Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Laurence Lancini to step down as chairman

Minto

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
North Queensland Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini will stand down in 2020

NORTH Queensland Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini will see the team run out at its new stadium next year but has revealed he will step down from his role before the season’s end.

The high-profile developer, who oversaw the Cowboys’ first NRL premiership, has told the Townsville Bulletin he will stand aside as chairman in 2020.

He has held the role since 2001 and has been involved with the club since its inception.

Mr Lancini said he was nearing the age of 60 and while there was no real reason behind the decision, it was time to step back.

He will vacate the role at a time when the club moves into its new home at the North Queensland Stadium.

“I’ve always put a mark in my mind that when I turned 60 I’m going to release myself from a lot of my roles and look to live my life,” he told the Townsville Bulletin today.

“I’ll still work a bit in my business. I bought a farm in Maleny (in the Sunshine Coast hinterland), I’m building a new house at the moment, I’ve got a house at Hamilton Island that I will spend some time at. I’m going to just to live my life a bit and enjoy the rest of my life, however long it may be.”

Mr Lancini, who was this year appointed as a Member of the Order of Australia for significant service to rugby league and the North Queensland community, said the Cowboys had produced many accomplishments in his time.

“I‘m just proud of the club and everyone involved in the club and the support we’ve got,” he said.

“What it’s done for Townsville, North Queensland is something I’m really proud of.”

Asked whether it was the right time to leave, Mr Lancini said the club was in a great position.

“Look at our achievements: the leagues club, the new stadium, the centre of excellence, the boys and girls house; we’ve got a great operation,” he said.

Mr Lancini would not be drawn on who was best to take over as chairman of the club.

“It’s up to the board to make a decision,” he said.

“There’s probably plenty of people that would do a great job but at this stage, we have nobody that we’ve discussed it with, and the board certainly hasn’t had a discussion about it.”

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Dare I say it. Not long back I said that Lancini who works behind the scene would call for another review of the season after the previous review that saw Parr and Green have their roles altered.

Looks like Laurence has voted with his feet. He is going to be a hard man to replace.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Pete, I think Lancini is falling on his sword after all the off season mucking around came to naught in 2019.

Thanks to Laurence for your service to the club.

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
"I’m going to just to live my life a bit and enjoy the rest of my life, however long it may be.”

Is there perhaps more to this resignation than he's letting on?????

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
"I’m going to just to live my life a bit and enjoy the rest of my life, however long it may be.”

Is there perhaps more to this resignation than he's letting on?????

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
yep, somethings up I think.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Laurence said at the start of the year that he would be looking to step aside at the appropriate time.