Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

IS MICHAEL MORGAN INJURED

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Clifford was most likely stymied by Morgan.
Jake can lay the ball off to forwards and backs, kick, run occasionally, play his game with Morgan out of the way.
I feel that Jake is the halfback and Morgo is the 5/8. The problem is, their ages are the wrong way around. Clifford needs to be running the show, but he is the young kid with no authority or respect to call the shots. Morgo needs to be running the ball, which is his strength, but he is paid to be our next Thurston and constantly be involved.

Jake also needs Green to relax his rules/ ways a bit. Jake likes to play it as he sees it (like Thurston), but Green goes ballistic in the dressing room if Clifford doesn't strictly follow orders.

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to throw a couple of counter thoughts in here. I don't think Morgan shouldn't play at centre because he is paid too much. I think his best position is in the halves, 5/8 to be precise. His best in the halves is far better than what Clifford has shown to date. Sweet FA of the team played well last year, so it is hard to single one person out again. That being said, he needs to start getting some decent runs on the board, sooner rather than later.

Clifford can't still be thought of as a rookie, as he has been around first grade for some time now and has had opportunities. Also, I don't think him and Drinky combine that well from what I have seen so far. Happy for them both to prove otherwise when the season recommences.

Perfect world for me is:

Morgan uses this extra time to get his body right and recapture the form that got him to the heights of his career.
Clifford improves to a point he cannot be left out of the team and they find room for him. I am thinking a Jamie Lyon centre/half. He is big enough, bigger than Morgan and probably hasn't finished filling out (22 yo).

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to throw a couple of counter thoughts in here. I don't think Morgan shouldn't play at centre because he is paid too much. I think his best position is in the halves, 5/8 to be precise. His best in the halves is far better than what Clifford has shown to date. Sweet FA of the team played well last year, so it is hard to single one person out again. That being said, he needs to start getting some decent runs on the board, sooner rather than later.

Clifford can't still be thought of as a rookie, as he has been around first grade for some time now and has had opportunities. Also, I don't think him and Drinky combine that well from what I have seen so far. Happy for them both to prove otherwise when the season recommences.

Perfect world for me is:

Morgan uses this extra time to get his body right and recapture the form that got him to the heights of his career.
Clifford improves to a point he cannot be left out of the team and they find room for him. I am thinking a Jamie Lyon centre/half. He is big enough, bigger than Morgan and probably hasn't finished filling out (22 yo).
DrinkW got the 6 jersey.

Clifford has been a great team man, probably at the expense of his own personal gain. He’s played 20 games-he’s a rookie.
He’s shown that’s hes a 7 only, has the all round game to make a go of it....like most fans, I gravitate to the flashy players as well, but I can give Jake some time to grow into the potential he’s shown so far.

We have to protect Morgan-he can’t come back in the side and have his shoulder tested by the attacking opposition every set..he’s shown more than enough at centre to suggest he will excel there for us. He’ll be overpaid but it’s whats best for the team this year at least.

All Jake has to do is guide the forwards around, get the ball the the backs and kick well...we don’t need 2 flashy halves wanting to do it all themselves, more than happy to have DrinkW provide his classy touches and speed, need a half that can game manage and Jake is up to that.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I think Morgo's prior experiments at centre and fullback made him a better 5/8. He moved to 5/8 position with a great running game, and the rest is history. The problem is, after too long in the halves, the running game disappears, and the injuries start to mount up with all that attention (or cheap shots) from defenders. Plus most halves not named Thurston put on weight to deal with the physical attention.

I think the same has happened to Milford. He made a great initial transition to 5/8. But after too long there, he lost his running game, and his impact was significantly reduced.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think Morgan shouldn't play at centre because he is paid too much. I think his best position is in the halves, 5/8 to be precise. His best in the halves is far better than what Clifford has shown to date. Sweet FA of the team played well last year, so it is hard to single one person out again. That being said, he needs to start getting some decent runs on the board, sooner rather than later.
If we stop thinking about 2017, and only focus on after that, I think Cliffo has had much better moments in the halves than Morgo has.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Fortunately for us, we get to see the Clifford and Drinkwater combo while Morgo is out (not that I wish injury upon Morgo).

My fear is that we will be too quick to judge Clifford and Drinkwater if BOTH do not stand up immediately in Morgo's absence. That is what this Stampede does: puts the boot into a rookie, but identifies the "little things" the veterans apparently are doing right, even when those veterans are playing like sh*t.

Just as Morgo has had his recent struggles, Clifford and Drinkwater might also struggle if the forward pack gets bashed up. McLean and Hess are built like Tarzan but are playing like Jane. Dad's (Green's) army also keep getting picked: Cooper and Granville.
" Cometh the hour, Cometh the man! "

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
If we stop thinking about 2017, and only focus on after that, I think Cliffo has had much better moments in the halves than Morgo has.
I wasn't just thinking about 2017, he was good over many years. Never really know how good, playing Scotty Pippen to JT's Michael Jordan.

Re: Cliffo, he didn't even play well in half of his Q-Cup games last year. I don't think he showed a lot last year at all.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't just thinking about 2017, he was good over many years. Never really know how good, playing Scotty Pippen to JT's Michael Jordan.

Re: Cliffo, he didn't even play well in half of his Q-Cup games last year. I don't think he showed a lot last year at all.
I am sorry but Morgo is no Scotty Pippen of league.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The main negative, amongst many was, that you do not have a Million dollar player playing Center.
This is an mindless argument. It has a single, rigid point that doesn't stand up to even the slightest interrogation.
It says (one of) two things:
1. "Centres aren't worth a million." - Well yes they are, if they are. An intelligent approach is case-by-case, rather than this stupid "rule".
2. The only players worth a million are 1, 6, 7 and maybe 9. I'm sure I don't need to explain the folly of this position.

While I don't like picking a wildly once-in-a-lifetime example as proof positive that my position is valid (ala Paulo), Vai's position and pay does support my case-by-case point.

I'd suggest removing this argument from your lexicon. Put some effort in, this argument is shot. No more. It is an ex-argument. It has ceased to be.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This is an mindless argument. It has a single, rigid point that doesn't stand up to even the slightest interrogation.
It says (one of) two things:
1. "Centres aren't worth a million." - Well yes they are, if they are. An intelligent approach is case-by-case, rather than this stupid "rule".
2. The only players worth a million are 1, 6, 7 and maybe 9. I'm sure I don't need to explain the folly of this position.

While I don't like picking a wildly once-in-a-lifetime example as proof positive that my position is valid (ala Paulo), Vai's position and pay does support my case-by-case point.

I'd suggest removing this argument from your lexicon. Put some effort in, this argument is shot. No more. It is an ex-argument. It has ceased to be.
I wouldn't pay a hooker a million a year unless they have the name Cameron Smith. I wouldn't pay a 5/8 a million a year unless they are Brad Fitler or Darren Lockyer (before they got old).

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Morgo just doesn’t have the mentality to be great. He’s had a disappointing career when compared to his potential.

He has the tools to be great if he wants it enough.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay a hooker a million a year unless they have the name Cameron Smith. I wouldn't pay a 5/8 a million a year unless they are Brad Fitler or Darren Lockyer (before they got old).
Yeah, but that was back when a million dollars was a lot of money!

Last edited:

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Morgo just doesn’t have the mentality to be great. He’s had a disappointing career when compared to his potential.

I wonder how he'd go with a different coach? I mean the things I criticise him for are so basic ("stand deep enough to get your kick in") that he must have noticed. Why is he still doing it then? Because he's been told to.
I agree he's been disappointing, especially since that year at fullback. He was a treat to watch back then.

But injuries and I fear, the wrong coach has him currently unable to hit form.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but that was back when a million dollars was a lot of money!
I am basing my post on today's cap. In the modern era, there are a select few players that I would give that kind of marquee money to: Thurston, Smith, Taumalolo, Slater, Cronk etc.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I mean the things I criticise him for are so basic ("stand deep enough to get your kick in") that he must have noticed. Why is he still doing it then? Because he's been told to.
Agreed but hard to do much different when the forwards make no ground, and Granville cannot pass the ball accurately.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

Too laid back maybe. I noticed Munster made Fox Sports' list of best five eighth's of the modern era. I haven't rated their lists lately but it stings a bit as the two were often compared in the past and unfortunately Munster has come out on top.

Morgo had the world at his feet a couple of years ago. He was starting for Australia and had all the media hype behind him. It was his wave to ride, but he just didn't go to that next level. Injuries certainly haven't helped his cause but when he has been on the field he hasn't come close to replicating what he did in 2017.

Was hoping he'd get have a big year this season but who really knows.. It's a strange year with the pandemic and will probably take a while for him to regain his confidence when he returns from injury.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Has Morgo had any leg injuries? I can't recall any serious ones. For some reason he seems to have lost a bit of pace so I'm not sure if he'd have that same x-factor at centre anymore. Watching the 2015 highlights package on the Cowboys website he looked like one of the fastest players in the game. Gus even referred to him as the fastest at one point

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Morgan doesn’t need to have express pace to be an excellent centre, he is brilliant in other areas.

Hard to advocate for him when he hasn’t shown great form for along time it seems.