Hey, you! Yeah, YOU! Register now for your free account, it's quick and easy to sign up.

You'll gain access to the full features of the site and you can jump in with your comments whenever you want. It's a no brainer!

Cowboys you liked

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
Leigh mc William.. Reginald cressbrook..David faiumu..rod Jensen..David Myles.. Brenton bowen
Bluey..ray cashmere yeah
Wolfbrother ..Chris Sheppard..
And Shane muspratt in that young guns grand final performance..during the lean years at the club
Had the ball on a string..
One of the best individual performances I've seen..

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Glenn Morrison. People forget how good he played for the club.
A lot of people got on the bandwagon because of the 2004 finals run, and then 2005 grand final. A lot of other people have amnesia about the bad years as we sucked massively. But agreed. Morro deserves a form of legend status at the club.

It's ironic. He busted himself in an era when we were crap. Then left just as we were on the up. He also suffered some shocking back to back injuries. One in his last season with us, and then the other with Parra.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Leigh mc William.. Reginald cressbrook..David faiumu..rod Jensen..David Myles.. Brenton bowen
Bluey..ray cashmere yeah
Wolfbrother ..Chris Sheppard..
And Shane muspratt in that young guns grand final performance..during the lean years at the club
Had the ball on a string..
One of the best individual performances I've seen..

Needs more Brent McConnell in the young guns :p lol

Cowboy_4_Life

Staff member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I used to enjoy saying "Sione Faumuina" to the tune of "Funky Cold Madina"

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say Jimmy (Tamou) deserves a mention in this thread. One of my all time fave Cowboys. He genuinely had family pressures to leave, but otherwise seemed to love the club. I wish we still had him.

Injuries severely compromised him, and he received a lot of criticism for his approach (especially those games he started turning in tackles). But having had back and neck problems myself, I have to give the man credit for still even being in the league, and finding ways to manage the injury. I wasn't so kind to Jimmy at the time, but similar injuries caught up with me by about 2016. It still pains me I cannot play sport anymore.

I think the year was 2012 where he was just about the best prop in the game (though for longevity Thumper was probably still the best). He started 2015 poorly because of the above mentioned injury and approach to running (some calling him soft), but I am convinced we do not win the 2015 grand final without him. He must have been on a shortlist for the Churchill Medal too. It must have been the ANZAC day game against possibly Newcastle where he turned his entire season around and got the best of himself in spite of the injury.

As long as it is not necessarily against us, I'd love to see him lead Penrith to some success as captain now.

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
I'm going to say Jimmy (Tamou) deserves a mention in this thread. One of my all time fave Cowboys. He genuinely had family pressures to leave, but otherwise seemed to love the club. I wish we still had him.

Injuries severely compromised him, and he received a lot of criticism for his approach (especially those games he started turning in tackles). But having had back and neck problems myself, I have to give the man credit for still even being in the league, and finding ways to manage the injury. I wasn't so kind to Jimmy at the time, but similar injuries caught up with me by about 2016. It still pains me I cannot play sport anymore.

I think the year was 2012 where he was just about the best prop in the game (though for longevity Thumper was probably still the best). He started 2015 poorly because of the above mentioned injury and approach to running (some calling him soft), but I am convinced we do not win the 2015 grand final without him. He must have been on a shortlist for the Churchill Medal too. It must have been the ANZAC day game against possibly Newcastle where he turned his entire season around and got the best of himself in spite of the injury.

As long as it is not necessarily against us, I'd love to see him lead Penrith to some success as captain now.
We could really use him and Ashton Sims in the front row currently.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
We could really use him and Ashton Sims in the front row currently.
Agreed. I think we also miss Kane Linnett taking up some of those hard carries like a forward too.

Hey wasn't Ashton at our recent team launch? Good to see that he and the club still hold each other in strong regard :)

Desert Qlder

First Grader
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
A great regret is that Ashton didn't hang on for one more year with us, he would have formed a great part of a premiership team.

GunsUp42

Qld Cup Player
Reaction score
Antonio Winterstein. Great player who produced quality football over many years. Lost a lot at the back end due to those knees but could always be relied upon. Was promised a centre spot from memory but never sulked or whinged, which seems to be the norm for guys not playing the position they want these days, and put in everything he had for the club. Great guy to boot.

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
Antonio Winterstein. Great player who produced quality football over many years. Lost a lot at the back end due to those knees but could always be relied upon. Was promised a centre spot from memory but never sulked or whinged, which seems to be the norm for guys not playing the position they want these days, and put in everything he had for the club. Great guy to boot.
Yeah I vaguely remember it was reported that he joined us with the understanding he would play centre. It didn't turn out that way, and I think we copped a bad injury when he had a short centre stint for us (might have involved Manly and Mattai?).

I think we lost a lot when Winters declined and retired. I think he was one of the most liked and respected guys in the entire dressing room. He always put his body on the line. He may not have had the speed, but he had good strength and a bit of footwork to go with it. He knew how to finish off a play created by JT. He and Linnett also did a lot of underrated work getting us out of trouble early in the set.

I also think of that moment on grand final day. We are on stage celebrating and he points to the heavens. I think his brother passed away some time before it.

Suncoast cowboy

Junior
Reaction score
How about Paul Rauhihi..Mitchell nose beer Sargeant...
Our best ever finisher Matty sing
I used to love watching ty Williams and mango
Tearing through the middle after a break from payney or faiumu or rocket rod..
Why does a hooker have to play 80 minutes now?
Smallest forward on the paddock that does the most work...
Loved Graeme Murray's hooker rotation
Worked a treat for us..
More teams apart up the middle..

Milligna

Bench Warmer
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Reaction score
How about Paul Rauhihi..Mitchell nose beer Sargeant...
Our best ever finisher Matty sing
I used to love watching ty Williams and mango
Tearing through the middle after a break from payney or faiumu or rocket rod..
Why does a hooker have to play 80 minutes now?
Smallest forward on the paddock that does the most work...
Loved Graeme Murray's hooker rotation
Worked a treat for us..
More teams apart up the middle..
You summed it up for me Suncoast, can't fault any of your picks.

paulo_w

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Donor
Reaction score
Do you guys think, Gilbert has that same aggression as LOD, but Gilbert might be more precise and not attract excessive penalties?

Joshpryor87

Origin Rep
5 Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly feel so gutted by the personal struggles LOD later had. Always had time for us fans in his Cowboys years, and was once even a non-drinker. Always played hard for the jersey (sometimes too hard). Those Tiger pr**ks tried to break his freaking leg and some, and yet they got off, and Luke was punished hard any time he showed aggression to the Tigers, including Liam Fulton.

Metro

First Grader
Reaction score
Imagine Graham Murray with this team. I’d feel a lot more confident. And we would play better looking footy.

HTF would probably be on the wing if Murray was coach.

Last edited:

fanfromsingapore

Junior
Reaction score
Ty Williams and Matt Sing.

Laurie Spina. We only got one season out of him as a player. But as a commentator, he has no equal.