Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

How did you become a fan

Rudi

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Agree, Crayne07, that was a great yarn.
Everyone’s journey is different and yet we all ended up here.

Donelec

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I grew up in country NSW playing schoolboy footy during the 50’s. I would listen to the ABC commentary on Sunday’s of the Sydney comp. I can clearly remember Reg Gasnier going off his tree about what a waste of time it was disrupting the Sydney comp for the annual City vs Country clashes. After those matches the top country players would end up in the city and playing against country the next year. Sound familiar! Mick Cronin was one player that was constantly denigrated until he decided to move to Parra.
I saw that Qld was in a similar position to country so I started following Qld and have ever since. I moved to Mackay in 1983 and followed the broncos simply as they were a Qld team. But as soon as the Cowboys were rumoured I was on board. I still cop flack from rellies back in NSW ( and a few Queenslanders too) but don’t really care. Missus often says I just married her to justify being a Queenslander.
Love the Cowboys.
Just adding to the above, I’ve been watching a lot of the old games listed in the essential thread. Really miss those days when we could score from anywhere and were never out of it even if it was 0/30 at half time. Hearing the commentators yell ‘they can hurt you from anywhere’ gives me goose bumps and a bigger thrill than dull wins seen from other teams. Winnings good but so is entertaining. Hope we can get those days back. Miss Muz

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
This is a long yarn so feel free to skip forward.....

I found myself on "The Bus" ( my favourite memories in the early years were heading to town in the bus after a win....... If you didn't get to experience this I am truly sorry) copping a verbal and wishing I wasn't wearing my shirt. I remember catching a taxi back to the hotel and swapping my shirt......... I took off my teams colours...... This wasn't my team. I never wore that Northern Eagles Jersey again and by the time Manly came back in their own right I was a fully converted, rusted on COWBOYS TRAGIC.....
Ahhhh the good old days of The Bus into the city (or even the shuttle to Willows).

There used to be a lot of flogs waving wooden spoons, and taunting Cowboys fans. Or fans hilarious whinging how useless and pathetic we were, and they were never going back again (only to be back next week lol). The wins we had back in those years were epic. I wasn't even old enough nor interested to drink but it was hilarious as a child seeing all the drunks get rowdy and emotional lol

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Muzz could actually coach unlike Green.
Muzz connected with the fans through the media, or even in person at the league's club after games. It's hard to comprehend his supposed attitudes towards the players as he was a lovely man with all the fans. RIP Muzza!

crayne07

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Ahhhh the good old days of The Bus into the city (or even the shuttle to Willows).

There used to be a lot of flogs waving wooden spoons, and taunting Cowboys fans. Or fans hilarious whinging how useless and pathetic we were, and they were never going back again (only to be back next week lol). The wins we had back in those years were epic. I wasn't even old enough nor interested to drink but it was hilarious as a child seeing all the drunks get rowdy and emotional lol
On behalf of the drunks..............

I Apologise

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Even though he is the only coach with Cowboy silverware he can't coach....sure!
Thurston, Scott, Taumalolo and Tamou etc had more to do with that premiership than Coach Green.

Last edited:

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Thurston, Scott, Taumalolo and Tamou etc had more to do with that premiership than Coach Green.
Yep that's why we have 10 premierships during the time they played

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
As I said in my synopsis in of our gf winning year-the opposition had a star player or 2 out pretty much every week-that is very fortunate.
Coach Green didn’t take this into account in the years after and played the same team, hoping for the same results, we came up short cause we didn’t have the same fortune as 2015.
Nothing wrong in getting some luck to get to gf, we had a lot of luck....forum members acknowledged the star players missing from opposition virtually every week, but think that getting some luck tarnishes the year-it doesn’t.

Ianc

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
As I said in my synopsis in of our gf winning year-the opposition had a star player or 2 out pretty much every week-that is very fortunate.
Coach Green didn’t take this into account in the years after and played the same team, hoping for the same results, we came up short cause we didn’t have the same fortune as 2015.
Nothing wrong in getting some luck to get to gf, we had a lot of luck....forum members acknowledged the star players missing from opposition virtually every week, but think that getting some luck tarnishes the year-it doesn’t.
:rolleyes:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
There was a nervous moment or two when Morgo and Jimmy got injured late in the season. Fortunately we got them back just in time.

I cannot recall how weakened our opposition allegedly were (Slater basically missed a few seasons for Melbourne? And McGuire missed most of Brisbane's season?), but it was both extremely nervous, painful and exciting we made thing difficult for ourselves almost every game.

By the time 2016 came around, the team looked robotic, predictable and lost the hunger (well maybe after the first or second month of the season as we started enthusiastic). I don't think we necessarily were throwing in the towel, and had a reasonable title defence compared to other defending premiers, but we looked like a team who just wanted the finals to come around, so we could go all in 3-4 weeks of work. Instead, everybody wanted a shot at the premiers over a long season, and we held our own some weeks, and couldn't go with our opposition at other times.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
There was a nervous moment or two when Morgo and Jimmy got injured late in the season. Fortunately we got them back just in time.

I cannot recall how weakened our opposition allegedly were (Slater basically missed a few seasons for Melbourne? And McGuire missed most of Brisbane's season?), but it was both extremely nervous, painful and exciting we made thing difficult for ourselves almost every game.

By the time 2016 came around, the team looked robotic, predictable and lost the hunger (well maybe after the first or second month of the season as we started enthusiastic). I don't think we necessarily were throwing in the towel, and had a reasonable title defence compared to other defending premiers, but we looked like a team who just wanted the finals to come around, so we could go all in 3-4 weeks of work. Instead, everybody wanted a shot at the premiers over a long season, and we held our own some weeks, and couldn't go with our opposition at other times.
Coote nearly got his jaw broke and JT said he was millimetres off tearing his groin-in a dead rubber round 24 match against Titans, where we fielded our best side, trying to get some momentum into the finals.
I said we would start to fire again after we played Broncos and we did.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Coote nearly got his jaw broke and JT said he was millimetres off tearing his groin-in a dead rubber round 24 match against Titans, where we fielded our best side, trying to get some momentum into the finals.
I said we would start to fire again after we played Broncos and we did.
I remember Lancini losing it that season when some Sydney based journalist insinuated we were rorting the cap.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Was that about some players land/ home ownership?
Yes it was. The journalist had very little evidence, and even assumed the price of land in Townsvillle was comparable to that of Sydney.

Spacey

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yes it was. The journalist had very little evidence, and even assumed the price of land in Townsvillle was comparable to that of Sydney.
Yeah, I think some on here were a little nervous about our premiership being stripped, Others were pissed off too about the comparison.... Who was this reporter? It was more than insinuation... there was statement realised by the NRL about it denying it