Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Jobs, Lifestyle & Living in Townsville / NQ

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. As you may or may not know I myself am a NSWelshman but am fanatic about the cowboys. Living on the central coast since I was born and am soon looking for change and was looking for advice on where to go. I am looking to possibly live in Townsville or surrounding areas. Just curious on :
what work in the hospitality industry is if its scarce or in high demmand.

What would the the price rage for rent be?

Whats the lifestyle like for a young 20 year old in townsville

Cheers, hope you can help me out

Jagjaxon

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
anyone? Id even take advice from FFS

Dream

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I've been to Townsville once (when I was about 12), lived on the Central Coast for about 6 months (Terrigal).

I don't have much experience, but you're desperate, from what I remember of Townsville I don't think it would be a massive lifestyle change.

ausmojo

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Mate to be honest, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

I've grown up here after being born in Mt Isa and I think the city has everything you could need if you have a content lifestyle. I'm now married with 2 kids and built a home a couple years ago, it has everything we need within touching distance. Takes 20 mins to drive to work and it's in the city, I live out near the stadium kind of. If you're a party kinda of lad, cairns and airlie are only 3-4 hour drives away for epic weekends. The cows play every other week. Sun is always out. People are bloody nice. It's not a big city but it's not small either. Stuff doesn't cost the earth. As for jobs in hospitality, I worked in the industry about 10 years ago and there was never a shortage and I wouldn't believe there is a shortage now. We got a **** tonne of restaurants around this city and I can imagine they'd always be in demand of staff.

It'd be a massive move. Just depends what you want I guess mate

ozyscott

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Hello all. As you may or may not know I myself am a NSWelshman but am fanatic about the cowboys. Living on the central coast since I was born and am soon looking for change and was looking for advice on where to go. I am looking to possibly live in Townsville or surrounding areas. Just curious on :
what work in the hospitality industry is if its scarce or in high demmand.

What would the the price rage for rent be?

Whats the lifestyle like for a young 20 year old in townsville

Cheers, hope you can help me out
Mate to be honest, I wouldn't live anywhere else.
I've grown up here after being born in Mt Isa and I think the city has everything you could need if you have a content lifestyle. I'm now married with 2 kids and built a home a couple years ago, it has everything we need within touching distance. Takes 20 mins to drive to work and it's in the city, I live out near the stadium kind of. If you're a party kinda of lad, cairns and airlie are only 3-4 hour drives away for epic weekends. The cows play every other week. Sun is always out. People are bloody nice. It's not a big city but it's not small either. Stuff doesn't cost the earth. As for jobs in hospitality, I worked in the industry about 10 years ago and there was never a shortage and I wouldn't believe there is a shortage now. We got a **** tonne of restaurants around this city and I can imagine they'd always be in demand of staff.

It'd be a massive move. Just depends what you want I guess mate
I've tossed this idea around too and would love to live in townsville, fell in love with the place the last few times I was there but it's not financially viable for me and it's a huge move if you haven't got friends and family around.

Last edited:

martincelina6

Junior
Reaction score
I lived in Townsville for three years, only recently. Climate-wise it is a big move from Victoria but you'll get used to it, i moved there from Sydney and it took a little while. I first felt it was really humid and hot but in fact it's nothing to compare to Cairns which is even hotter and heaps more humid. I didn't mind living in Townsville - it's a nice city, people are friendlier than down south, and you'll love Magnetic island just 20min off shore, and the Strand and Castle Hill.

The_Darkhorse

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Just dont expect any rain...it never rains in Townsville anymore..ever.

Bernster

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Don't move here unless you have a legit job lined up

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Too many bloody AJ's

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
:laugh: Beaves might know

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Haha I was one of them once, I'm allowed to say it.

Spacey

Captain
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Thinkin of doin a 2 week road trip from Brissy up to Cairns with the missus in June- July. Hopefully the stars will aline and get to watch my first game in Townsville. Other than this, any ideas what "not to miss" during our NQ leg?
Cheers