Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

How did you become a fan

Jax

Origin Rep
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Born and Bred NQer.

Grew up in the era where the BRL was just as big as the Sydney Comp in QLD.

Been a fan since the team was admitted in 92 with the other 3. I had assumed we where no chance in the lead up.

Was there for Rd 1 in 95, and used to travel for games every year. Unfortunately now that I'm 2000kms away I only get to the odd away game.

95 to 2004 were some rough years, but I couldn't stop supporting them (maybe I'm a sadist)

Bass Player

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
I came out to play Union in The Burdekin in 1990. I was at 4TO '93-'97 so got involved via the radio station when the Cowboys were firing up. We did a regular segment featuring "Grant Bragg, the coach of the Sunnyboys." I was in the box a bit for the first season, when the boxes were inside and soundproof! It wasn't long before they installed a sliding window so you could hear the crowd. The Crocodiles and the Cowboys are the only home teams I've ever supported. Love watching the games.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think some on here were a little nervous about our premiership being stripped, Others were pissed off too about the comparison.... Who was this reporter? It was more than insinuation... there was statement realised by the NRL about it denying it
I cannot find the original, but here is the aftermath.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-28/cowboys-chairman-says-players-property-deals-above-board/6654168

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/cowboys/cowboys-face-property-deal-questions-following-revelations-players-bought-houses-from-club-chairman-laurence-lancini/news-story/d2c79a468e7ae22958213684f787035b

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think some on here were a little nervous about our premiership being stripped, Others were pissed off too about the comparison.... Who was this reporter? It was more than insinuation... there was statement realised by the NRL about it denying it
It was Kate McClymont which is why I was so nervous about it at the time. She is a well known anti-corruption journalist who also broke the Bulldogs cap rorting scandal in the early 2000s

Here is the original article: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/north-queensland-cowboys-property-deals-in-the-spotlight-20150728-gilzoj.html

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I thought a whistle-blower brought the Bulldogs down? Or was that the Melbourne Storm?
I don't remember the details, there was some kind of paper trail that proved off-the-books payments to Braith Anasta and other lower profile players.

#CowboyDavid

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
We lived opposite Reading Cinemas on Hervey Range Road back in 1995. We were in South East Qld before that and occasionally went to Broncos games and what ever the Gold Coast team happened to be called that week but never got into either team. I was lucky that my boss invited Susan and I to game 1, 1995 and we were hooked from that day. We were member numbers 1 and 2 when they opened the original leagues club in Stockland Stadium and we attended virtually all the games until we left Townsville in late 1997. Since then we've made many trips back up to Townsville, attended all 3 grand finals and made it up for round 1 in the new stadium. That trip feels like it was many months ago.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
We lived opposite Reading Cinemas on Hervey Range Road back in 1995. We were in South East Qld before that and occasionally went to Broncos games and what ever the Gold Coast team happened to be called that week but never got into either team. I was lucky that my boss invited Susan and I to game 1, 1995 and we were hooked from that day. We were member numbers 1 and 2 when they opened the original leagues club in Stockland Stadium and we attended virtually all the games until we left Townsville in late 1997. Since then we've made many trips back up to Townsville, attended all 3 grand finals and made it up for round 1 in the new stadium. That trip feels like it was many months ago.
You still on the Gold Coast David.

NSW_Cowboy

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Grew up on the North Coast of NSW and played junior footy with the ‘Corindi Bears’ and subsequently supported the North Sydney Bears.

My pop played for Manly back in the 50s so i have always had a soft spot for them but at the same time didn’t want to support them as my dads team. So when Norths folded I was in limbo for a couple of years until I saw a little fella named Matty Bowen playing for another team that loved getting flogged (like Norths).

It is tough supporting a team you don’t get to see live too often but living in Brisbane, there is no way in hell I could support the ponies.

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I was born in Mareeba. But my family left when I was about 7 to come down to Brisbane so we could look after my Mum's mum. Dad always took me to the football especially when the Queensland Trials were on.

eg North Queensland. Wide Bay, Toowoomba, Ipswich and Brisbane. Then they condensed those country teams to Brisbane vs Combined Country. Or was it South Queensland vs Combined Country. Their was also a period when they played Possible's vs Probables too.

I always found myself supporting North Queensland and Combined Country and any team playing Brisbane. When the Cowboys started in 1995 where my heart was is obvious.

Last edited:

Cowboy Pete

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Only a TRUE Queenslander would ask that priority #1 question, well done

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
That's because last time I caught up with Dave he was drinking NZ Sauvignon Blanc. That was a few years back now.

Canberra Cow

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Welllllll, I am a Mexican who moved to the ville in 1988 stayed for a few years and moved on, was then transferred back to Townsville in 1999 for work as I used to live there and fell in love with league from there on in, now live in bumfuck NSW and still love the Cows....maybe this is their year eh? :woot:

Again!!

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
I moved to Townsville in the late 90s and went to games and just started supporting the team.

It was hard being a Cowboys fan in those days. When they even won a game it was a great feeling .

I remember a game when the Cowboys were down 48-0 against Newcastle in Townsville ... at HALF TIME.

However, all this hardship made the finals run in 2004 more special and satisfying. The 2004 win over the Broncos is my favourite Cowboys game of all time.