Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Offseason Discussion thread

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Jase is the star of the new NRL campagin. What a man.

NRL and NRLW launch 2019 season campaign
NRL.com
Tue 5 Mar 2019, 08:42 PM

The NRL has started its 2019 Telstra Premiership launch campaign with a video featuring a host of well-known stars.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

NRL.com

The NRL has started its 2019 Telstra Premiership launch campaign with a video featuring a host of well-known stars.

I think you’ll find the Burdekin cane fires are the real star! About time!

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score

NRL.com

Minto, can we get a NSFW tag on this? Because that could give a bloody horn to a jellyfish.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Carl Webb actually looks pretty fit there in all seriousness. Must have been a preseason pic where he was training the house down.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Has Green actually named the captain yet? Just watching 7 news for Nrl launch & Coops was the cowboys rep present.
The plot thickens.....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Has Green actually named the captain yet? Just watching 7 news for Nrl launch & Coops was the cowboys rep present.
The plot thickens.....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Our season launch is tomorrow isn’t it? Morgo should be announced then you’d think.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Coops has gone to many a season launch I think. We always seem to send him.

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Bowen enters Cowboys Hall of Fame
Cowboys.com.au
Fri 8 Mar 2019, 02:41 PM

Matthew Bowen has today been inducted as the third member of the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys Hall of Fame.
Announced at the Cowboys 2019 Season Launch at the Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre, Bowen joins Paul Bowman and Matt Sing who were unveiled as inaugural inductees in 2015.
Unrivalled as the greatest fullback in Cowboys history, Bowen rewrote the record book during a glittering 13-year career in North Queensland.
‘Mango’ is the only player to eclipse the 100-try landmark for the Cowboys, crossing 130 times over the course of his career, 45 more than any other player to don a North Queensland jersey.

He scored a mammoth 22 tries in 2007 alone, tied with Israel Folau for the most in the NRL and also finished fourth in Dally M voting behind eventual winner and long-time teammate Johnathan Thurston. The same season he was named RLPA Player of the Year and Dally M Fullback of the year.

At the end of his Cowboys career, Bowen had appeared in 270 games for North Queensland, a club-record only topped by Thurston in 2018.

A member of both the club’s 10 and 20-Year Anniversary teams, Bowen is also one of just nine Cowboys Life Members.

“I’m extremely humbled to be inducted into the Cowboys Hall of Fame,” Bowen said.

“Bear [Bowman] and Singy [Sing] are two blokes I really looked up to when I came into first grade, when I played alongside them and I continue to look up to them today. To be inducted into the Hall of Fame alongside two players and men of that calibre is a huge honour.

“I would have never achieved what I did in my career without my mum and dad, they drove down to Townsville for every one of my games. Receiving honours like I did today would never have happened without their love and support.

“The Cowboys are the only team I played for in Australia and I’m a home-grown product of North Queensland so this club, its members and fans mean the world to me.”

Cowboys Director of Football and Hall of Fame Committee Chairman Peter Parr described Bowen as “one of the great Cowboys” upon announcing his induction.

“The Hall of Fame is designed for the best of the best so first and foremost you need to meet the criteria and Mango has definitely done that,” Parr said.

“He’s obviously done it statistically, but the voting also calls on you to look at the player’s character and integrity and he clearly ticks both those boxes as well.

“I think above all is the fact no player in any jersey to play at 1300SMILES Stadium has captivated a crowd like Matthew Bowen.
“There is no doubt that there is not a player in Cowboys history who brought more joy to the crowd or entertained more on the field than Matthew.”

Revivous

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
Introducing Captain Morgan!
Cowboys.com.au
Fri 8 Mar 2019, 02:57 PM

Michael Morgan has today been announced as the new captain of the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys.

Morgan was officially unveiled in the key leadership position at the Cowboys 2019 Season Launch at the Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre, with Jordan McLean anointed vice-captain.

The new Cowboys captaincy duo take over from club legends Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott, with Scott to remain a crucial member of the Cowboys leadership group.

A home-grown North Queensland product, Morgan came through the Cowboys pathways system in Townsville before bursting on to the NRL scene as an 18-year-old in 2010.

In 2014 he became a first-grade regular and a year later emerged as one of the game’s brightest stars in a season which culminated with that famous flick pass to send Kyle Feldt over after the siren to bring the 2015 grand final against Brisbane to golden point.

Morgan has also registered nine appearances for Queensland and a further 12 for Australia.

McLean joined the Cowboys prior to the 2018 season and despite playing just 10 games due to a foot injury, quickly became a leader among the playing group.

The 27-year-old has played 96 NRL games since debuting in 2013 and has also represented the Kangaroos on eight occasions, including at the end of last season.

“The logical choice would have been to keep Matt Scott on as skipper given he was co-captain for so long, but after the retirement of Johnathan we viewed this decision as an opportunity to build for the future,” Cowboys head coach Paul Green said.

“Morgo showed us in 2017 he had the attributes to lead this club and the benefit of naming him captain now is the fact we still have players of Matt and Gavin Cooper’s experience at the club to support both Michael and Jordan. The timing ensures we’re not throwing Morgo in the deep end.

“Macca’s appointment is also a look to the future. He has shown strong leadership qualities since the day he arrived at the club and again we thought this was the right time to hand him extra responsibility before some of our more experienced players move on in the next few years.”

Morgan said he was honoured to be following in the footsteps of a prestigious group of former captains including Thurston, Scott, Paul Bowman and all the way back to the club’s inaugural skipper Laurie Spina.

“The privilege of being named captain of this club is one of the most special moments of my career,” Morgan said.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to play my whole career here, I’m born and raised in Townsville and grew up just down the road from 1300SMILES Stadium. I have a lot of fond memories as a kid of spending the day playing footy at junior league and then coming across to Cowboys games.
“This club has a history of strong leaders and hopefully I can continue the tradition.”

McLean admitted he was shocked when told by Green he would be named vice-captain.

“It’s only my second year at the club and I only managed to play 10 games last year, so this appointment came as a surprise, but I’m honoured to be taking on the role,” he said.

“I’ve grown to love this club very quickly, which is a reflection of the quality of people we have here at the Cowboys along with our fan base. They come from all over and pack our stadium every game and I can’t wait to run out in front of them next weekend.”

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Great to have somebody born and raised in Townsville become captain of this club. Looking forward to watching him grow into the role and hopefully see him evolve as a player.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Morgan makes sense but I'm surprised McLean is VC. Would have thought Lolo might get that nod

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Dream - The ultimate waiting game champion.