Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Offseason discussion thread

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
They didn't win grand final-most important thing.
Not making finals, can make excuses for all teams that don't. They'd be far off the top teams if don't make finals. Not good years at all.
Lost some players, but so would have the other clubs who had players that move to NRL/other Qcup teams..Some of those players that left, probably prove my point-couldn't stand the system and left.

I was a fan of PNG initially, but have dropped off-because so have they.
You're off the bandwagon.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I am no bandwagoner. I have over a long period of pain and humility built up super immunity to stress by supporting both the Pride and the Cowboys. But I am not yet into self flagellation.

I am double insulated, nothing can destroy me anymore.

" I am Invincible "

Last edited:

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Fox Sports article on kids to watch at the nines:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/perth-nines/bush-giants-schoolboy-stars-and-test-internationals-9-to-watch-at-the-nrl-nines-in-perth/news-story/19bac70394f9fac2ab52757ef49d0c7e

HTF part including - didn't know his 100m time was that crazy:

HAMISO TABUAI-FIDOW (COWBOYS)
He is only on the Cowboys’ development list, but don’t rule out Tabuai-Fidow making a splash at the Nines, and maybe later in the season.

Primarily a fullback Tabuai-Fidow is of Samoan-Torres Strait background and hails from Cairns.

Picked in the Australian Schoolboys side, Tabuai-Fidow wasn’t just an accomplished league player, starring for Brisbane Grammar School rugby union side, while also having a chance to join AFL side the Gold Coast Suns.

Thankfully for the Cowboys, he opted for the 13-man game and has been mentored by Matty Bowen.

Quicker than a greyhound out of a trap – he clocked 100m at 11.04 sec despite having no sprint training.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting tweet from NRL Physio:

Cows have the second-worst record with ACL injuries over the last 10 years.
I wonder how many of them are repeat injuries. Did Tate do a couple when signed to us? Also, how many were the traditional “all on their own” type of injury? I Think Dallas Johnson retired a few games early with an acl, but that was from a collision rather then the acl just popping. Can’t really help those collision based ones. Probably can’t really help the non-collision based ones either hahaha.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Lots of people run 11 seconds without sprint training, lots of fast kids will never do sprinting-it’s niche....most backs will be near that time at least. What they run on track doesn’t mean it translates to the grass.
HTF has what is hard to measure-field speed-only a select small amount of players have it-they are just always going to be the fastest player on the field.
HTFs speed or stride length over 10m is where we will see what he has to offer the team.

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Blackhawks side named for their trial against the Cutters in Bowen on Saturday night. Kick off is at 6pm. Tuki Simpkins named alongside a couple of other contracted U20s players.

1. Carlin Anderson
2. Michael Carroll
3. Zinzaan Martin
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Harry Mulligan
6. Sam Martin-Savage
7. Aaron Moore
8. Griffin Neame
9. Krys Freeman
10. Kieran Quabba
11. Temone Power
12. Nathan Barrett
13. Tom Hancock (c)

14. Sam Murphy
15. Lachlan Taylor
16. Vaughn Kim
17. Tuki Simpkins
18. Keanu Wainohu-Kemp
19. Tomas Chester
20. Ty Everett
21. Jack Johnson
23. Curtis Dempsey

https://blackhawkstsv.com.au/2020/02/12/trial-1-teams-named/

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Man I am excited for the season to start. We have an incredible crop of young players coming through the QCUP system.. I will be watching a lot of QCUP!

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Am I excited for the season to start? You bet :cool:
Officially one more sleep till the 9s start....hopefully can watch all the action, try to, day 2 is long.
Might throw a few bets on or every game, don’t usually bet on footy.
Looking forward to seeing the boys in action..should be a feeling at the club this year amongst everyone.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm whether McGuire is suspended for round 1 or not?
Sure is.

Round 25 charge:

PlayerJosh McGuire
ClubCowboys
Time Minute of Match56th
Charge/IncidentTripping
Charge Grade1
Result - guilty or not guilty?Guilty - early plea
Matches to serve1
Points/fine calculation135+35=170
Carry-over Points70
Misconduct on whom?Cameron Smith

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Well however plays 10 in the first round-if they play excellent-keep playing them till they do otherwise.

FeldtByAGagai

Junior
Reaction score
Sure is.

Round 25 charge:

PlayerJosh McGuire
ClubCowboys
Time Minute of Match56th
Charge/IncidentTripping
Charge Grade1
Result - guilty or not guilty?Guilty - early plea
Matches to serve1
Points/fine calculation135+35=170
Carry-over Points70
Misconduct on whom?Cameron Smith
Cheers.

Yeah knew he was charged, just didn’t know whether missing any trials counted towards his ban. How frustrating. Really need his aggression and niggle vs the Donkeys round 1.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
No McGuire, Scott or Bolton means we're likely to start an unexpected middle alongside McLean and Taumololo against the Donkies in Round 1 :

Experienced middles
Hess
Jensen
Molo
Asiata

Exciting kids
Hola
GOATbert

Out-of-the-box options
Cooper
Wright

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I’d pick Molo off the top of my head-earned his shot to start..Hola on the bench provides similar impact to Molo.
These young props can hold their own