Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

IS MICHAEL MORGAN INJURED

Moggy

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen it time and time again. It's the most objectionable and damaging thing one can do to a player and a team.
Except of course unless it works, which I think it did with Thurston, so there's no real reason to think that Lolo couldn't grow into the role

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
The real question is whether we can have a real leader out there, or will they just be a yes man to Coach Green.
I've just asked 3 'real' questions and this deflection and failure to engage was your response.
Almost as if you don't have answers and rather than admit the holes in your stance, you decided to ignore it and hope nobody would notice if you changed the subject.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Except of course unless it works, which I think it did with Thurston, so there's no real reason to think that Lolo couldn't grow into the role
I disagree that it works. It may 'cope' but 'work'? No. All you get is a misfit overcoming the odds to be a middling figurehead, all the while the team is denied the leadership of a natural born leader.

Leaders are born. Not made. You all know it, you've all seen it. In the playgrounds, in the footy teams, in the office; you know who the leaders are and nobody appoints them, they emerge. It's irresistable. Any coach worth his salt dismisses 'good player' as a criterion for leadership and also dismisses using a leadership role to "bring on the shy kid". The only thing that matters is, "is he a leader"?

Jason Taumalolo is not a leader. He's not the alpha male in the room either. That has nothing to do with size and everything to do with attitude.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I disagree that it works. It may 'cope' but 'work'? No. All you get is a misfit overcoming the odds to be a middling figurehead, all the while the team is denied the leadership of a natural born leader.

Leaders are born. Not made. You all know it, you've all seen it. In the playgrounds, in the footy teams, in the office; you know who the leaders are and nobody appoints them, they emerge. It's irresistable. Any coach worth his salt dismisses 'good player' as a criterion for leadership and also dismisses using a leadership role to "bring on the shy kid". The only thing that matters is, "is he a leader"?

Jason Taumalolo is not a leader. He's not the alpha male in the room either. That has nothing to do with size and everything to do with attitude.
I agree

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score

Horse shit!

Chemicalspill

First Grader
Donor
Reaction score
I don't really care who fills the shoes at this stage but I disagree with the cliche of 'Leaders are born, Not made.' Contemporary research suggests that leadership skills can be acquired and also come from experience. Something that JT has been gaining for some time. It's been a while since his egg throwing days.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I have no doubt LoLo at some point was offered captaincy, dual captaincy with Morgan perhaps..but he didn’t want the other chit that goes with it.

Perhaps Morgan’s game has suffered under the burden of being captain (and injury)

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I've just asked 3 'real' questions and this deflection and failure to engage was your response.
Almost as if you don't have answers and rather than admit the holes in your stance, you decided to ignore it and hope nobody would notice if you changed the subject.
You have missed the point of my response. My response means that, it doesn't matter who has the captaincy if Coach Green tries to micromanage the team and all its plays/ options.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt LoLo at some point was offered captaincy, dual captaincy with Morgan perhaps..but he didn’t want the other chit that goes with it.

Perhaps Morgan’s game has suffered under the burden of being captain (and injury)
He might be struggling with motivation... already has a premiership... millions of dollars... is married... played for Australia... that pass to win a grand final. Needs to get his mojo/ love of footy back.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
He might be struggling with motivation... already has a premiership... millions of dollars... is married... played for Australia... that pass to win a grand final. Needs to get his mojo/ love of footy back.
Has become a father, may help, coming off shoulder surgery-I’m not going to expect the world from him,maybe this year is a write off or maybe in latter stage of season we see him finding best form again.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Has become a father, may help, coming off shoulder surgery-I’m not going to expect the world from him,maybe this year is a write off or maybe in latter stage of season we see him finding best form again.
I am sick of seasons being a write off for Morgo. He's already had two write off seasons already.

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
You have missed the point of my response. My response means that, it doesn't matter who has the captaincy if Coach Green tries to micromanage the team and all its plays/ options.
I know exactly what your point was. How about you answer the questions your point avoids.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Seeing we have 2 more weeks of no football I may as well stir the pot as well. Way back when, I had suggested Morgan to Center. it was not well received.

The main negative, amongst many was, that you do not have a Million dollar player playing Center. And, I agree that it would be seen to be a folly to sign a player of that worth to play center. However, our case has one big difference.

Morgan already is sitting on a million dollar contract so that money has been spent no matter where he plays or what seat he has in the grandstand. We have acquired some class players since that contract was signed, Holmes, Drinkwater and then we have a young potential star half back struggling for what ever reason. We are short one class center.

The missing piece in the puzzle is if Morgan goes to Center we have a top class back line with a young potential super star winger waiting in the wings.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing we have 2 more weeks of no football I may as well stir the pot as well. Way back when, I had suggested Morgan to Center. it was not well received.

The main negative, amongst many was, that you do not have a Million dollar player playing Center. And, I agree that it would be seen to be a folly to sign a player of that worth to play center. However, our case has one big difference.

Morgan already is sitting on a million dollar contract so that money has been spent no matter where he plays or what seat he has in the grandstand. We have acquired some class players since that contract was signed, Holmes, Drinkwater and then we have a young potential star half back struggling for what ever reason. We are short one class center.

The missing piece in the puzzle is if Morgan goes to Center we have a top class back line with a young potential super star winger waiting in the wings.
Fortunately for us, we get to see the Clifford and Drinkwater combo while Morgo is out (not that I wish injury upon Morgo).

My fear is that we will be too quick to judge Clifford and Drinkwater if BOTH do not stand up immediately in Morgo's absence. That is what this Stampede does: puts the boot into a rookie, but identifies the "little things" the veterans apparently are doing right, even when those veterans are playing like sh*t.

Just as Morgo has had his recent struggles, Clifford and Drinkwater might also struggle if the forward pack gets bashed up. McLean and Hess are built like Tarzan but are playing like Jane. Dad's (Green's) army also keep getting picked: Cooper and Granville.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
That is a persuasive argument. He’s contracted now regardless. Maybe it would be better for the team to have all three of Drinkwater, Clifford and Morgan in the team - with Morgan at centre.

Would depend on how Clifford goes at 7 in the upcoming games I suppose.

I can’t see Green moving Morgan from the halves though. He is pretty conservative and doesn’t like to admit he was wrong.

Billythefish

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I honestly don't think he would be a success at center. Just a gut feeling. I think he would be out of the game too much and Morgo needs to be on the ball. I think he is more a 6 than a half back tbh. Half back doesn't suit his game.

I actually reckon he could become a very good ball playing lock but I can't see us moving Jase.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Clifford was most likely stymied by Morgan.
Jake can lay the ball off to forwards and backs, kick, run occasionally, play his game with Morgan out of the way.