Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

JT backs calls for conversation on changing Australia Day date.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Or we could keep the date, start the day with a bit of a remembrance and a smoking ceremony in the earlier hours. Pay our respects to ancestors, remember the Anzacs, and then shake a neighbours hand as a symbolic sign of unity and love.
Then by the early arvo, flip a few patties on the BBQ, and crack a can (if that is what we like to do). Throw some boomerangs in a park and play some cricket.

I don't like attempts to only show an ultra positive or ultra negative view of our history and ignore the rest. We should be honest and celebrate what we love but also accept where colonialism had its errors and limitations (to Indigenous people, convicts and ethnic minorities exploited during the gold rush or sugar cane industry). But ultimately acknowledge we now live in a country with the resources and willingness to only get better for everybody, and build off the platform set by our (exploited) ancestors on all sides (some exploited more than others).

FYI - I am Indigenous on both sides of my family. I have enough knowledge passed down to me to whinge about everything done to my family up to mum and dad's generation. But I now have great opportunities in a country boasting wealth, the world language, vast lands and more often that not, friendly people who I get along with and had nothing to do with the past, and if anything, care about Indigenous issues. I would not want to be anywhere else in the world but Australia.

The status quo or moving the date would only please one side and may alienate others. Although, JT is right that a conversation is the first step before any change (or complacency).

@Prince Ernst of Hanover

Last edited:

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, it doesn’t worry me at all what date Australia Day is.

Every historical date I ever learnt in High School History went in one ear and out the other, so I personally find being attached to dates from several hundred years ago to be odd. Hell, if I could, I’d change my birthday from the second of August to “the first Saturday in august” simply so I wouldn’t have to work on my birthday ever again.

If they do ever decide to change the date, then personally, I think making it a guaranteed 4 day weekend on the last weekend in january is a good idea.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Shame JT couldnt come up with a date-JT would be the vehicle to deliver us a new date-people would run with it.
I question his passion and his hurt feelings, about the issue, and most other people.
If you are truly passionate about something, you become an expert on it, and in this case you have a different proposal to offer. Theres never one is there, because no one-the offended, truly does care.
People are scrambling now with date ideas, half hearted attempts at trying.
Its the media and cohorts every year whipping up anger that wouldnt be there if they didn't prod

We all get along fine, its the media and those who dont mix, telling us what our problems are

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I can't see any benefit to becoming a Republic. Also, if we become a republic some clowns will say we need to change the flag. New Zealand wasted all that money on a series of votes and ended up keeping their current flag.

I'm all for indigenous Australian folk choosing a suitable Australia day.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I can't see any benefit to becoming a Republic. Also, if we become a republic some clowns will say we need to change the flag. New Zealand wasted all that money on a series of votes and ended up keeping their current flag.

The Kiwis actually had a good reason to change flags: so foreigners did not mistake it for Australia.

I just don't think they agreed on what to change it to.

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score

To be fair to those “clowns”, becoming a republic is the ONLY reason we’d ever NEED to change the flag.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
To be fair to those “clowns”, becoming a republic is the ONLY reason we’d ever NEED to change the flag.
Scottish independence would have made things interesting... Why would we need a union jack if there is no union?

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Even if we became a republic, I would want to keep the Australian flag. A lot of people like the current flag, just as a lot of New Zealanders like their current flag.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
What if the English and Scots ended their union?
England and Scotland? I don't understand the significance of the England Scotland relationship.

Even if the England/Scotland relationship ended and it was significant there is still a union between England and Wales and Northern Ireland and goodness knows what else........

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
England and Scotland? I don't understand the significance of the England Scotland relationship.

Even if the England/Scotland relationship ended and it was significant there is still a union between England and Wales and Northern Ireland and goodness knows what else........
The Union Jack is a uniting of the England (St George Cross) and Scotland (St Andrew Cross) flags during the reign of King James VI of Scotland who inherited the English throne and was then James I.

The post 1800 version includes a red saltire for Ireland (St Patrick). Wales is not represented, though, it is said they are represented by the St George flag which also represents England.

Prince Ernst of Hanover

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The Union Jack is a uniting of the England (St George Cross) and Scotland (St Andrew Cross) flags during the reign of King James VI of Scotland who inherited the English throne and was then James I.

The post 1800 version includes a red saltire for Ireland (St Patrick). Wales is not represented, though, it is said they are represented by the St George flag which also represents England.
Maybe Australia can replace Scotland on the Union jack then. Wait.........that's just being silly.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Replace the Union Jack in the corner with the indigenous flag or simply remove the Union Jack all together and replace it with the large star with each point representing each state & territory.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ive heard a suggestion of changing the date to Melbourne Cup day-sounds good-though im not a fan of that state (I have not looked up the history of what occured on that day in the first year of arrival-we need to be careful, as I believe each day in that year, there would have been atrocities commited and the history recorded) id hire Dinesh Dsouza to look into it for us.