Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

My Mango Juice tastes a bit sour this Morning

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Straight off let me say that I am a massive Matty fan and in my opinion he has to be in the side....... I just don't think it should be at fulback any more.

What I have noticed ties in with the Cowboys goal line defence....or lack there of. Like a lot of people ( probably a lot smarter than me ) have said on here I feel it is down to attitude and in my oppinion one of the worst culprits is MANGO.

I know it is hard to compare players and particularly from other clubs as RL is a TEAM game but it's hard not to watch Slater and marvel. To me his ability is obvious but that pales in comparison to his attitude. If you went back and watched every Storm game over several seasons I bet you would struggle to find more than a handfull of goal line tries scored against them where Billy Slater wasn't either involved in the tackle or sprinting accross to try and get involved in the tackle.

Now lets take last nights Inglis try as an example of Matty's goal line attitude. Greg first took a pass vertually under the sticks and then crabbed across field when he eventually steamrolled Ray Mango wasn't even in the picture. I guarantee if this same situation happened in a team containing Slater Inglis may have still scored but he would have had to plant the ball in between Slaters left and right gonads..... he would've been all over him like a rash.

The same thing happens on every kick. Last week when the two Roosters tries were scored off kickks ............where was Matty scrambling across to assist.........

For me Matty needs to play and defend in the halves and we need a younger player in the Slater elk who will put his body on the line and scramble behind the line.

This may be a total load of BS but at least I got it off my chest and now the more educated can shoot me down.

Solution : FIRE THE F#$K UP MATTY or

1. ?? ( leave this to the educated)
2. Graham
3. Tait
4. Winters
5. KFFL
6. Mango
7. Thurston
8. Scott ( if fit or Simms )
9. Ray
10. Tamou
11. Cooper
12. Hall / ?
13. Tariq
14. Seggs
15. Thorby
16. Taumololo
17. Simms / (Reithy if Scott injured )

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I laughed.

Apart from this week, Bowen has been one of our best players this year.

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I laughed.

I'm thinking that you might need to develop an unlike button as well buddy for threads like this lol

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think they are all **** and all have attitude problems and the simple fix to it is just to switch their positions around. So here is my new reshuffled team and along with it will come a brand new attitude. I only went for a 3 man bench because of the glowing reports for Ravs, Minto and Hannay coming out of Mackay from Jhack, those 3 should get the job done. I dropped JT cause he has the worst attitude problem and needs to go back to QLD cup cause it has the highest skill level in world footy and lets face it there aint enough room for him and ravs..

1. Tamou
2. Cooper
3. Segs
4. Ashton
5.Taumalolo
6. DJ
7.Scott
8.Mango
9.Tate
10.Ash
11. Winters
12. KFFL
13.Thorby

14. Rovelli
15. Hannay
16. Matt Minto

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I laughed.

He is one of if not THE best player...... but is he still best suited at fullback? In attack he has few peers and in my opinion a solid defender. Ask yourself this question. When was the last time you remember Matty coming in and holding up a player to stop a try or at least try to ........and now try and remember a game where Slater didn't .

We need mango but is it at fullback ?

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Before you can even begin to think of doing what you suggest whether it is right or wrong you need 1 thing. A quality replacement fullback ready to step in and do a better job. They don't have that.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Before you can even begin to think of doing what you suggest whether it is right or wrong you need 1 thing. A quality replacement fullback ready to step in and do a better job. They don't have that.
Agree .

But maybe we have and we just don't know it. We have plenty of quality backs at the club for a change.

Thommo Junior

Former Champion
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
He is one of if not THE best player...... but is he still best suited at fullback? In attack he has few peers and in my opinion a solid defender. Ask yourself this question. When was the last time you remember Matty coming in and holding up a player to stop a try or at least try to ........and now try and remember a game where Slater didn't .

What Matty lacks in size ,stature and goal line defence he makes up for in heart, attack and kicking skills but I do agree with you in principle. If you could have Slater's defence and Matty's attacking skills in the one player he would be the best ever. Matty has been great for us at the back and has saved a lot of tries in cover defence or chase downs but as you say he is very easy to run through close to the line and is to short to contest bombs effectively but we simply don't have any other options at present so Matty will remain custodian and I am happy enough to go with it.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
What Matty lacks in size ,stature and goal line defence he makes up for in heart, attack and kicking skills but I do agree with you in principle. If you could have Slater's defence and Matty's attacking skills in the one player he would be the best ever. Matty has been great for us at the back and has saved a lot of tries in cover defence or chase downs but as you say he is very easy to run through close to the line and is to short to contest bombs effectively but we simply don't have any other options at present so Matty will remain custodian and I am happy enough to go with it.
Fair enough. I guess we will just have to go back to 04 / 05's motto.............. No matter what the other team scores we'll score more

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Agree .

But maybe we have and we just don't know it. We have plenty of quality backs at the club for a change.
we know we don't who would we put there? Ulugia? Milne? KFFL? Gash?

fanfromsingapore

F
Agree .

If Slater had been brought through the Cowboys system (instead of Melbourne) as a young man, would the coach have had the courage and the foresight to pick him over an established Matty Bowen?

Thommo Junior

Former Champion
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess we will just have to go back to 04 / 05's motto.............. No matter what the other team scores we'll score more
Thinking about Warren Ryan has bought an interesting comparison to mind. In '84 he took over the coaching role at Canterbury and to counter the attacking flair of the Parramatta Eels which included Brett Kenny, Ella, Sterling, Grothe etc etc he came up with the "Dog's of War" mentallity to out muscle the Eels pack and therefore contain that brilliant backline....and it worked perfectly as the Dogs won the minor premiership and then the GF 6 - 4 !. Perhaps it is something this squad could use against the likes of the Storm ??.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Thommo Junior

Former Champion
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
If Slater had been brought through the Cowboys system (instead of Melbourne) as a young man, would the coach have had the courage and the foresight to pick him over an established Matty Bowen?
You have asked this before and the simple answer is NO ! Henry does not have the perception skills Bellamy obviously has.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
This year we've seen GI and Morris .............. why not say....Linnett ???

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This year we've seen GI and Morris .............. why not say....Linnett ???
Linnett doesn't have the rigt skills to play fullback imo

btw 1000 Posts :D

fanfromsingapore

F
You have asked this before and the simple answer is NO ! Henry does not have the perception skills Bellamy obviously has.
Thommo. Thanks for pointing out that I had asked this question before. I could be wrong but I don't think the question was answered last time.

Furthermore, Neil Henry was not the coach back then anyway.

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Thinking about Warren Ryan has bought an interesting comparison to mind. In '84 he took over the coaching role at Canterbury and to counter the attacking flair of the Parramatta Eels which included Brett Kenny, Ella, Sterling, Grothe etc etc he came up with the "Dog's of War" mentallity to out muscle the Eels pack and therefore contain that brilliant backline....and it worked perfectly as the Dogs won the minor premiership and then the GF 6 - 4 !. Perhaps it is something this squad could use against the likes of the Storm ??.....
If you look at any team that has come close to them so far this year that's exactly what they've tried.......and our forwards are up there with any..............forget Ballemy lets get the Wok

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Linnett doesn't have the rigt skills to play fullback imo

btw 1000 Posts :D
Congrats on 1000............ I will be unliked out before then.:tongue:

He has speed and SIZE though...............maybe he isn't right but my point was we're not without options

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe because he has zero experience there? You want to turf out one of our more experienced players for a rookie who's played his whole career at a different position. FMD.

Mango has had a couple of quiet games on the trot but this is silliness.