Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

NRL Recruitment and Retention

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Might sound hypocritical because we did similar for Lolo but I think that's a pretty ridiculous contract.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
Might sound hypocritical because we did similar for Lolo but I think that's a pretty ridiculous contract.
Looking back at that now, we committed daylight robbery offering Jase that contract. One of the rare decisions the club has absolutely nailed in recent times with regards to player contracts.

Offering the type of money the Dogs are to Latrell is a shockingly woeful decision and it’s no wonder their club is in such a dire situation on and off the park. Latrell might win you the odd game with his individual brilliance every so often, but he’s far too inconsistent, lazy and has a lot of growing up to do.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Looking back at that now, we committed daylight robbery offering Jase that contract. One of the rare decisions the club has absolutely nailed in recent times with regards to player contracts.

Offering the type of money the Dogs are to Latrell is a shockingly woeful decision and it’s no wonder their club is in such a dire situation on and off the park. Latrell might win you the odd game with his individual brilliance every so often, but he’s far too inconsistent, lazy and has a lot of growing up to do.
You may be overlooking the possibility of serious injury to Taumalolo.

Players are not normally offered 10 year contracts. This is largely because a serious injury can change a great player to an ordinary player overnight. Ten year contracts are therefore, extremely high risk for the club concerned.

MPW_Fanboy

Sent Off
Reaction score
You may be overlooking the possibility of serious injury to Taumalolo.

Players are not normally offered 10 year contracts. This is largely because a serious injury can change a great player to an ordinary player overnight. Ten year contracts are therefore, extremely high risk for the club concerned.
Players aren’t offered 10 year contracts because clubs aren’t willing to take the punt on just anyone for that period of time. They have to be a once in a generation player to command that type of commitment from a club.

There’s only two players in the major codes of Australia on that length of contract and money. Jase and Buddy Franklin at the Sydney Swans - two greats of their respective sports who are once in a generation players and poster boys of their codes.

I understand the risk of injury. But given his lack of history with serious injuries, I think it’s a brilliant bit of business from the club investing and locking in the face of the club moving forward out of the JT era.

In the time between when he signed the contract, and the year 2022 (halfway of his deal) the salary cap will have raised by 3 million dollars. It’ll no doubt raise more than that in the back half of his contract and we’ll be in an era where million dollar a season contracts are the norm. If he continues the type of performances he is putting out, and even when he expectedly regresses at the back end of his career (will probably fall back to the peloton and punch out numbers that are average in comparison to jase’s prime, but still good numbers in the context of everyone else) we’re still only paying a mil a season for a very good player.

I am stoked the club secured his long term future and didn’t give other clubs an opportunity to sniff around and potentially poach him.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
I just read Darius is close to getting punted. That's a serious fall from grace.....So, Milford stays at fullback to get some running into his legs. Dearden and SOS to be a rookie combination? Their struggles are probably becoming more ridiculous than ours. At least we can blame some of our crap on mounting injuries.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Media said Milford is out indefinately. I recall someone mentioned that. Could be Boyds saving grace.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Who would want to be the coach of the Gold Coast Titans?

Pretty disappointed Walters has seemingly ruled himself out of the Titans gig. An honorable loss in game 3 was probably the worst possible thing that could've happened from a QLD Origin point of view. He'll roll out the usual 'he's done a job for us' line when he selects the same Broncos next year despite us losing the past two series.

Surely if the Titans got a half decent coach down there they could potentially go alright though. It's not a bad place to live so if they weren't such a rabble I'm sure decent players would go there.. Nice beaches. relaxed lifestyle. They've even got 2 fully sized waterparks. The fans strike me as bandwagoners so the crowds would likely improve if they had a bit of success.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I can't understand the criticism of Walters regarding Origin. Neither could a relative I was chatting to.

Queensland has lost all its big stars of the last decade. The side is hit badly by injury. Some of the senior players he did have available make some dumb decisions at critical moments of game three. He comes within a bee's whisker of winning the series. "SACK THE COACH" screams the crowd.

Chemicalspill

Bench Warmer
Donor
Reaction score
Pretty disappointed Walters has seemingly ruled himself out of the Titans gig. An honorable loss in game 3 was probably the worst possible thing that could've happened from a QLD Origin point of view. He'll roll out the usual 'he's done a job for us' line when he selects the same Broncos next year despite us losing the past two series.

Surely if the Titans got a half decent coach down there they could potentially go alright though. It's not a bad place to live so if they weren't such a rabble I'm sure decent players would go there.. Nice beaches. relaxed lifestyle. They've even got 2 fully sized waterparks. The fans strike me as bandwagoners so the crowds would likely improve if they had a bit of success.
The Gold Coast is a weird f#@ked up place. In the news for the wrong reason all the time, mostly for drug related incidents. Spent a few nights there recently. Super shady people everywhere at night. I think the beaches etc attract all the wrong types. That's my opinion anyhow, people who live there love it.

Metro

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The Gold Coast is a weird f#@ked up place. In the news for the wrong reason all the time, mostly for drug related incidents. Spent a few nights there recently. Super shady people everywhere at night. I think the beaches etc attract all the wrong types. That's my opinion anyhow, people who live there love it.
The Gold Coast is awful. Like a lot of beach towns, it attracts a lot of deros from all over Australia. Just my opinion though.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I can't understand the criticism of Walters regarding Origin. Neither could a relative I was chatting to.

Queensland has lost all its big stars of the last decade. The side is hit badly by injury. Some of the senior players he did have available make some dumb decisions at critical moments of game three. He comes within a bee's whisker of winning the series. "SACK THE COACH" screams the crowd.
Walters came across like a raving lunatic at times this year. I also think he deserves criticism for the preparation for Game 2. QLD had no sensible gameplan and tried to replicate Game 1 despite not having the troops required.

Tunza

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
If you're after a half sucked opinion there are no better options than Gus or Gal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk