Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Offseason discussion thread

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Or, we could ask that nice Mr Murdoch if he would like to partake of our wonderful competition. As a sweetener, we might consider throwing in a bridge.

Maybe Gina might be interested. She at least would get them back into the black real quick. $2.00 per hour plus expenses.

I am sure V'landys would be open for that.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
in 2014, there must have been a few reffing ballsups, because I found this entry in my diary:

On the NRL reffing furore.

Players: Errors occur, play the whistle.

Coaches: Denounce the errors in your favour with as much energy as those which go against you. Every time you downplay errors in your favour with phrases like, "a bit of luck" and "we'll take it," you lose credibility and the opportunity to agitate for better officiating in general, which should be the goal. Imagine how powerful it would be with both coaches, standing side-by-side, denouncing the terrible decision.

Clubs: The result is the result. Change the future, not the past. No lawyers, please.

NRL: Admit the errors with the energy they deserve. Punish officials with the same vigour and transparency as you do players' misdemeanours. That includes public apologies (or no public apologies. But definitely the same for players/coaches and refs).

Still holds up, especially the paragraph on coaches. Arguments that are self-serving are never as credible as adherance to priciples which, at times, can go against your own best interests.

Chapdog

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
in 2014, there must have been a few reffing ballsups, because I found this entry in my diary:

On the NRL reffing furore.

Players: Errors occur, play the whistle.

Coaches: Denounce the errors in your favour with as much energy as those which go against you. Every time you downplay errors in your favour with phrases like, "a bit of luck" and "we'll take it," you lose credibility and the opportunity to agitate for better officiating in general, which should be the goal. Imagine how powerful it would be with both coaches, standing side-by-side, denouncing the terrible decision.

Clubs: The result is the result. Change the future, not the past. No lawyers, please.

NRL: Admit the errors with the energy they deserve. Punish officials with the same vigour and transparency as you do players' misdemeanours. That includes public apologies (or no public apologies. But definitely the same for players/coaches and refs).

Still holds up, especially the paragraph on coaches. Arguments that are self-serving are never as credible as adherance to priciples which, at times, can go against your own best interests.
In regards to coaching some how i cant see Trent Robinson backing the stuff up in the grand final that gave the roosters the trophy.
I'm not Jack Whigtons biggest fan after he punched a fan while out on the town however i do feel for the guy. That 6 again call (shakes head)

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I agree. In this case, Trent Robinson should be roundly denouncing the stuff-up that benefitted his team. That's exactly my point.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to coaching some how i cant see Trent Robinson backing the stuff up in the grand final that gave the roosters the trophy.
I'm not Jack Whigtons biggest fan after he punched a fan while out on the town however i do feel for the guy. That 6 again call (shakes head)

It was the correct call though. Should referees be afraid to reverse an incorrect call to the correct one? Imagine if the Raiders had scored the winning try after the wrong call?

Chapdog

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I think due to the confusion it should have been taken back to the 4th tackle and played again..

Chapdog

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
That's a good point. I do hate the Roosters so much. Interesting how on NRL360 Paul Kent said the panel that interviewed Trent Robinson after the game were weak for not backing Thurston when he pressed Robinson on that call.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. I do hate the Roosters so much. Interesting how on NRL360 Paul Kent said the panel that interviewed Trent Robinson after the game were weak for not backing Thurston when he pressed Robinson on that call.

I actually thought JT was in the wrong. Credit to JT for having the audacity to shown some opinion in an interview rather than his typical cliches. But after the crap our Cowboys copped for blaming referees before 2015, I thought JT was going back to old habits in blaming the refs for the Raiders losing.

I think Trent Robinson is the best coach in the game right now, however, I also don't think he deserves too much credit either because Uncle Nick built him such a strong team.

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I actually thought JT was in the wrong. Credit to JT for having the audacity to shown some opinion in an interview rather than his typical cliches. But after the crap our Cowboys copped for blaming referees before 2015, I thought JT was going back to old habits in blaming the refs for the Raiders losing.

I think Trent Robinson is the best coach in the game right now, however, I also don't think he deserves too much credit either because Uncle Nick built him such a strong team.
Could he make us a definite top 8?

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Could he make us a definite top 8?
I would think that he would seek to change our style of play, and remove some deadwood. I think there is immediate improvement through that alone.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Seems like we (as well as Storm, Broncos, Titans and Warriors) are going to have to relocate to Sydney. Seems wildly unfair on our players.

I am as keen as the next bloke to have footy back but this is a huge disadvantage to our team and a big ask of our players to live away from home.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Seems like we (as well as Storm, Broncos, Titans and Warriors) are going to have to relocate to Sydney. Seems wildly unfair on our players.

I am as keen as the next bloke to have footy back but this is a huge disadvantage to our team and a big ask of our players to live away from home.
I am waiting for the headline that we can't win in Sydney..... lol

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There's just no words anymore.
So many lives destroyed-they were right-this is the new normal.
The government better be preparing something special to make Australia decent again.
We are a shithole country-change my mind

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score

I spose at least the wags won't have to worry about the boys hitting the strip joints .

It's a big ask, what happens if, say 4-5 players say fukoff? I think darius boyd has gone on the record saying he won't do it. What if Morgo say no, isn't his wife due to give birth soon???.
On one hand I hope he pulls it off (Vlandys that is) whilst on the other hand I think give it an extra month (July 1 start) is perhaps achievable without the major sacrifices from our guys

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I spose at least the wags won't have to worry about the boys hitting the strip joints .

It's a big ask, what happens if, say 4-5 players say fukoff? I think darius boyd has gone on the record saying he won't do it. What if Morgo say no, isn't his wife due to give birth soon???.
On one hand I hope he pulls it off (Vlandys that is) whilst on the other hand I think give it an extra month (July 1 start) is perhaps achievable without the major sacrifices from our guys

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
$20 million per round I thought was reported NRL is worth for 8 games?

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
It seems reckless to plunge everyone slap bang in the centre of the concentration of the epidemic. Especially as we know someone, loads in fact, are going to bypass security at some point, in or out.

Let 'em sneak out in Roma. Fine.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
It seems reckless to plunge everyone slap bang in the centre of the concentration of the epidemic. Especially as we know someone, loads in fact, are going to bypass security at some point, in or out.

Let 'em sneak out in Roma. Fine.
Duh let’s take all the teams to epicentre of virus, not where there’s no cases left..
Idiots.