Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

It's payback time

Granty

Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2008/01/19/9949_sport.html

It's payback time

ANTONY STEWART
19Jan08

BIG YEAR ... Sione Faumuina wants to play for New Zealand again,
stay with the Cowboys and repay the faith of the club and the fans

PULLING on the New Zealand jersey at this year's World Cup is just one stimulant fuelling Sione Faumuina's desire to play at his peak in 2008.

While many of his countrymen are threatening to switch allegiances for rugby league's showpiece, Faumuina said the chance to play for the Kiwis was still a huge motivator.

That, and repaying his Cowboys teammates, the club and the North Queensland fans he felt he let down last season.

The 26-year-old Aucklander was suspended for seven games for a reckless high tackle late in the year, further worsening the situation for the team's depleted forward pack.

It was his second suspension after he missed three weeks mid-season.

Faumuina comes off contract at season's end but wants to remain in Townsville.

"I have got a lot to prove," he said.

"I owe the club, but also the fans a lot because being suspended towards the end of the season wasn't too great, so I am just trying to put in a big year this year.

"I love it up here and I think there is something special going on at the Cowboys at the moment and I would like to be here longer."

Faumuina is a powerful runner, tackler and has an uncanny ability to create something from nothing with an off-load.

"I think I have got a way to go in showing what I can really do and I am not going to die (wondering) this year, that's for sure," he said.

"I have had a full pre-season, I'm injury-free and I have one year under my belt in Townsville, so I am hoping for bigger and better things for this season.

"I will be expecting to do what I do best and that's to, not only play good football, but entertaining football along with JT (Johnathan Thurston) and Matty Bowen."

Faumuina, a former New Zealand Warrior and Canberra Raider, has represented the Kiwis in two Tests, but his last call-up was in 2004.

"That's at the back of my mind and it would be awesome to be selected and play in the World Cup this year," the back-rower said.

"I will definitely be trying to step up my game this season and put the pressure on selectors and see what happens.

"But I have got to prove myself in a Cowboys jersey first and play good footy for them and go from there."

Faumuina was surprised by reports that New Zealand captain Roy Asotasi was demanding coach Gary Kemble be replaced before the World Cup in October.

"I know Roy personally, we played junior footy together and he's quite humble and not too outspoken, so to come out like this, it must have some backing to it," he said.

"Roy wouldn't be causing any trouble if he didn't think it was warranted."

Faumuina has one game of his suspension remaining, but will serve it in the trials, making him available for the Cowboys' round-one clash with Gold Coast.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
My biggest gripe with him is that he lacks discilpine when on the field. If he can curb the BS in his game, and cut down on the unforced errors (like the no look passes to the centres/wingers that goes either forward or over the sideline and the kicking on the 3rd and 4th) he can be a big assest to the club. He needs to be on his best behaviour this season, the refs will be looking at him very closely so he will need to just play and keep the $hit out of his game.

Granty

Administrator
Reaction score
Faumuina's mistakes on the field remind me of Carl Webb a few seasons ago - trying to do too much and not picking 'the time' to try things (offloads etc).

Over the past few seasons Webb has gotten better at picking when and when not to try things, and I believe Faumuina was also getting better before his season ending suspension.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Granty said:
Faumuina's mistakes on the field remind me of Carl Webb a few seasons ago - trying to do too much and not picking 'the time' to try things (offloads etc).

Over the past few seasons Webb has gotten better at picking when and when not to try things, and I believe Faumuina was also getting better before his season ending suspension.
Ditto with RA. A good offseason under our magicians did him the world of good. This is 'she only found me weeners' 1st offseason in our camp. I personally think an offseason here will have a similar effect on him. 'fingers crossed smiley'.