these problems would not exist. It would also be cheaper. Some politicians did not realise that if you introduce competition to a ‘natural monopoly’ prices will rise and quality of service will decline. This is high school level economics.

I am in the process writing a detailed paper on this subject. We have had competition for 28 years and this is the result.

Turkish Cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
Hey, long time reader with the first post. I am from Turkey and since I have been following the sport for a few years, I gotta admit that I am not highly knowledgeable as many of you are. But I will try to stick around here and add an international perpective to the board, yay!

As for the topic, I got to watch the Thursday Night, Friday night and the Sunday afternoon games live on my TV on Fox Sports International. I believe these games are already broadcasted free on Channel 9 in Australia.

Not sure if there are any other international followers here but I'd appreciate to get some help about watching especially the Saturday games, at which we will see lots of Cowboys games this year.

Btw, I am very sorry for the recent flood. Hope the city could recover from it.

MPW_Fanboy

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Hey, long time reader with the first post. I am from Turkey and since I have been following the sport for a few years, I gotta admit that I am not highly knowledgeable as many of you are. But I will try to stick around here and add an international perpective to the board, yay!

As for the topic, I got to watch the Thursday Night, Friday night and the Sunday afternoon games live on my TV on Fox Sports International. I believe these games are already broadcasted free on Channel 9 in Australia.

Not sure if there are any other international followers here but I'd appreciate to get some help about watching especially the Saturday games, at which we will see lots of Cowboys games this year.

If you don’t mind paying, this is the official service for international viewers that gives you access to every game live, as well as range of weekly NRL shows shown on our pay TV service. I have used this service when I lived overseas and it is great. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

welcome to the board mate.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Well! The plot thickens. I have had a look at my Data usage a bit more closely and one could be forgiven to thinking somebody has been stripping my Data. Gone back over the data usage over the last three months and appears somebody clocks on around midnight and uses about 2 to 3 Gb.

Even though our Wi fi is secured. We turn it off at night now and have signed up with Telstra with unlimited data. So, when Telstra is connected I will have to change our password regularly.

I have also given Optus the flick and gone back to Telstra mobile, they changed their Plans yesterday and are much more suitable for my needs especially if I have to tether on the occasions of poor ADSL2. As you geeks know, your phone can also affect your download speed, my daughter on her iPhone gets around 66. My Android gets approx. 24 to 36.

I hope my meanderings are of benefit to somebody out there as I would hope to think I am not the only Luddite on this forum.

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Well! The plot thickens. I have had a look at my Data usage a bit more closely and one could be forgiven to thinking somebody has been stripping my Data. Gone back over the data usage over the last three months and appears somebody clocks on around midnight and uses about 2 to 3 Gb.
Is it every day or just intermittently? It could be windows update on your computers are scheduled to download and update at 12am.