Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

First time townsville visit

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Heading up to townsville for the round 4 match vs panthers. Just want to get a fair idea of where to book an airbnb close to the airport or stadium itself and the best place to sit at 1300 smiles
Any help would be appreciated

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Heading up to townsville for the round 4 match vs panthers. Just want to get a fair idea of where to book an airbnb close to the airport or stadium itself and the best place to sit at 1300 smiles
Any help would be appreciated
Your best bet mate is to simply stay in the city. Not sure how many airbnb’s there are up there?? There’s a few hotels in the city and on Palmer St that are very affordable. There’s not many places to stay out near the stadium and to be honest, you want to be in the city when your not at the game. The Strand is awesome and all the night life is in the city.

To get out to the stadium, Become leagues club member and get the bus out to the stadium. Buy your bus tickets at the Cowbs merch area at the front of the leaguesy (you’ll save a bit of money) and then head out the back to the main road (Sturt St) and swap your ticket out for the Sunbus one from the attendant and jump on the bus. There’s not many Ubers up there and a cab will cost a mint so this is your cheapest and easiest option.

Best place to sit, the western is pretty much corporates or long term season ticket holders. There’s not a bad seat in the whole house to be honest. I personally hate the end hills as its pretty uncomfortable over a 2-3 hour period.

Anywhere in the eastern is good, the lower terraces are filled with the old time season ticket holders so there’s some good banter there, the only tickets generally available to the public down low are the ones towards the try lines so its hard to get a real good seat down low. The uppers in the middle are pretty good.

If you can get in 313, 314, 315 and not too far back in any of those bays, I’d do that. Better overall view of the whole field.

Hopefully this helps mate.

Just seen the dates of your game, Thursday 6:50pm game.

Ouch.

Not sure how busy it will be with that shit timeslot. The NRL need a kick in the ass for our scheduling this year, f***ing disgraceful.

Last edited:

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
No dramas, i’ve turned he stadium pic the right way so it runs North South.

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah Beaves nailed it. The stadium is in a pretty awkward spot so don't look to stay anywhere near there. Bussing it is the go - there are also shuttles from the motel strip on Bowen Road if you're on a budget and don't care about the night life/post game entertainment.

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yeah Beaves nailed it. The stadium is in a pretty awkward spot so don't look to stay anywhere near there. Bussing it is the go - there are also shuttles from the motel strip on Bowen Road if you're on a budget and don't care about the night life/post game entertainment.
One doesn’t venture north for their first time and not visit the bustling habitat known as Flinders St........ I hear the local Ale House ‘The Mad Cow’ has quite an extensive catalogue of fine ale and 80’s discotech music......

Reactions: BDR

BDR

Staff member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
And the regions finest, sloppiest, drunkenest slags fit to fill your shoes with vomit on the cab ride home

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Yes I must tell mother to start venturing to other establishments......

Reactions: BDR

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I may want to meet the GOAT MPW while up north. I hear he hail from this mad cow you speak of?

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You may pick up a venereal disease if you stay at a Bowen Road hotel-it is a mecca for drug addicts/prostitutes.
The airbnb concept may be the best bet-could get a house proud, very clean place to stay...Kelso/Condon close to stadium, Garbutt close to airport-stay away from these suburbs...Kirwan may be hit n miss-you need to look at the map of the stadium and look for homes on the left side of Golf Links Drive-they should be all nice stays-i think this is classified as Kirwan still? So that is why you need to look at the map

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Bay 213.:happy:

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Beaves is spot on with the seating info. Was a season ticket holder in 314 for years and the view is perfect, can't miss a thing. Could even spot Sterlo's shiny dome clear as day when he was commentating. That bay or either side of would be my choice for sure. At least you'll get to experience the old stadium before she's gone!

Return of the Mack

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
The viewing from the eastern and western terraces and stands are quite excellent. As much as 1300SMILES is a dump that it well past its used by date, it's an excellent ground to view the game.

And yeah, city is the only worthwhile place to stay for a visitor not staying with friends.

Last edited:

Jagjaxon

First Grader
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Beaves is spot on with the seating info. Was a season ticket holder in 314 for years and the view is perfect, can't miss a thing. Could even spot Sterlo's shiny dome clear as day when he was commentating. That bay or either side of would be my choice for sure. At least you'll get to experience the old stadium before she's gone!
314 is the exact bay we are sitting in! How is that for luck!

Beaves NQ

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
You sorted out your accomodation?

I looked on airbnb and it was slim pickings. I reckon you are better off grabbing a hotel somewhere in the city so you got stuff to do in your downtime and then you have access to the leaguesy for transport on game day.

The Grand Chancellor is one of the ugliest buildings in the city but its location across from the leagues club is very handy. The Oaks on Palmer st is decent as well, stayed there for a week back in ‘13.

Stido

Captain
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
The Grand Chancellor is one of the ugliest buildings in the city but its location across from the leagues club is very handy.
They've just refurbished it inside Beave.

Canberra Cow

Qld Cup Player
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Very ugly building.
Whhhattt?? I loved that place when I was living in Townsville the ol sugar shaker has a lot of fond memories for me, still the ol Seaview and grab a granny Thursday night was awesome as well, does the James Cook Tavern still exist?