Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Disabilities

gamkac

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
In regard to a comment made in the 'Round 26 thread' and speaking as a father of a boy with disabilities. These type of comments are 'water off a ducks back' to me and to be honest I did not 'get it' until it was explained. But I feel 'warm and fuzzy' to the members that voiced there objections, my wife and myself say thanks to you all.
But there is always another side to a coin. Yesterday after reading the 'thread comments' I received a phone call from a chap stating he was a Council worker and with his colleague have found my Ipad. I said I did not own a Ipad, but my disabled son does and it could be his, seeing that you got my number from it. These two guys went out of there road to return it to me that morning, I gave them my workplace address and I said I will be waiting out front and I will be wearing a 'Cowboys' jacket, he jokingly stated 'in that case we can't drop it off' LOL, anyway they did and yes it was my son's Ipad. This Ipad was not locked due to my son inability to open it, if it was locked. So it could have been just as easy for these guys to keep it.
I then contacted my son's carer and found out that he lost it the evening before and they had looked high and low for it. He was very pleased when I return it to him that evening.
Thanks again to members here and the two SC Council workers

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
All people with a disability get is a good parking space, and even then some of the general public make their assessments on whether the person is disabled enough to use that space.
A friend of mine has cerebral palsy-she walks basically on the side of her feet-so its hard for her to get around for long periods-she has to "bung it on, play up" that she is more disabled (when parking) so she can avoid confrontations from the public

Mark O Mac

Captain
5 Year Member
Reaction score
All people with a disability get is a good parking space, and even then some of the general public make their assessments on whether the person is disabled enough to use that space.
A friend of mine has cerebral palsy-she walks basically on the side of her feet-so its hard for her to get around for long periods-she has to "bung it on, play up" that she is more disabled (when parking) so she can avoid confrontations from the public
As far as I'm concerned, if the government has given them that parking permit, how can any one even argue about it?

Sure, there may be some dodgy folk out there with a permit they don't need, but that's on the government to resolve, not the general public.

CC

First Grader
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
My wife recently broke her leg, and we used a disable sticked for three months(ONLY). I was astonished at the number of disabled parkers who used these parking bays with no obvious disability, I agree it should be up to council inspectors to enforce these permits, but it should be undertaken now, with heavy penalty for fit people using them!