Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Farewell from C4L

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a clash between those who take internet smack talk with a grain of salt (largely younger people) and older people who treat the Internet and forums like it’s real life and take things to heart on it.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes there is a clash between those who take internet smack talk with a grain of salt (largely younger people) and older people who treat the Internet and forums like it’s real life and take things to heart on it.
I think some people in this forum might be officially or unofficially involved with the club. So they take it to heart if we are criticising Coach Green, Peter Parr or the players. Probably because they know them as mates etc.

I once got banned from another forum for saying a few words about James Tamou in 2015. The moderator didn't even listen to me when I explained I was a fan of his, but merely was highlighting that he wasn't up to it earlier that season. The moderator was friends with Tamou, and didn't allow anything against the party line.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
That's probably true tbh. I've been here since the about the start but I'm 34 yo. You and JP seem around the same demographic so prob explains a bit. I guess we are the new old guard these days.

Last edited:

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
At the end of the

That's probably true tbh. I've been here since the about the start but I'm 34 yo. You and JP seem around the same demographic so prob explains a bit. I guess we are the new old guard these days.
Yup, I am around the same age. I have been on this forum nearly a decade now. I still read League Unlimited at times, though.

Eaglestreetcowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I think some people in this forum might be officially or unofficially involved with the club. So they take it to heart if we are criticising Coach Green, Peter Parr or the players. Probably because they know them as mates etc.

I once got banned from another forum for saying a few words about James Tamou in 2015. The moderator didn't even listen to me when I explained I was a fan of his, but merely was highlighting that he wasn't up to it earlier that season. The moderator was friends with Tamou, and didn't allow anything against the party line.
That's a really good point.

Eaglestreetcowboy

Qld Cup Player
Donor
Reaction score
I also think with internet forums, there is a group of older posters who develop an etiquette amongst themselves of what is and isn't appropriate discussion. Newer members like myself join and have no idea about any of that and end up pissing off the older group.

@Jordan the last thing I would do is take these sort of complaints made by older members to heart as a moderator/staff/admin. Either you ignore them and they get pissed off and leave, or you try and appease them, newer members are deterred from posting, the forum suffers, and the older group leave anyway.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I also think with internet forums, there is a group of older posters who develop an etiquette amongst themselves of what is and isn't appropriate discussion. Newer members like myself join and have no idea about any of that and end up pissing off the older group.

@Jordan the last thing I would do is take these sort of complaints made by older members to heart as a moderator/staff/admin. Either you ignore them and they get pissed off and leave, or you try and appease them, newer members are deterred from posting, the forum suffers, and the older group leave anyway.
The older posters remind me a bit of the Australian cricket team. They seem to know what the line is, but nobody else does. They are allowed to sledge because they know where the line is, and they invented the line (in their minds anyway). But if anybody does something to upset them, then those people have crossed that line.

Jordan

Administrator
Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score

It's been less than a month and already I've noticed a pretty decent influx of new members. It's a shame losing some old members like Cowboys4life and an original in Beaves but at the end of the day this place is a discussion forum. It's really not the biggest commitment in life. I dont think anyone should be taking things so personally they feel they have to leave or make a big song and dance about it when they do.

I've never been one to over moderate. The more active this place becomes the better as far as I'm concerned.