Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Kobe Bryant

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
A completely different sporting code, but I find myself still struggling to comprehend to loss of Kobe, Gigi and all the other victims of that chopper crash.

I love the Lakers in the NBA, and Kobe Bean Bryant has to be at least 80% of the reason for me loving the Lakers (honourable mentions to Shaq, Magic Johnson and more recently LeBron James). Growing up in Townsville, there was probably a time basketball was almost as popular as footy (the Crocs were huge back in the day when the Cowboys were collecting spoons). Plus my beloved Town High had the Tropics basketball program.

I know a celebrity death is not like a family member. But I just felt like I had watched this cocky kid (from Lower Merion High School) make a tonne of mistakes in life, and then grow into a very good man and a very good player. And more recently, Kobe the dad of four, including mentoring his protege and daughter, Gigi.

It honestly feels like I lost somebody I knew personally for 20-25 years.

I am not even going to seriously contemplate an NRL equivalent, but gosh it would be terrible if our Cowboys, or the NRL in general, experienced something like this.

To quote Jerry West, it was a God Awful Day.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

First Grader
Reaction score
As explained to me during a 2002 (maybe 2003?) Blackhawk helicopter pre-flight briefing:

* Generally speaking, helicopters are a lot more dangerous than conventional aircraft.
* Where to exit the aircraft in an emergency. Lowest points of the blades during rotation etc.
* If there is a fire – it is every man for himself.

Media reported that Kobe Bryant’s wife refused to travel on the same helicopter at the same time as Kobe Bryant. Kobe’s daughter would still be alive today if Kobe hadn’t chosen to take his child on that helicopter.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
As explained to me during a 2002 (maybe 2003?) Blackhawk helicopter pre-flight briefing:

* Generally speaking, helicopters are a lot more dangerous than conventional aircraft.
* Where to exit the aircraft in an emergency. Lowest points of the blades during rotation etc.
* If there is a fire – it is every man for himself.

Media reported that Kobe Bryant’s wife refused to travel on the same helicopter at the same time as Kobe Bryant. Kobe’s daughter would still be alive today if Kobe hadn’t chosen to take his child on that helicopter.
Kobe used that very helicopter countless times. I am sure he had full confidence everything would be fine.